How far deep is copper ore in the nightly?!

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Pheloniousmonk, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Pheloniousmonk

Pheloniousmonk Starship Captain

Having trouble finding copper ore. Am I missing something; I thought I would take the simple steps to find copper. Being it the first tier of ore I figured it would not hard to find at a relative level close to the surface. Im strip mining and finding nothing....... how far down do I need to go?

2. ejh1990

ejh1990 Phantasmal Quasar

How deep ores seem to be governed by two factors. Firstly, biomes/oredistributions.configfunctions governs how rare each ore is on a given planet threat level and depth, and secondly terrestrial_worlds.config contains the JSON to specify at which block level certain depth types generate on any given planet size.

However ore generation seems borked on the nightlies. Terrain generation is a known issue to the devs. And ore generation seems to be part of this as well. Even if you dig to the "correct depth" ores are still sparse, like this screenshot I took using 0.2x zoom and fullbright shows:

[​IMG]

I have a hard time believing that the devs would deliberately crank down ore generation that much.

And finally, golden rule of nightly:

Serenity likes this.
  3. Pheloniousmonk

I feel like I bought myself a toy for christmas as a child; then I'm going to grow up before by the time its ready.

4. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Like beauty it is skin deep.

5. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

its a few hundred blocks down but not too far

Serenity likes this.
  6. Sremaj

Sremaj Phantasmal Quasar

/admin
    /spawnitem copperbar 1000

After trying to play the nightly for the first time the other night like I play "stable" SB I realized that it is more enjoyable (for me, at least) to give myself the needs to progress quickly so I could get to see new content. It wasn't long after I made a character that I realized that ore is really hard to find and that a stone pickaxe (/spawnitem platinumdrill - seriously) is not your friend when you have to go near the core to get these core fragments to fix your ship. I couldn't even find those easily so I ended up bypassing that (/spawnitem corefragmentore - you're welcome) so I could fix the ship and planet hop.

7. ejh1990

ejh1990 Phantasmal Quasar

That's more the point of nightly. @Sremaj is doin' it right. :p

Although on the subject of ships, for upgrading it's better to just use:

/spawnitem shipT{X}

... replace {X} with the ship tier you want. Ship starts expanding from T4 onwards. T8 is the maximum. :)

Sremaj likes this.
  8. Sremaj

Sremaj Phantasmal Quasar

You just described my second life-altering discovery in the nightlies. After discovering that command I quickly made a character of each race to see every tier of every ship, because who doesn't love bigger ships? I gotta say I was REALLY happy and impressed with all of them. I think my favorites are probably the Glitch and the Hylotl ship styles (honorable mention to the Florans, pieced together from different races - that's just cool). I hypothesize that the higher tier Novakid ships will be added "railcars" to make a really long, modular-style ship.

9. Pheloniousmonk

10. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

you dont need to bump the thread, the questain was already answered

Sremaj and Owl_Stalker like this.
  11. Pheloniousmonk

I'm hoping for an update or other info. Its nightly builds so things change... nightly.

12. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

Well, if anything else had to change in ore generation, devs would tell us in the update.