Notice HOWTO: Keybinding

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by OmnipotentEntity, Feb 18, 2014.

1. penguin055

penguin055 Pangalactic Porcupine

Yay! Now I can use Minecraft(ish) controls!

2. Epic Reversal

Epic Reversal Aquatic Astronaut

:rainbow: ZOMG.... YER A GOD!!!!! :3

3. Dark0flare

Dark0flare Subatomic Cosmonaut

This stuff is confusing....but i saw that there were more emotions,and i want to add them in.......But CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW!!!!!!!Could someone give me an edited.cfg with the emotions set to keys that are close together,like the numpad?I really want them for Roleplaying....

4. Pyrobolser

Pyrobolser Orbital Explorer

Here you are, I linked in that post my keybindings it may help you to figure this out.

By the way, if you want an easier way to bind your keys, you may wanna try the Starbound Keybinder

I hope this will be useful !

Attached Files:

5. Kleep

Kleep Space Hobo

Hi all!
    I have a few questions I'm hoping somebody will be able to answer for me...

What do the following actions actually DO?
    PlayerShifting,
    PlayerTechAction(s),
    CockpitUp/Down/Left/Right,
    InterfaceSwapHands,
    InterfaceBarNPos

I tried messing around with them a bit and I can't seem to distinguish between them:confused:

Also, I am curious if it is possible to swap the direction you're looking with just a button, and toggle the 'InterfaceInspectCursor' action on/off. With the inspect cursor one (I am not sure if this is the case for others) when I press it once, the only way to get out of it is to select something. Pressing the button again won't deselect it. And it's been a while since the big discussions, so I have to ask, has the warp action or the multi-button press keys been implemented yet? Not a big deal but would be nice in case I missed it somewhere.

Thanks in advance; I'm trying to set up a ps3 controller configuration and I was curious.

6. Doctor Stein

Doctor Stein Subatomic Cosmonaut

It would be nice if we got a Key Bindings tab in Settings in the full version of the game...

7. ELLIOTTCABLE

ELLIOTTCABLE Void-Bound Voyager

Okay, so, it sounds like mouse-bindings are incomplete; but I have to throw my 2¢ in here:

Please don't just allow us to bind keys to more mouse buttons; allow us the *opposite*, to bind the left and right tool to keys. I *hate* playing with mice (I often like to play in bed on my laptop; and trackpad-clicking is the *least* gaming-compatible thing ever conceived by mankind. (I always play games like this, or minecraft, with WSAD for movement, and Q/E as the “action” keys, in place of mouse-buttons.

jude24to25 likes this.
  8. Bob_boberson

Bob_boberson Space Penguin Leader

just tried it out and it didn't work....Any help?

Only things I changed were I,F, and Q

made drop items B

I to E

and interact to F

and whatever F normally is to D

But its all default still when I start it all up! D;

9. Acerius

Acerius Poptop Tamer

I hope that sometime in the future there will be a proper full and extensive menu that'll allow us to bind all sorts of keys, as well as any extra/custom keys some may have. Good work so far, though; I'll try rebinding my keys since I have a tendency to use everything on the right side of the keyboard - I'm left handed and I use the mouse with my left hand so, heh...

Stroodle and Doctor Stein like this.
  10. Ninjawa

Ninjawa Void-Bound Voyager

Is there any way to edit the possible keys?
    I have a Norwegian keyboard, and I want to use å ø æ ' instead of w a s d.
    I know that å is 221, ø is 192, æ is 222 and ' is 191.

11. Stroodle

Stroodle Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks, been needing this for a while.

12. Parlonsbien

Parlonsbien Orbital Explorer

Up to that my friends ! Anything new ?

13. DrewbieCanubie

DrewbieCanubie Master Chief

This thread has made me one very VERY happy left handed player. I love the game and now I can actually enjoy it on my laptop without bumping the mouse pad constantly!! THANKS!!!!

Stroodle likes this.
  14. FriggenMods

FriggenMods Space Spelunker

Hey I am having trouble getting arrow keys for the movement key bindings can anyone help or put up a key binding for them?
    If you can please do!
    Thanks

15. clasgutr

clasgutr Void-Bound Voyager

So it seems this was put in place in February and nothing has changed since then? When is a GUI going to be put in the game for this? Changing keybinds is incredibly cumbersome, especially considering how awful you have the config file formatted. It's like you didn't use carriage return at all. I last played the game back in January and due to the awful keybinds, had to stop. When will we see this fixed?

16. Starbug

Starbug Guest

This is it for now. If anyone can't get it to work, look at the log file. It tells you what you got wrong.

17. KreupingKougher

KreupingKougher Orbital Explorer

Will you ever add apostrophe?

18. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Will a gui be added in the next update? Or by 1.0?

Sadly there was no indication of this on the recent "roadmap blog".

19. CarmineHinkofer

CarmineHinkofer Void-Bound Voyager

Hello, I have a problem and i would like help. I currently play on a roleplay server. I've been using a keybinder, But i keep changing "ChatSendLine" to something because enter wouldn't work. And no matter what i set it to it doesn't work! I can't play on the server until i can get this fixed. When i click it, it does nothing. Any help would be nice! -Carmine

20. Kalli3007

Kalli3007 Orbital Explorer

Cool thing :D.