1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I guess this is goodbye.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by thefrozenone, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thefrozenone

thefrozenone Master Chief

While, I don't have much time spent on the forums aside from lurking, I bought Starbound months ago with the prospect of playing and supporting a game I have been waiting for for ages: a sandbox space exploration game where the universe is yours to discover. Instead I got more of a "proof of concept" alpha game that was rather skeletal. But no biggie, it was still Early Access and I was quite honestly blown away by the plans Chucklefish had for the game. Even the base game looked great. I was STOKED for what was to come. I was genuinely expecting Starbound to be one of my favorite games of all time. The music, the art, what gameplay there was, was all amazing. I played the game almost everyday, logging into steam hoping for a new update constantly.

But...nothing.

Alright, no biggie I figured stuff like that happens. I still loved the game and hoped for it to be great. The daily updates are kind of cool, but they seem rather sporadic and unorganized. I love how much they are working on, but why does it seem like they move onto new projects before others are finished? Why does it seem to take them so long with some basic updates that could be pushed out in a couple of hours? Why is Chucklefish constantly stirring up drama? Where is the community manager? The Novakid already? Why are they working something so minor when there are so many other far more important aspects that have barely even been touched? Already talking about version 1.0? Why, when we are clearly not even remotely close to being ready for it? To make matters worse, Tiy himself posts that he believes Starbound is acceptable in it's current state, just because it is playable?

Over and over and over again with no end in sight. Virtually every update leaves me even more depressed as Chucklefish's lack of managerial experience and ability to organize development is growing more and more apparent. As with almost every indie developer, Chucklefish seems to not have the experience necessary to properly operate a cohesive, efficient, and productive project. Not setting a proper development schedule, acting aggressive toward the community, and lacking good foresight. At this point, I even question if Tiyuri (no offense intended) even has experience leading projects beyond acting as a spriter for Terraria.

As much as it pains me to say this, it looks like I'm going to have to abandon Starbound. While most of you are probably rolling your eyes and going to call me an idiot, my hope is that this post is simply one voice of many that helps the Chucklefish team understand that their mistakes are not just affecting the "crazies" out there, but also the people who genuinely hoped to fall in love with this game. I hope that at some point, they don't just try to make it to the "1.0 release", but to try to far surpass the remaining players' expectations.

However, for me, this will unfortunately be the last time I have anything to do with Starbound as I do not have the energy to keep this up any longer and have lost almost all of my interest. I genuinely hope the game turns out well fo those still on-board. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Ta-ta. Be sure to poke your head in when the next update rolls around.

warcore, Wolfie Inu, Akado and 2 others like this.
  3. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

umm.... bye?

4. ObsidianDragon13

ObsidianDragon13 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

err ok later i guess.

Serenity likes this.
  5. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

:cry: I barely knew ye, farewell friend let's not forget the good times. We will miss you friend.

warcore, FunAsylum, DotBeta and 2 others like this.
  6. TenshiCZ

TenshiCZ Star Wrangler

They have your money, they dont care :D

7. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

fixed that for you

back on topic, i feel this topic isnt gonna add much to the discution of starbound might as well close it =p

Serenity likes this.
  8. krylo

krylo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Just play other games until it's done?

I don't get people who get so caught up in any one game that it getting boring to them is a dramatic/tragic event or who swear off games when it happens. There's other things to do and the game will be here (and MIGHT even be updated) when you feel like playing it again.

It's not the end of the world if you get tired of a game, regardless of whether it's in an early state or not.

Jbeetle, DaJoe85 and Serenity like this.
  9. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Back in the day if I wrote letters like this to nintendo for the fact that their games didn't update with new features I would be called a silly boy, a nerd, and socially ostracized by my peers.

And save files were a luxury.

Gamers really have it too good these days. :p

10. Fiben Bolger

Fiben Bolger Pangalactic Porcupine

After reading that, "Rolling your eyes" seems a an incredibly weak term to express the sheer amount of "Yeah, right" I'm feeling.

warcore, Guthrie28, yclatious and 2 others like this.
  11. No Leaf Clover

No Leaf Clover Space Hobo

I am genuinely astounded. The reactions to the original posts are inappropriate. As someone who loves the project, this guy should be at least considered.

KeesDeNeger, Colton, Mood and 3 others like this.
  12. Serenity

He should be considered for what? I am confused. Please explain what you mean by that.

13. HugeGuns

HugeGuns Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What he means is that those who reply don't even consider/take him seriously.

I'm all for development time and polishing.
    What did piss me off is the fact that they start working on other games, it makes me feel cheated and "deprioritized".
    It hasn't gotten to the point where I'm pulling my hair, after all they're an indie company.

But hey, according to you lads "it's not the end of the world", and that makes everything okay for you apparently.

Mood likes this.
  14. Chucklefish published other games -- but the Starbound development team is still working on Starbound. They have not been hindered. The other published games have their own dev teams for those games.

The Mute One, Shaku Arai and Serenity like this.
  15. The majority if your questions aren't actually questions. Most of them are statements on how you FEEL the game / company is being run. They have 7 people working on the project (that I can recall but the number is inconsequential), they can't all be working on the same features at the same time (using something like SVN to manage versioning, literally they can't simultaneously work on the same bits of code). So when Armagon talks about mini-dungeons and Kyren talks about the tile rendering engine and Metadept talks about combat revisions, They're all talking about active projects they are independently working on. Games are not developed one piece at a time unless you are talking about a single person Dev team.

I'm curious to know why you think CF is stirring up drama. The problems caused by updates (lets talk horse-tits) are just as much the fault of the tin-foil hat masses making conjecture about thing to which they know nothing.
    I don't understand why people take cheap-shots at Molly. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean she isn't busy and working her butt off like everyone else. There are people who work for CF that aren't visible to the community at all, does this mean those people don't exist and don't put forth just as much effort as the Devs? Hell no.
    The 1.0 their talking about is the BETA 1.0 release. Since people seem to think there is a correlation between version number and completeness, let me spell it out: Beta 0.X was Stage 1 beta. Beta 1.x is going to be Stage 2. Presumably Beta 2.x is going to be Stage 3. See? They aren't slapping the "this game is complete" label on it, just "this game had a major update" like what a major version number is supposed to mean.
    If they want to add Novakids, they'll add them. It's one of the most asked for things at this point and lets face it, aside from a decent bit of art, they can use the majority of the infrastructure they already have for the other races. Also, look at the Gate they built, it includes Novakids. Now if they make the Novakids part of the main story and they have to depict them in art assets, it'd be best that they look similar if not identical to how the player race looks. Simply put, it's something they need to do to make sure Novakids don't feel like a last minute addition stapled onto the universe.

Anyway, I'm (personally) going to add this to the long list of ill informed, emotionally charged, hyper-critical rants and be done with it.

EDIT: Also, did you even read Tiy's post about 1.0? If you did, you clearly missed the giant flashing neon sign saying they weren't going to push a 1.0 "finished" release until the game had what they wanted in it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    Peelz, Cost, Shaku Arai and 3 others like this.
  16. Serenity

I don't know the sentence structure is weird.
    "As someone who loves the project, this guy should be at least considered."

17. Alternate sentence structure (trying to make the fewest changes):
    As someone who loves the project, I think this guy's opinion should at least be considered.

Shaku Arai, Serenity and Mood like this.
  18. No Leaf Clover

No Leaf Clover Space Hobo

Ah well, typed this in a rush with my 2 years old on my back, haha.
    Well, at least someone got it right.
    What I meant is that it's a bit easy to dismiss him with goodbyes and stuff like that meaning "we don't care".
    it's the usual stuff on game boards thoiugh, but you guys shouldn't dismiss complaints that are at least polite and structured.
    I find this harsh as well (no personal attack here). What I don't get is this : when people seem to be driven by their love for the game, and structure their opinions in something else than an agressive rant against CF, I think they souldn't be received that harshly. That's my opinion, anyway, and is slightly off topic.

janusforbeare, Mood and Pingeh like this.
  19. yclatious

yclatious Guest

You seem to be depressed that features are being added into the game...
    If disregard of Structure will get us a Performance patch,Novakids,Outposts,New Progression,and all that in just 1 patch,then I do not understand your depression.

Yeah,you will be back when the game is updated anyhoo.

if you dont,you will purposefully ignore the 15 bucks that costed youy the game,a rather idiotic act to simply abandon a game with a crapton of potential too,and if you do check out the upcoming Update you willl be back,and eventualy you will gain your interest back.

If you do leave,guess goodbye?None here seems to know you,and you arent exactly the most active,so,whats the big deal,a cry for atention?
    None of us are in any form woried about what you are worried about,atleast the majority isnt,so,kinda useless.

Bah,see ya round,dotn see ya round,doesent matter.

Serenity likes this.
  20. icerimp

icerimp Big Damn Hero

Just wait until it comes out and play it then. If you're getting depressed following the game development then cutting it off is healthier. And you can just pick it up once it's out fully.

Serenity likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.