1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Huge Spoiler] The Ark.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Garatgh Deloi, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

So, in the latest nightly they added a new area that the ancient gates take you too. The mysterious ark.

It includes the gate we were shown in a teaser pic before.

Heres some pictures:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Looks like some sort of prophecy or something dosent it?

First image seems to be a being in control of the universe (be it a race or a god like singular being).

The second one i assume is a tentacle monster eating worlds.

The third image is the gate.

The forth... i dont know... it includes a tentacle monster, and a humanoid, could be a humanoid pushing it into a black hole or trying to prevent it from leaving a portal, could be the tentacle monsters body.

The fifth seems to show 6 races perhaps. (Hylotl, Avian and Glitch are easy to see). Holding something above them (could be a planet with a ring, could be something else. Could be 6 keys for the 6 holes in the gate).

Edit: Anyone else noticed that they removed the last face from the gate? :p

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Now this is more like it!

3. L. F. Oxidizer

L. F. Oxidizer Pangalactic Porcupine

And of course, poor Novakid gets left out.

4. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

This may be the way to the "black hole" higher tiered universe. I like it. Godspeed chucklefish!

5. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

OR this could be the birth story of the Novakid! See! At the end each of the other six races are holding up a little novababy!

6. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

It tells the story of that thing, the void was the birthplace of the world eater, then the six races used some ancient artefact to lock the monster in it's domain, but here we are, to open kill him and get the hell out of his loot!

Faeryheart likes this.
  7. Rudette

Rudette Void-Bound Voyager

The eyeball-face being removed (like it is on the gate to the outpost) is curious.
    Maybe it's a clue that there will be another playable race.

Maybe that race will even be some sort of unlockable content that you can start a new game with after you've repaired the Ark and/or some other structure in-game.
    Could be that it's just missing because it's not something they want to reveal just yet.

It's also possible that it's related to the lore, and it represents the world-eater-tentacle-thingies themselves and has just been wiped out, erased, or defaced for other reasons.

I'm hoping for something relatively Lovecraftian. A Lesser-of-two-evils ally of circumstance for the other races.

8. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

I see:
    1. Omnipotent Genesis creates the universe
    2. Tentacle beast mirrors the OG as the harbinger of destruction
    3. Rocks
    4. The OG sacrifices himself to shove the Tentacle beast into a black hole
    5. 6 races are born in the aftermath as the new OG overwatchers of their own worlds.

9. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

"The Ark"? I'd prefer it was something more... original... than the ark. :facepalm:
    ...Also, it's not really a prophecy if it's already happened.

I'd like to point out: that's not a black hole. A black hole is simply a singularity, and is perfectly spherical.
    That is a portal, maybe a wormhole/Einstein-Rosenberg bridge, implying they had to banish the monster. This means they were likely unable to destroy it.
    Further, if the God Race died... who made the gate, the tentacle decor, and the holograms? It is likely that the god race, while likely dead, probably didn't die fighting the tentacle monster.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  10. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

I think the Ark is adequate of a title for the area. Why fix what isn't broken

11. ScrubNiggurath

ScrubNiggurath Scruffy Nerf-Herder

God confirmed for Original Gangsta.

Yzzey, EpsilonRho and TrueEdge like this.
  12. Fina

Fina Title Not Found

Check out the stone, there are 6 holes in between the sun rays, they 6 races are holding perhaps the 6 stones that fit the 6 holes.
    Maybe you need to retrieve them from each race and place them into the 'Ark stone gate thingie'
    Perhaps its then opens a time gate and you can go back and stop the tentacle monster :D

maybe.. just a thought

( The Novas might have not been entrusted to a stone as there are only 6 )

tacoswithfriends likes this.
  13. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

would you trust a novakid to guard something? he'll toss it in his basement and let it there xD

14. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

Time to be hyped again! Are we finally getting progress on something that isn't vanity item appearance changing? Because this looks like something worth mentioning!

Oh wait, gotta have the one remark. "WHAT ABOUT BLAH BLAH?"

15. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I honestly would prefer the devs to avoid something so cliche and stupid as "sine extremely powerful being created the universe and all living things", so I'm not exactly impressed by this supposed "god race".

That is, of course, assuming that the hypothetical mythos behind the "god race" is actually true and not some kind of "they are actually just beings we believe existed" kind of stuff.

16. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

How is it stupid? It's freakin fantasy. >_> And besides we barely know anything about them cept for these glowing murals

17. Mackinz

Fantasy? It's sci-fi. Science fiction. And I'd rather there be less religious iconography and more technological discoveries if this "god race" is actually a thing and not something made-up by some church in-game.

18. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Because the Avian's don't have religious iconography now don't they. Oh wait they do. You are jumping to conclusions with nowhere near enough information. Also giant tentacle monsters that rip through planets isn't really sci fi either. This game was never designed as a hard core sci fi and expecting it to be will only lead to disappointment

Guthrie28 likes this.
  19. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Religious beliefs have been a major part of the game since the start. Many of the races have been "uplifted" somehow by a mysterios elder race (not necessary the same one, but it might be the same one).

While religion in a science fiction universe may not be to your personal likeing, i doubt they would change it now, considering how much of the game universe incorporates it. (Aloot of science fiction have religious elements of some sort, not necessarly connected in anyway to a real religion).

Other then that, we dont know much about this "god race", it having created the universe and life itself is pure speculation.

20. Mackinz

Religious beliefs existing in the lore and those religious beliefs being true instead of the result of the telephone effect are two different things, and I really do not like the speculation surrounding this "god race". In fact, I am not perturbed by religion in the games so much as how it seems to be used in these specific instances.