1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Huge Spoiler] The Ark.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Garatgh Deloi, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Anciendraak

Anciendraak Star Wrangler

Huh. Didn't actually know that first bit. But yes, they can be. Though this just makes me wonder as to their intellect still. Do all the children have this natural talent?

2. Verruciformis

Verruciformis Aquatic Astronaut

Whoa, I've got a big honking case of deja vu right about now. Has anyone else in here played Okami? Remember the Ark of Yamato? It looked like this, and I really can't not see the similarities here.

[​IMG]

I mean, it's pretty easy to draw parallels between the two. The pictographs, the colors, the fact that it's called the Ark. For anyone who hasn't played, this is a boss rush kind of area, and the final boss of the game (the god of darkness) is found here, as well as a few spirits who expand on some lore. Sort of wondering if there'll be any more parallels where that's concerned.

This could probably be a dud but hey, thought I'd bring it up.

3. baltosaa

baltosaa Pangalactic Porcupine

Interesting.

But at the same time this seems strange,

Starbound is about playing as a member of a species who has achieved space-flight and all that awesome stuff,

And usually its those people who are seen and depicted as godlike beings by primitive peoples..

Yet now we have a godlike being who seems to be misunderstood by people who are surely capable of the things that this "god" is shown doing..

Strange, seems a bit backwards (In a way), but still interesting nonetheless.

4. Adampr

Adampr Void-Bound Voyager

Starbound always incorporates memes and stuff from other games as a homage, just look at some of the luxury items. One example is that the final tier human armour suspiciously looks like Halo armour, so I don't think its by accident ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1427324480][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Maybe its suggesting that no matter how advance you become, there will always be some person or race more (or less) advanced than you.

5. Jackie2581

Jackie2581 Title Not Found

Here's what I got out of the ark. There's basically 2 gods. One is that tentacle commet (most likely representing destruction) and a humanoid figure (closest description is the floran's God). And the destruction of earth was foretold and that human figure is keeping those tentacle commets from swallowing the universe.

6. Kufell

Kufell Pangalactic Porcupine

Personally, as of right now the way I'm presuming this to be is that rather than being a god, the beings depicted in the Ark are just a greatly more advanced species, who our races view or have viewed in the past as gods due to their advancement.
    Still from what can be presumed so far, I either way I find the concept overdone and dull.. 'God-like' species of tentacle monsters threatening the universe, another higher god-like species comes along and deals with the threat by sealing them away. The rest of the 'lower' species come to view this/both species as gods.

Of course there could be a lot more to come in terms of a greater plot, which I hope there is. Time will tell.

7. MutatedAlien

MutatedAlien Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ok, after reading all the LONG comments about sci/fi, religion and florans, I'm going to give my input on what I think the story should, and could be.

Te starbound universe begins like ours, big bang all that stuff. So as it does a alien race evolves, one of the first of the new galaxy. This race ventures out and colonizes, tests and helps other race, like the glitch and avian. Then the tentacle monster attacks! Like in halo, the most powerful race, and overseers of the galaxy fight this new enemy. They banish and/or kill it, but they suffer very heavy losses. This causes their level of technology to devolve, and their knowlage as a speiceis. The higher ups, the leaders see this happening and decide to set up the Ark, either around the portal to the tenticle monster, or to a new galaxy, in case the monster comes again (like the Halo's). The once almost god like race either goes extinct, forgets the true nature of the past and becomes humans, or becomes the missing race.

I think something like this will defiantly be the story, plus the modern story-line. I have a lot of problems with it, like the inspiration from halo (but it sure does look like it) it might just be my personal bias.

8. TheEpicFox

TheEpicFox Tentacle Wrangler

i have decoded the message! collect the six keys and place them here to open the black hole.[DOUBLEPOST=1433955644][/DOUBLEPOST]PS:it was written in substitution ciphe :kitten2:[DOUBLEPOST=1433955707][/DOUBLEPOST]
    no,you need to find 6 keys,as i have said before

9. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

10. Kattanos

Kattanos Pangalactic Porcupine

All this talk of the Ark, collecting keys, and a tentacle monster hidden on the other side of the door gives me a sense of deja vu... It is almost like I have seen this somewhere before..... But where?

11. Maholix

Maholix Void-Bound Voyager

So.. while randomly listening to stuff on youtube, while playing starbound (on my pirate character) at the same time. When this came on. It made me think of this thread and the one Peelz linked above. Mainly because of all the talk about the tenta-planet and questions like "why do we need a ship that can go through black holes? Are we going inside the creature? What is it?" at the time, it made me think of a space kraken.. I got this image in my head of a living machine, which slowly began eating space ships and planets, turning itself into a massive cyborg with fleshy tentacles.

I don't know what the ark holds, but references to some sort of space kraken have been floating around in game for awhile now. It's very possible this is the intent. To give us a sort of space kraken with a strange twist. I fully expect the lore or quests to at least give a nod to 20,000 leagues under the sea. Maybe they'll claim the orginal leaders of the races were part of the same crew at some point.. like, they lived on a weaponized space station maybe, but something went wrong so they went their separate ways. Now many years later, the ark must be dealt with.

12. darkside1402

darkside1402 Void-Bound Voyager

Wait ! the tentacles are that thing that we can see on tentacles planets that eat the planet and then destroy it,right ?!

13. liknzelda

liknzelda Big Damn Hero

The second picture looks like the layout of the Mines mission. The Giant crystal and the tunnel-like structure look just like the Mines.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  14. Slippery Slime

Slippery Slime Big Damn Hero

I wonder if the people that wear those weird eye hats are going to relate back to this

15. maxiestagate

maxiestagate Space Hobo

Is it just me or is the "World Eater" Behind the walls as in photo 3 and 4 you can see tentacles, therefore maybe he was turned to stone and is now awakening. But in No. 2 You can see a foot. Maybe one of the god race as told in the inscribing in photo 4. One more thing, the person in the inscribing seems to be pushing the World Eater into something.[DOUBLEPOST=1440842831][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Or maybe The aftermath of the World eaters being "Destroyed" caused the Nova-kids to be born. A quote from most NPCs around the game "Are you made of pure energy?". Which could have been the reason why they are not in the inscribing because they weren't born yet. One more quote, some humans in the game ask this "Are you the result of a burning star?"

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Fina likes this.
  16. squidspeaker

squidspeaker Subatomic Cosmonaut

So I don't have the time to read through to see if this was mentioned before, but I guess I'll mention it again if it has.

If any of you are familiar with with the 1997 movie, "The Fifth Element", you would know that there a great evil that plans to destroy the universe, and yada yada you get the point. Well, the movie takes place in a extremely futuristic world, with flying cars, space ships, and different alien races. If we take "an extremely futuristic world, with flying cars, space ships, and different alien races" and put it out of context, that right off the bat sounds a lot like Starbound.

Next, the "Fifth Element" is needed to be taken to an ancient alter, with four stones, to defeat the great evil.
    From what we see at the Arc, six stones are required to open the gate into the Black Hole.

My point is, is that it's not exactly out of place to have some ancient, fantasy evil be in a sci-fi genre. Movie makers already did it 18 years ago, and it was, imho, one of the best movies of that year. From what it's looking is that the Starbound devs are kinda leaning towards something like that.

Also there's a costume in game that resembles an outfit that the lead female of The Fifth Element wears as homage to the movie so that just kinda confirms it

17. maxiestagate

maxiestagate Space Hobo

Found this in the mining mission, could be linked
    2015-08-31_00001.jpg

18. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Yep, I am pretty sure that has been pointed out already dozens of times by now, and probably mentioned a couple times in this thread. It's already been translated too, though I don't have the translation handy.

19. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Unless im mistaken its "It will return".

Mackinz likes this.
  20. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile