Tutorial How to successfully pack and unpack .pak files

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SexualRhinoceros, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Hooligan

Hooligan Space Spelunker

since i cannot upload .bat file I have turned them into a text file
    to turn them into .bat follow steps below

1. open .txt file
    2. click file, then save as
    3. select file type "all files"
    4. add ".bat" at the end of file name (should look like "name.bat")
    * note that drinkMe.txt packs and eatMe.txt unpacks
    ** this is only for window7

Attached Files:

Lynx88 and graynox like this.
  2. Mechageno

Mechageno Starship Captain

Hmm, i guess I didn't take what he said the way you did lol. But you are right, people need to understand that not everyone is tech savvy which i understand, which is why I'm willing to help people at least unpack the .pak once :p. I see nothing wrong with using a GUi personally. No one is perfect, we must remember this. If you have knowledge to spare then teach others if you want them to understand the way you do because not everyone will understand as they have not learned the same way some of us have.

3. Electroflux

Electroflux Industrial Terraformer

I'm not modding.

Also the instructions posted don't solve this issue.

4. Mechageno

I think some people are having issues because they don't change their directory location.

It's honestly just a misunderstanding I'm sure. I bet some people don't realize they can't just copy/paste the code from the first page. The file directory needs to point where your game is specifically or it won't work. So if you don't have starbound installed in the default location, you'll have to change the file path when using the command prompt.

5. Electroflux

I have set the .bat file to:

start asset_unpacker.exe
    pause

No work.

6. That's not even CLOSE to the code he posted mate. And point proven, you don't follow instructions.

7. Mechageno

can you give me the file path to your asset_unpacker.exe, and your packed.pak files? I'll make a bat file for you.
    '
    Don't worry about it dude, I'll give him an example lol.

8. Electroflux

You're one irritating dude.

I've read the instructions. There's NOTHING even referencing .bat files.

intervencion likes this.
  9. Mechageno

He's referring to the instructions on the main post. Bat files just run command prompt commands that's all. It's like a way of saving the command setup so you don't have to type it in every time.
    Just let me help ok?

10. Run that by me again? Nothing about .bats?

Obviously you cant just start the program. The computer doesn't just magically know where to go to find that .exe file. You have to tell it where to go. Simply saying "start asset_unpacker.exe" will look for that where ever you currently are. You need to change the directory to the path of your starbound folder

Sidewinder likes this.
  11. Mechageno

v_v LOOK, this isn't going anywhere, can we just help him without making him sound stupid?

12. I'd be happy to, but he doesn't listen. You go ahead and try. He finds me irritating, so he likely wont listen to me anyway.

13. Mechageno

Alright, I'll try lol. He just won't answer me so I don't know how i can.

14. Patchumz

Patchumz Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm in a good mood today, so for any functionally retarded and/or lazy OS X users, –>here's a shell script<–. You can simply double click it to your heart's content and everything will run for you.

Windows users will have to read (oh no!) instructions instead :c.

15. Huckebein

Huckebein Orbital Explorer

Because following those specific, step-by-step instructions exactly causes some people to have an issue where the cmd window flashes briefly, goes away, and nothing happens. None of these people have been responded to.

Since you're clearly confident enough to act like a total asshole to people, why don't you field this problem and explain how to fix it?

16. It has been numerous times. If it flashes, you didnt do something right. (Likely trying to run the thing directly instead of through Command Prompt like the instructions SPECIFICALY SAYS!) Either you misspelled something, didnt change the directory to your starbound folder, or you didnt put the path in quotes when you have a folder that has a space in it. The instructions on the first post WORK.

If you changed your path to starbound, you need to update accordingly, as stated when Rhino asks for you to type in the path to starbound.

What else do you want from me? You don't listen, you dont read, someone was helpfull enough to post a batch script that I'm sure none of you tried, and you still complain here like little children when you cant follow the easiest of instructions.

I can't help you if you don't help yourself!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    Sidewinder and Patchumz like this.
  17. @Electroflux Here. Follow exactly what I typed if you did not put your default steam installs to a different driver or path.
    If you did, Change the first command accordingly to match the folder.

I swear to God himself, If I get a reply telling me that this didn't work, I am adding you to the ignore list on my account.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    Sidewinder likes this.
  18. TrippySlippy

TrippySlippy Void-Bound Voyager

see i followed the instructions. and it still didn't work.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\asset_unpacker.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\test"

that is what i put in and it didn't work

19. Kel^

Kel^ Pangalactic Porcupine

Literally the easiest way to do this is as follows:

STEP 1: Open notepad.
    STEP 2: Paste this into notepad: asset_unpacker.exe ..\assets\packed.pak ..\assets\unpacked
    STEP 3: Go to file -> save as -> name the file "unpack.bat", and save it in your starbound/win32 directory.
    STEP 4: Navigate to your starbound/win32 directory in the windows file explorer.
    STEP 5: Double click on unpack.bat.
    STEP 6: Enjoy unpacked assets.

I don't think there's any room for anybody to possibly get anything wrong here. Super simple stuff. :)

20. Patchumz

Patchumz Pangalactic Porcupine

Copy paste this EXACTLY into the cmd prompt. Don't modify anything.

Code:
    cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32"
    asset_unpacker.exe ..\assets\packed.pak ..\assets\UnpackedAssets