1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Tutorial How to setup a Starbound Server for Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by PNDAgent117, Dec 16, 2013.

1. PNDAgent117

PNDAgent117 Void-Bound Voyager

In my experience of setting up and running servers, I had a hard time trying to set up a Starbound Server. However, I figured it out and I will tell how I managed to make my server up and running. With a few edits and warnings.

WARNING: Only do this if you know what you are doing.
    1. Go to your web browser and type icanhazip.com to find your WAN IP. (1-3 are suggested by syntax42)
    2. Then right click start and select the command prompt (admin) and type ipconfig.
    3. Find the default gateway, thats your router IP. Type the router IP in a new tab on the web browser.
    4. Login to your router settings, if you're not an network admin, ask an admin to do so.
    5. EXPERT: You must Assign an IP to your computer by changing a few settings on your computer, it's hard to explain but watch the video for more info. (suggested by syntax42)
    6. Go back to your router settings and select your port forwarding options.
    7. Enter port 21025 and you local fixed IP to your router settings and click save. Wait for a few seconds.
    8. Port Forwarding can be hard, so I can make a video. Anyways, go to your file explorer.
    9. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound
    10. Double click Starbound.config using notepad. (Notepad+ is a improvement of notepad, try to use that instead of notepad)
    11. Now find bind replace * with your local IP Address only if the * fails to bind into an network. EXPERT USERS ONLY. (edit requested by Syntax42)
    12. Then look for upnpPortForwarding, Change true to false.
    13. After that, find the server passwords, and change "", "*******", "*******" to much better passwords and save. Only if you are giving out the IP to people that to do not fully trust (Edit request by Syntax42)
    14. Finally, Save everything and close all windows and launch Starbound, then click on Starbound Server.
    There, you hopefully have a Starbound server up and running.

Video

NOTE: If your ISP uses a dynamic IP for you, make sure you update the server IP normally.

EDIT: Post edited with suggestions from Syntax42.
    EDIT2: Movie made and Uploaded. May contain errors.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. Syntax42

Syntax42 Pangalactic Porcupine

Numbers 1 and 2 don't make sense due to a lack of technical accuracy. There are some other things wrong as well as some missing steps. Reader beware: setting up and running a server is a highly-technical process and can get very frustrating without a good background in networking and computer sciences.

1. You need your WAN IP, which is visible to the public internet. Several sites offer a free and quick service to discover your WAN IP. My favorite is icanhazip.com. This is the IP address you give your friends and is not used anywhere else in the setup process.
    2. You need your router's IP adddress. The easiest way to obtain this is to open a command prompt and type in ipconfig. The default gateway should be your router unless you are on a corporate or school network, in which case you should abort attempting to host because you don't have the administrative ability to forward the ports.
    3. Doesn't make sense because you don't know the router's IP yet in your instructions.
    4-6. Can be skipped by using ipconfig in a command prompt.
    12. Not needed at all. Don't do it. It is actually bad unless you have very rare circumstances in which this would be needed. Specifying a bind address tells the program to only listen for traffic destined for a certain IP address. If your computer's local IP address changes, the server program won't be able to listen to anything because it won't find that interface. Leaving it alone tells it to listen on all IP addresses.
    14. Only needed if setting up a public server or giving out your IP to people you don't fully trust to keep it secret.

You also failed to set a static IP on the server in your instructions. Your IP address could change on a router or computer reboot, resulting in the port forwarding settings being incorrect.

PNDAgent117 and nectarprime like this.
  3. PNDAgent117

Thanks, I'll make Adjustments to steps 1 and 2 and a few more, I have an ISP that changes the IP.

I see, My LAN settings needs to be adjusted.

4. Syntax42

For ISPs which change your WAN IP, you have a couple options. You could check your WAN IP when players report the server being down, or you could set up a dynamic DNS service.

5. PNDAgent117

Currently editing my main post, thanks for the info. I am adding your suggestions, labeled (suggested by user) and updating, I will finish my edit soon.

EDIT: And I lost my edit, retyping the edit again.
    EDIT2: Edit complete.

6. Syntax42

You can set a static IP on any computer using Windows' settings and it won't affect the rest of the network. It is a good idea to keep it out of the DHCP range, but as long as the computer is on, the DHCP server (usually the router on home networks) will prevent IP conflicts.

I don't think you understand the difference between a dynamic IP from the ISP and a DHCP-assigned IP on your LAN side, so I will explain. Your modem has an IP address assigned from your ISP which can change if you are not paying extra for a static IP. If this happens, users will need to enter the new IP (retrieved from icanhazip.com) in order to connect again. Luckily, most ISPs don't change your IP very often. You might get a new IP a couple times per year when they update firmware.

On your LAN side, DCHP is a service running on your router which manages your private IP addresses which are not visible to the public internet. If you do not set a static IP for your server, you may find that it changes IP addresses every time you reboot the computer or router. Instead of changing your firewall settings every day, set a static IP on the computer and move your DCHP range so you have room for a few static IPs on the network.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    nectarprime likes this.
  7. PNDAgent117

UPDATE: Posted a video for the Starbound Server setup.