1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Huge Spoiler] The Ark.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Garatgh Deloi, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Ramones_fan

Ramones_fan Pangalactic Porcupine

What if thy are more like the titans of greek mythology, or the gate dreators in the stargate mythos, or any hyper technological race that seems to be gods to those who survived them or came after them.

2. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

Well if you feel the need to be all cyber-hyper-atheist of doodoom you could always just say
    that they were illuminati giants who geneticed us into existence from potted plants.

Humans share 5% of their DNA with grapes, so who knows.

Peppersnap likes this.
  3. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

right, but he seems vastly smarter than even most of the apex scientists. then theres also the secret he keeps from everyone.
    im going to guess that greenfingers intelligence isnt something he learned over those years, but something else.

but its really all a guess, it could be anything

4. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

It's just a guess. A GAME guess!
    Drinkdietpepsithey'repayingourchannelgoodtoadvertiseit.

5. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

I don't think floran are uneducated at all. An uneducated race couldn't retrofit a FTL drive onto a makeshift ship, take out another races' home world (hylotl) nor be such a feared race without some smarts.

Now, are they overly focused on hunting? Sure, but they are not daft.

Peppersnap and TrueEdge like this.
  6. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Im not saying florans are dumb, but ts pretty much fact that they are uneducated in general. Theres for example a writeing ban on effect in floran villages (they arent allowed to learn how to write or read), since when they did learn how to write they spent their time making graffiti everywhere.

For me personaly i get the impression that florans are savant like geniuses, realy uneducated, stupid and akward in some ways but they can do complicated mathematics and stuff without even trying. Their ability to read binary seems to support my theory (they cant write or read but the understand binary code with a glance o_O).

7. Anciendraak

Anciendraak Star Wrangler

Plant life is scary man. for that matter, plants, fungi, and their relationship with animals and insects and each other is absolutely horrifying if you look into it. Give plants a more focused mind (or perhaps a less focued one) and you get the Floran - extremely intelligent, yet to stupid to fully make use of it. Kinda like the two extremes of humans really, being both super smart, yet super stupid because of their focused life and traditions. A few break the mold and move forward though. Wonder how many people actually know about most the lore in game, not just about the Floran...

Mackin, my Torchic friend, you are either trolled a lot or people really don't like your views to claim for them to be anxious to belittle you. o_O

But I do see potential in this near train-wreak of a cliche. We see a single person holding a system and planet with a moon, then a single person fighting. People seem to be attributing things to this person as well, such as he might be a race and not a single entity. things to this are the missing head on the gate stone, and the lore. But throughout the lore there is only one "deity" who was actually a mortal and got his position based on the speculation of the people he ruled due to their culture - and that's Kluex. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but there is no known singular being besides Kluex who is a "god." Otherwise it has always been a race that we know little to nothing about. Another notion is that this singular being only has this appearance; nobody else sees it, knows about it, or probably even knows about this entire event. Another notion is that Earth was destroyed by this creature most likely, or a descendant of it, meaning he didn't fully trap it if it's behind the door. So, here's the analysis;

Being could not stop creature entirely,
    Being no longer exists most likely as it hasn't bothered to make any other appearance,
    The mere concept of a god REQUIRES belief for it to exist, as if there is no belief, there can be no god to begin with,
    If it is a god, that thing is capable of deicide, the killing of a god, as it was able to either force it into a state of retreat or outright murderer the thing before it was shoved away (might explain all the "statues" as it murdered the god before it was fully pushed out and away) so we have little to no hope of actually murdering the thing...

...Unless those bits the six original races are holding are pieces of the god-like being. In which case, THAT is something you should spit on based on speculation, as that is more cliche then "God being created universe" as it's an extremely common motif to have in most games now-a-days, especially in science fiction where most advanced races are attributed to being "god-like" before you or someone else goes "Nope, looks like we were wrong, lets advance ourselves to their level rapidly so we can repeat history by finding all their bits of techno-bip-bops and putting them in the things to do the thing that we have no idea what will do or how."

What concerns me more is the advanced race. Namely for the reason stated above; someone had to make that place. Someone needed to be left behind to know the story, or at least pass it so it could be write down (in this case engraved.) More to the point, it's extremely vague. It tells a simplistic story, but gives no notion of "do not open" or anything like it. We actually do not know if that gate is a door never meant to be open, or the gate to the god-like being, still alive and trying to recover. But if this race does still exist, they've purposely (cliche) stricken themselves from history as we know it, they've left no trace (cliche...) of themselves beyond those weird matter-generator dungeon places, which I don't think are them at all, probably some apex, they've build up several races (Cliche...!) in the past and thus defined them where they are if they are one race, and they've managed to do all of this effortlessly; there are no ruins, no real means to know they existed, the only thing is The Ark (bit of a cliche name, but makes you think based on what we attribute an ark too. What exactly is that thing holding?) which is vague (Cliche!), offers no notion of anything other then "door" (not as cliche, but still) and gives you a main quest. I will let the last one slide, because that means "Goal" to me which we desperately need in my book that doesn't revolve around FRIGGIN' ARMOR AND WEAPONS! (general game cliche.)

But the potential lies in how they actually present this. While I will agree with you that, if this goes where I think it's going, this will be terrible. There is something wrong with making it a god-like being in my opinion, but I find it worse to make the advanced race like every other "forgotten" race to ever exist... Halo has already kicked the dead horse as hard as possible and trying harder would cause your foot to either break or go through it, and Halo's foot which got stuck in it. It's still possible that this gate leads to something more then just the end boss, and can provide a unique twist on the current state of the games lore.

In closing, while it is possible to dismiss this as belittling, I still stand by my thoughts. We should be more concerned with the advanced race rather then a god-being who is either most likely dead or completely unimportant in the first place. If they make him important, I say we take up the practice of deicide, possible with mods, and teach game devs that it is not okay to continue taking up the torch long after it has finally gone out.

People in control often don't wish to reliquish that control, so yes, it's possible they do. It would explain a bit as to why the Floran are like the way they are, the pieces giving them a greater form of sentience, but at to rapid a rate. to diminish the effects knowledge is restricted form them and they are given something different to focus on, attributing more to a animistic-like focus of hunting where they only seek to do that. When exposed to technology this has an alternate effect as they are now curious and actively seek answers probably even in hunting (such as best way to stab something.) The more advanced we get the more technologically complex things get, and as stated in a previous quotation, they seem to be able to understand binary extremely well given that they can't read or write. This further attributes to the effects of these pieces being able to rapidly alter their awareness and intellect. As such it would make sense for Greenfinger to hold onto it, limiting his people so they can advance properly and learn restraint, starting from a basic set to a more advanced one with time.

Big Ape is clearly much more different. If he does have the piece, he clearly wants absolute domination over his people. To do this, he rapidly increased their intelligence, only to realize that he's putting them closer and closer to his level. To prevent this, he needs a form of control, and as such has developed a more dictator like role, keeping his people under his boot while advancing more, while simultaneously slowing his people's advancement with memory alteration. To remove any evidence of what he has, he destroys it, furthering his peoples slow development while he keeps in control as he's able to move constantly ahead of them. It could be that he wants to bring themselves into a state of technological advancement that he can rival the old race, or go even beyond them. Maybe he even found The Ark and interpreted it differently, or knows what exactly is beyond it and wishes to prepare his people, but needs to carefully lead and control them. It also brings to question what is going on in the labs; why are they making mutated forms of themselves? Why are they so much stronger? Is it to make a soldier like most advanced races seem to do now-a-days? Why?

There are several connections to draw to other races as well. For instance, why only earth? What was so important about earth for it to be destroyed by the tentacle beast? Of all the races to chose from - Floran who are under developed and cannot escape so it's basically free food, the Hyloti who have no home and are probably much more spread out, the Glitch, trapped in their traditions and beliefs due to programing bugs, so many easier targets to chose from. We could take it up as basic feeding instinct or the fact it survives entirely off planets and not what is on them, but from the tentacle creature's drawing it seems to destroy for the sake of it, yet another reason to dismiss all this.

But if it's just blind destruction, why haven't we really gotten any reports? The most we know of is the tentacle creature attacked and destroyed earth, and probably a "few" other planets. In game we see tentacle planets but oddly enough these planets are capable of having and keeping life, least in the old game, so it can't be the same tentacle creature that destroys planets as it's larger then any other. Something just doesn't add up to me in that regard...

It would also make sense that Kluex was a holder of a piece actaully, thus why he ruled so effortlessly. Lore wise it is stated that most of his life is now forgotten to time, and the people revere him as a deity who judges the souls of the deceased. People who are attributed to gods after death are ones that left such an enormous impact on their people that they go recorded as people who, given time and the telephone effect, view their actions as otherworldly, magnificent, or, even, god-like. With a piece in hand, based on this train of thought, people would eventually view it like this given time. He also suddenly vanished with no trace. What exactly did he find or do? and considering how long ago this was, did he relinquish the piece he has? or has it kept him alive and he's merely left his people for other reasons?

Welp, there's my long rant. Two in one month, new record...

Mackinz likes this.
  8. Spike

Spike Supernova

It's still a bit too simplistic given that the depictions merely described an evil entity, and that all 6 races probably needs to band together to erase this menace from the universe (which is pretty difficult to implement, and Tiy will probably settle for you the player finishing off the final boss, and have the other races help in a Deux Ex Machinima sort of way). But I suppose it works, if they can flesh out the story just a tad more; they have time, given that the game's not a full release by a long shot.

9. Anciendraak

Honestly look around and you'll often find it is a single entity or organization that pulls most the evil crap in the world. For all we know that tentacle beast could be the accumulation of several races wanting to kill that one person - it's still the main issue. Hell it itself could be several tentacle beasts warped up into one almighty freaky being. Still one problem. It's cliche, but difficult to avoid. After reading through mythology that became grossly apparent to me. ;_;

I agree with the races though. I'm hoping that instead of you fighting the big baddy and winning they figure out that they don't actually have to. Have us lose, or give us some legitimate reason to defeating it - like throwing it into a black hole like a lot of the previous comments said it was thrown into (that'd be FAR to simple... every big bad must have been forced back at some point or held back, but never killed till the thousand odd customizable heroes/heroins rise up to fight it over and over again for that s- I play to many MMOs I'm sorry.) or having all the races at least make something so one person can go themselves to at least combat it...

... new theory - that being thing is a giant construct. We get to pilot it. :D Yessssss, cliche, but if I can destroy planets and build up an empire based off that thing, I do NOT care!

Also, what story, because so far all I've seen is background information. It doesn't need work, it needs to exist in the first place. ;_;

10. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

floran have a natural talent for reverse engineering unknown technology. give them a gun and they have no idea how it works, let them take it apart and they could make a thousand more... and still not know how it works.
    im not really sure how they managed to take out the hylotl home world
    they are only so feared because of how good they are at using weapons (mostly spears) and they actually have pretty good tactics

their general knowledge is mostly non-existent, but they things they do know, they know better than pretty much anyone else.

11. Anciendraak

Kind of what I mean. go throughout the game and you'll eventually find dungeons where they have armor, guns, and have tamed an animal or two. Considering their behavior normally, this isn't normal. Most Florans would in fact kill anything on sight, judging from most normal Florans I've seen in game. These ones seem a bit more organized and advanced then the others, which you CAN simply throw into their ability to reverse engineer, but I doubt that is the case. Floran villagers don't attack outright, these one's do. It's like they got MORE violent the more they learned.

Thus why I don't believe it's not exactly that they are undereducated, more that they have had their natural intellect limited. At some level they must understand what they are doing in order to actually do it in the first place, especially for coding an AI, recreating guns, weapons, and FTL ships, and having the ability to generally do what they do. Dumb luck only goes so far before it wears out, and despite their reputation, they still persist. Most people would probably kill Florans on sight if they didn't show the ability to change, and many have. As they are easily able to change in the first place, they must have a much wider range of adaption that even humans have, part of which goes to our intelligence. We often quickly learn that we can't go through the mountain perhaps, but we can find ways over, under, or around it. Reverse engineering could in fact have started with them via trial and error - recreating something over and over until getting it just right, but to do that you'd also inevitably learn how these things work. You might not understand the over all principles, yes, but you do know what needs to be done to get them functioning.

I kinda attribute it to my ability to play music, yet not read it. I learned where and how to move to create a specific sound, and learned the rythem rather then follow the notes.

As for knowledge wise, I'd still kinda argue that. It's extremely primitive, that I will not argue, but to have good tactics against an entirely different species, you need to have knowledge of them. The fact that both are actually intelligent as well means they'd need to have some form of military tactics. They are excellent weapon users, ranging from more then just the spear as seen in what they can make throughout the game. Even their armor eventually acts as a form of hyper-photosynthesis, granted that's the player and you've advanced to that point, though that itself can be another factor to show their intellect and intelligence.

Basically I just view them as having something forcibly limiting their intellect, be it life-style or some outside force. Given what these things can do, it just makes plants even MORE terrifying for me...

12. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

Fantasy is fiction.

TrueEdge likes this.
  13. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

And fiction does not equal fantasy.

14. Anciendraak

If only, but no. They are two very different things. Besides, Even if they were, Sci-Fi got it's only place for being a specific form of fiction, and while Starbound has some fantasy elements, it is strongly Sci-Fi.

Though with this ark thing and murals, I'd DEFIANTLY throw that into the Fantasy pit. I swear, if they add some sprite that keeps screaming you are the chosen one, I'm going to find a way to release that thing and LET it rampage...

TrueEdge and Mackinz like this.
  15. Silverforte

I was not talking about the genre. The words 'fantasy' and 'fiction' both technically mean 'fake' in a sense. You guys are too tightly and stubbornly set into your corners. Nobody said because the game is scifi that it has to adhere to that genre except you guys.

TrueEdge likes this.
  16. Anciendraak

One; No, I did NOT say it has to adhere to that genre. I gave examples of how it can FIT into the genre. It is not my game, and it is up to the devs to do as they like. All I particularly care about is the lore. And for that matter, I was agreeing that this form of being had potential.

Two; Plenty of words in the English language mean the end result same, does not make them the same word. Considering the fact that we have stolen several words from several different civilizations and break nearly every single one of our own rules, this isn't very surprising. Hell it's why adjectives exist.

Three; I am a writer. I write fiction. I do not write fantasy all that often. Fantasy doesn't mean fake for that matter. It can be something fake or non-existent like legitimate magic, or creating something through an impossible means, like nothing, to give an example, so yes, in a sense that is correct. Considering all you gave is "Fantasy is Fiction" You're not exactly depicting this. o_O

So, please read carefully what we say (though I admit I post a lot in a single sitting and it's hard to sit and read through it all at times), and please don't accuse us of being stubborn based on information you've attached to our statements.

Mackinz and TrueEdge like this.
  17. Silverforte

I could say the same to you when you go on diatribes about information I wasn't bringing up in the first place. Again, I was merely stating the definitions of the two words 'fantasy' and 'fiction' are similar. There was no need for you to fly off the handle and turn it into an argument or to inform us (without being asked) about your 'expertise'. My only point was that the game doesn't have to stick to science fiction just because a lot of people might like it to.

18. Anciendraak

... Expertise... >_> Okay then. Also, diatribes. Like claiming we're stubbornly set in corners about our outlooks and that we claimed that it needed to be Sci-Fi only (none of which we did) or like me putting emphasis on words? Again, all you said was "Fantasy is Fiction." That didn't give any notion on what you were trying to say. It's just a statement that gives literally no information other then "they are the same thing." I figured you didn't either know the difference, or found no difference between the two. As for my expertise, I assume you're talking about my statement to being a writer, and perhaps I wasn't clear. I don't like what I write to be solely attributed to Fantasy when that isn't what it is. Like telling a Musician that plays rock is actually playing metal. Finally I don't see anywhere were I stated that it needed to stick solely to Sci-Fi.

However I can see where I may have sounded forceful and I apologize. Was not my intent. The only point I had tried to make was that they are not the same, and I couldn't really tell yours form just three world and a period.

19. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

even young floran have been seen to reverse engineer things they have never seen before pretty well, which shows that floran do have a natural talent for reverse engineering things. but of course talents can still be practiced.

20. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

6 faces. A cube has 6 faces. One face of a cube has 4 sides. How many omnipotent god entities are there? That's right, 2. 4-2=2, which is the number of races left out in the 6 faces represented. Of the 2, 1 is not present on the gate. 1+2 =3. A triangle has 3 sides. The tentacle monster has an eye. Triangle + eye =?
    That's right. The illuminati awaits you past the gate.