1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Huge Spoiler] The Ark.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Garatgh Deloi, Mar 12, 2015.

1. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Well, it's disappointing they removed the 8th race symbol from the gate although it's understandable.....it pushed people to dig deep into the secrets of the gate and deciphered the text on the gate itself, revealing that opening it will open a black hole. I don't think they expected people to find out so much so the removed the main instigator.

2. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

"Fix" is probably the wrong word here. But "The Ark" always seems to be the cliche giant space ship/station, hence probably why see it as adequate. (See this wikipedia page for the word "Ark"...)
    I believe it should be something both more original and more grand, more... dramatic. Perhaps the megalith? Or maybe the oculus gate?

Nobody is saying that the "god race" is at all worshipped as gods at all. In fact, the opposite of that. I'm presonally refering to them as the god race because they made the gates, along with probably uplifting the avians and making the glitch (and maybe the novakid, too).
    Nobody said they created the universe, either.
    They're likely just a very powerful race that saw themselves as guardians of the universe. (Or galaxy, if you prefer).
    ...Also, let me just mention... the church of scientology was created by a sci-fi writer...

3. Ryumaru

Ryumaru Big Damn Hero

Now I'm picturing the Reapers playing "Hooked on a Feeling" every time they enter a system looking for you in Mass Effect 3.

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  4. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Except both of those things don't qualify to describe an entire AREA. They are used to describe OBJECTS.

5. DarthTrethon

None? You realize it has been brought up by several people right?

6. DaedricShadow

DaedricShadow Pangalactic Porcupine

Why are you so against religion or the idea of a 'god' in the game? Sure, you might not believe in a god in real life, but this is a game. If you're that hateful against the hinted (and not even confirmed) idea of a god race in Starbound, then you're sure as hell not going to like Assassin's Creed, Ascend: Hand of Kul, any games in the Marvel Universe, God of War or the entire Elder Scrolls franchise. There is really no reason for you to be angry at the game simply because it doesn't agree perfectly with your idea of real life, and there is really no reason for you to be pooping on the entire game and its developers.
    Geez, I'm an Atheist, too, but I'm perfectly fine with the idea of a god in games. It doesn't bother me at all. I wonder why it bothers you.

7. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Because it is an unnecessary and superflous addition to a game centered around scientific advancements and technology.

Gods in the Marvel Universe are like superheroes in the same universe and can be killed, God of War's entire premise is rooted in Greek Mythology, and I actually love Sheogorath so I'm not sure what you mean.

It only bothers me in specific games.

8. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

Tentacles.

Why does it always have to be tentacles?

Adampr likes this.
  9. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Except there is a race that has main lore with a god...
    It is not all about science. It's exploration... And if exploration leads to the discovery of god or a god race, why not?

It's just your opinion. I like it the diversity.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    DaedricShadow likes this.
  10. Mackinz

...and Kluex was a lawyer who was deified, in legend, after he died. Yeah, totally the same as the supposed existence of a race of god beings that created the universe. :sarcasm:

Because it is a terrible, unimaginative idea that could have been handled far better if it is true.

Blah blah blah opinion. How does a singular deity race lead to diversity? I have absolutely no idea.

11. DaedricShadow

You should probably consider that the god race that you seem so sure is appearing in the game hasn't actually been confirmed. The tentacle monsters may actually just be super-dangerous creatures who like eating planets (such as Earth). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't actually heard any of the developers saying that they're gods.

12. Mackinz

I know that, which is why I have used words like "speculation" and "supposed" and not words like "confirmed".

...which tells me you haven't actually been reading my comments, because you were too anxious to reply to them and belittle me... >.>

13. SoopaDerpcat

A bit more on topic, while I haven't really progressed much in the story, I have a few theories based on this.
    They've probably already been done before, or it might actually be confirmed later in the game, but:

"The Monster" is, apparently, dead. I'm just assuming that the thing in the background is probably the real thing
    and not just a statue, since it's incredibly detailed and the tentacles seem to be sort of pinkish, and the eyeball doesn't
    have a pupil, so I'm guessing it probably died somehow. Also, I really can't imagine something of that size being an
    actual boss in the game, unless it's one of those things where you have to enter its body and blow up the heart or
    brain or whatever...which would itself probably be about the size of a small city considering this thing destroys entire
    planets with its bare...arms?

However, it's not extinct. The Erchius Horror is probably a younger form of the monster, considering they're both pinkish
    cycloptic monsters partially encased in a mineral shell. It presumably either produces the erchius crystals naturally, or
    lives in and feeds on them until it grows to the size of the moon it's inside, at which point the eye and tentacles burst out
    leaving a stone shell around it.

14. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

something I noticed, in the last picture it shows the apex, along with everyone else, holding something in the air
    but for a majority of their existence, the apex looked insanely similar to humans, until about 100 years ago (apex historical records also only go this far) when the physically devolved. so either the thing that created this location knew that would happen... or this is recent (relatively, anyways)

15. DaedricShadow

I was skim-reading and therefore I would naturally forget the specific words you said. No, I was not too anxious to reply. No, I wasn't desperate to belittle you. I'm not a mindless teenage fangirl looking for someone to blame. I was just surprised as to why you thought a god was such a stupid idea.

16. DarthTrethon

I think you took his comment out of context.....I don't think he meant it as much as a religious comment but to say that it'd be much better if the 8th race was an actual race you could see and interact with and maybe even play as rather than the same old beat up story of long gone creator civilizations.

krylo and Mackinz like this.
  17. Mills

Mills Phantasmal Quasar

If I remember correctly Apex history records only go to a 100 years ago due to the rest of it being burned/destroyed. Big Ape may be only giving the Apex the history he wants to give them.

18. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

I believe thats the reason they only go so far

also, theres something strange about greenfinger, hes to smart to be floran. hes even smarter than apex scientists. then theres thornwing and big ape and they all have something in common, but dont want anyone to know what. could it be that one member of each species was given a, what ever the thing they are holding in the picture is, to safeguard?

Nibolas O Anelbozas likes this.
  19. SoopaDerpcat

20. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Florans are not inheirently stupid. Just inheirently uneducated. As we saw with the writer dude, they can be educated. Greenfinger's been alive for hundreds of years; I think he's had time to learn.
    Besides, his statue is of a floran.

TrueEdge likes this.