Notice HOWTO: Keybinding

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by OmnipotentEntity, Feb 18, 2014.

1. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

No, our JSON parser understands both types.

2. C0mbatW0mble

C0mbatW0mble Tentacle Wrangler

Ok, no matter what I try the key bindings will not take hold for me. Ive edited in Wordpad and Notepad++ and even though the edits save upon launch they all reset to default.

3. Xech

Xech Void-Bound Voyager

THANK YOU FOR LISTENING TO YOUR COMMUNITY! I can now play my pre-order and test your early access masterpiece! :rainbow:

4. atnees

atnees Space Hobo

Hey! So i followed the instructions to key bind but I can't seem to get it to work. I open the file and change the keys to what I want for the desired action. Save it and close it. Then I start the game and nothing has changed. When I go back into the file folder it has another config file that now says fail on it.
    I only have one hand so I cannot effectively play the game until I can set it to the keys to what I need. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

5. Nemo157

Nemo157 Void-Bound Voyager

That probably means the syntax in your changed file was invalid. Easy solution is to paste the contents into http://jsonlint.com/ to check it is valid JSON.

Mindscape Nexus and Tamorr like this.
  6. C0mbatW0mble

Ok, I checked my edited file on the linked json site and it came back valid, yet when the game loaded the file reset. all options returned to default (keys, zoom and sound levels)

Any other ideas appreciated

7. itse0815

itse0815 Space Hobo

I changed my keys yesterday and got the same thing with the new config file and the old one with .fail-fileextensionthing.
    I made a mistake by defining a key for a action, which was already defined by default for another action (did saw the line in the config). I think i saw a entry in the starbound.log (or what the log-file is named). which says 'double defined' or so.

8. C0mbatW0mble

Bingo, duplicate commands nailed it. Took more care then I usually am capable of to proof read, to get rid of them but it does now work.

Will I get lynched if I say I miss wasd now :D

9. gr8tn3ss

gr8tn3ss What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

I'm assuming there's no way to bind Zoom level, but that would be nice. I like to zoom in on my ship, and zoom out on the planet.

10. fire.frog

fire.frog Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is there any possibility to swap the directions of the mousewheel scrolling through hotkeys? For me, "up" being "right" is more plausible than the other way round...

11. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

at the moment no. mouse controls have not bee put in yet, and I am sure they will work them in eventually so we can change if wanted. For now it is primarily the keyboard stuff, well standard one anyway...

12. fire.frog

fire.frog Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Okay, I thought so. Reckon until they put it in I'll have got accustomed to the "wrong way" of the mouse wheel :p but yeah, keyboard controls are more important, that is true.

13. JNFischer30

JNFischer30 Big Damn Hero

It's nice that you have this, but is a bit of a pain.

Could you not make this an easily accessible option in the OPTIONS menu. I know that this game is still in beta, but I still paid for it and this is a REALLY BASIC gameplay issue. This game should have simple keybinding.

Not having simpe keybind is a a rookie mistake and you people already made Terraria.

There is no excuse for this.

14. 90908

90908 Intergalactic Tourist

How would you turn a mouse bind into key bind?
    IE how would I rebind "select background" to something like f?

15. Lamia

Lamia Space Hobo

Key rebinding doesn't take effect when loading the game, and just resets the config file every time. I've edited the config file as plain as you've shown, but nothing works.

16. C0mbatW0mble

@90908 I don't follow the question. do you mean how do you rebind the right click function? (ie the action that make things interact with the background?)

And @Lamia double check to make sure there are no duplicate commands then copy all the text in the config and drop it here http://jsonlint.com/ to make sure its still formatted correctly.
    It will eventually work.

@CF nice of you to tease us with the edit key screen shot then dump a editable config file on us, shame on you CF

Edit http://i.imgur.com/LgT7Yfv.png dated 11th December

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  17. Lamia

Lamia Space Hobo

There are no duplicate commands, and the JSON syntax checker returns no errors.

Also, what's with the FAIL files being generated? (those, also, by the way, are valid JSON)

18. satoru

satoru Tentacle Wrangler

You can format the JSON correctly, but if you're sending the parser bad data it will barf. GIGO

19. C0mbatW0mble

@Lamia

Take the fresh config file, edit it, do your checks and save it. then post it into this thread and let us look at it. fresh eyes and all that.

20. Pontiac

Pontiac Subatomic Cosmonaut

Can't wait for the UI update, but this will certainly do. I'll have to check this out when I get the time.

Yes, there *IS* an excuse for this. "Beta" means that this game isn't complete. Its no where NEAR complete from what I can tell from the news posts I've seen about the path this game is going on from both a development stand point, as well as the play style is concerned. This particular functionality of being able to customize key binds was JUST implemented. What we were given was THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE to the first iteration of what we'll be able to change.

Prior to this update, all key binds were hard coded into the game. What this post is about states that now key binds are SOFT coded, with a default set of definitions. Heck of an upgrade if you ask me.

As for Terraria, if I remember the news correctly, and I may be way off, Terraria was conceptualized by two individuals, started to be coded by two individuals, which eventually increased in crew size, and eventually worked its way out to a "release type" state. One of the original two original left and started working on Starbound. From there, the crew again grew.

If you read the original post (And as a forum poster, you should be commended on your rookie mistake of not READING the OP completely), the UI adaptation for in-game modification of the key binding IS still WIP. Since the notification that this config file set of options even EXISTS, chances are that some kind of UI has been developed, but it isn't ready for release.

You really need to understand the concept of pre-release, alpha, and beta software. As I told my kids about KSP, the game is broken. You'll need to deal with what it does as this point and wait for fixes to come later.