Tutorial How to successfully pack and unpack .pak files

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SexualRhinoceros, Jan 26, 2014.

1. SexualRhinoceros

SexualRhinoceros Existential Complex

Yeah I noticed they put a batch file that does all the work for you too so I wasn't too sure if anything else changed too
    I remember I tried making it as idiot proof as possible by having the least amount of combo buttons being pushed. Telling people anything past "open this, copy, paste" will confuse them, trust me. :3
    added

NanoPi likes this.
  2. lavaleopard

lavaleopard Big Damn Hero

I have Linux Ubuntu 14.04 Thrusty Thar and i've done the same at the terminal as u said but it said that he doesn't found the assets_unpacker .
    I've done it with ModPackHelper too but the Permission was denieted. Help
    (sry for my bat english. I'm german.)

3. Relydukno

Relydukno Subatomic Cosmonaut

You can use this BATCH file to do it too just rename the Directory I use with the one you do.
    So change all the instances of
    Code:
    D:\Downloads\Starbound Mods\unpack
    to your directory

Code:
    @ Echo off
    set dir=D:\Downloads\Starbound Mods\unpack

for /f "delims=" %%A in ('dir /b "%dir%\*.pak"') do ("D:\Downloads\Starbound Mods\unpack\asset_unpacker.exe" "%dir%\%%~A" "D:\Downloads\Starbound Mods\unpack\test")
    remove the space after the AT SYMBOL [@] the BBCODE is running inside of the Code form so had to place a space.

This WILL unpack ALL the PAK files in the given Folder to the test folder

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  4. lavaleopard

It don't work. The terminal said that there is a syntax error at the line 4
    it is so anoying ...:lod:
    Help!![DOUBLEPOST=1422207009][/DOUBLEPOST]For all 'german' people out there

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  5. Olxinos

Olxinos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That syntax looks more like windows batch files. No wonder why you get a syntax error.

Before that, I assume you tried this? (the post referenced in the first page)
    (btw, i don't know why the X of linux is in uppercase here, it should be lowercase)
    If the first cd command works, i don't see why the second wouldn't work if you use the correct type case (linux is probably case sensitive). If it doesn't i'd like to see your error, the result of a "ls" command, a "ls linux32" command and/or a "ls linux64" command.

6. lavaleopard

I tried it too and it didn't found the file (?) .I tried it with root permission and without it

hereis the photos of the terminal:

Attached Files:

7. Olxinos

It's the first cd command which fails (well the second too, but that's only natural if the first one fails). The path to your starbound directory is wrong, replace "/home/USER/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound" by the actual path of your starbound directory (you should be able to locate it with a right-click on starbound -> local files -> browse local files in your steam library). Otherwise, I'll try to install it on a linux VM tomorrow (but not now, stuff to do)[/USER]

8. lavaleopard

Yes I know, but I have it non-steam and I put it in the folder there and i dont know what I must do now.

9. Olxinos

Then just enter the path to that folder.

10. lavaleopard

Yes i done it already and try it.
    There is the same error

11. Olxinos

Either you entered the bad path, or the files aren't present in your installation. I suggest you look into your starbound folder, try to locate the packer/unpacker use a cd command to set their directory as the working direction then: ./asset_unpacker [the_packed_file] [the_unpacked_folder_name]
    If you don't have a normal installation I can't help you much more than that (unless you want me to connect to your computer via ssh x) )

12. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

Alright....... This might be the right place to ask this.
    What happened to the .bat files in the win32 folder after last night's unstable update? Were they moved? Did the Devs delete them? If so, why?
    I assume this didn't just happen to me, did it?

Edit: And I know it's not a big deal... They were just convenient to have.

13. procat

procat Void-Bound Voyager

This batch file works just fine for unpacking your assets and all you have to do is put it in your win32 in your starbound folder
    unpack.png [DOUBLEPOST=1422396780][/DOUBLEPOST]
    You can use those assets to mod or create your own custom in game items

14. Sketch2347

Sketch2347 Phantasmal Quasar

Can someone upload a unpack.bat and pack.bat for upbeat girrafe, im not sure its the same i did this freaking days ago fine and now its not working, really hoping someone out there will help me before i pull my hair out.
    I can get them unpacked fine but every time i go to pack them, the cmd screen pops up really quick and disappears , if i go to the wiki, i copy this text with echo in the lines and then the cmd just says its done after 2 seconds this isnt right, and nothing works. PLEASE HELP!

AS i dig it seems other people are having this issue, im guessing something changed with the update so i dont have to feel so crazy knowing i just did this the other day.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  15. esteysa

esteysa Subatomic Cosmonaut

i can unpack but can't pack it

this works fine
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\asset_unpacker.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\test"

but this isn't
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\asset_packer.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\test" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\test\packed.pak"

this is what it shown
    Usage: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\asset_packe
    r.exe [-i ignoreFile] [-s] [-d] <assets source name> <assets folder path> <outpu
    t filename>
    ignoreFile expects a json map with a key containing a string list named: "global
    Ignore"
    If server mode is enabled with -s then ignoreFile must also contain a string lis
    t named "serverIgnore"
    If -d is given, pak will be generated with a digest that must match from server
    to clientExample: { "globalIgnore" : [ "/ignore_file.config", "some.*regenx[here]
    " ], "serverIgnore" : ["/sfx/irrelevantMusic.ogg"] }
    Exact paths are assumed to start with a /, all other strings are treatd as regen
    x.

16. kik4444

kik4444 Existential Complex

I have the same problem. I created my own unpacker & packer BATCH files a while ago, but for some reason packer.bat no longer works after updating to upbeat giraffe. My old unpacker still works, however, after I try using the packer, I get this: Packer error.png

17. Olxinos

I find the new arguments somewhat odd, but maybe... try this:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\asset_packer.exe" test "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\test\packed.pak"
    I'm not currently on windows so i didn't test it though, i'll reboot install the game and test it if i have the time.

Edit: btw, same issue here

Edit: ok this seems to work better:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\asset_packer.exe" [your_mod_name?] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\test" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\test\packed.pak"
    For me, it successfully packs the folder (and i can unpack it afterwards) i don't know whether [your_mod_name?] is important though, it seems to work with "foobar" whatever the mod's name is (in fact, i'm not even sure it should be the mod name, but well...)

18. esteysa

esteysa Subatomic Cosmonaut

ty it's work well but does it have to be "[your_mod_name?]" ?

19. SexualRhinoceros

SexualRhinoceros Existential Complex

it can be anything you want but I never repack my mods so its up to you!

20. Olxinos

Of course not, i usually surround placeholders with brackets.
    And as I said here:
    So if you don't know what to write, write foobar or 42 :) (unless it's actually useful, but I don't know its purpose yet)