1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How I currently see the game progressing.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DivineMalevolence, Jan 28, 2015.

1. DivineMalevolence

DivineMalevolence Big Damn Hero

I think-

Think, mind you, don't know-

That somewhere along the line something was said about the game being intended to be beatable without any combat. Implying a possibility for different methods of advancement'n stuff. And I began to wonder, hey.
    How'd that work.
    My current, malleable conclusion is thus.

I currently think that 'tis most likely there'll be a few possible ways to advance planet tiers.
    First, as is, a quest route. You go talk to people, they ask you to do specific things, you go out and do them with yer fancy armors and basically embark on a high combat route.
    I'll call that the quest route. Would be the short, rocky road that allows quick advancement.

Second's more vague, but m'thinks it'd be best if there was something of an explorer's route.
    Wherein you go around and observe planets to do research. Do things like raid dungeons and get their treasure. Dig to the center of planets to get core samples. Make peace with planet based civilizations.
    Or perhaps go around with something like the brain extractor to draw out DNA from a number of creatures.
    Wherein every action advances your research a little more until you fully understand a planet.
    And then you find and study a different planet.
    And mayhaps a third. Emphasizing sightseeing and exploration over murderizing things. Like, any time you run across an underground biome it advances you a ton so's to encourage all sortsa exploring, whilst still allowing you to progress in more mundane ways in case you're not so lucky.
    So's yeah. I'll call it the exploration route. See more to advance, yo.

An' third I'd call....
    Hm......

Builder's route.
    You make a base.
    To advance in the universe, you've got to advance your base's rep. And you can do this in many ways.
    Presumably. I dunno really I'm just imagining things at this point. Mostly just that one of the major ways to advance in this function would be basically building a resort.
    Make rooms. Fine rooms with good decoration. Bonus points if you put them somewhere interesting, like under a sea of lava with a good view.
    Create entertainment. Like a skyrail system that rings the planet, or a water slide, or.... Well, what have you.
    Maybe offer defense. Attract the attention of people who're not particularly liked throughout the universe and unveil how well you've set up your turret system.
    Visit exotic alien worlds, pilfer its various forms of sustenance, and create high level cuisine to delight and inspire the universe.
    Or sit back, create a factory, and become a life form to deal with through the power of trade and commerce.

Or whatevs.
    Not entirely certain how that could end out.
    But it's the third path I currently think could be a viable option for game progression, all whilst allowing you to simply highly value your base.
    Its advancement would be based on you as an individual needing to go to different planets to get certain supplies, or you'd need to move base.
    Like, certain types of plants only grow in specific biomes, which'd make progressing valuable. You'd be able to build on different, interesting planets, like having a room beneath the surface of a lava planet.
    Getting higher level ores would allow you to make better factory parts and more interesting skyrail tracks. And whatever else is whatever else'n stuff.

Anywho.
    That's how I currently see the game progressing.
    This is a powerful conclusion "paragraph".

2. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

I'm not against new threads or anything, it's always good to have new chances for discussions, but what's the purpose of this? Chucklefish said already the 3 different ways to progress, and I thought it was pretty clear how they would work.