How Does Starbound Compare? What Terraria Fans Should Know

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by LadyAijou, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laddus

laddus Aquatic Astronaut

Many valid points in this Thread, so I'll just say this rather than beating a dead horse;

I am confident that Tiy and everyone else on this dev team has a much richer perspective on the ultimate shortcomings of Terraria than any of its raging fans (myself included), and will avoid those pitfalls with Starbound. The community has been united and loud in its desire to see mod support and better custom-map-designing (without using janky 3rd party software like TEdit), and the dev team has spoken to that already. They're listening and because of that, Starbound is sure to be good.

2. Grayecastle

Grayecastle Big Damn Hero

For all you who absolutely insist that Terraria is going to die. When one door closes another opens. Whether its Starbound or another game, something amazing is going to come along and your going to forget all about Terraria. Everybody just chill and we'll all see what happens next ;)

FrootLewp likes this.
  3. Vaidred

Vaidred Phantasmal Quasar

EXACTLY, Terraria is not dead!

4. mrmcmo

mrmcmo Pangalactic Porcupine

I played terraria, but... i lost my "worship" for it. cant wait for starbound.

FrootLewp likes this.
  5. Ryan

Ryan Phantasmal Quasar

Same here.

6. FachiniStudios

FachiniStudios Orbital Explorer

Thanks for the information :D

7. FungusTrooper

FungusTrooper Phantasmal Quasar

Terraria debate aside, this was an actually useful topic. Thanks LadyAj.. aji.. ajieu.. Lady.

8. SoldierMorty

SoldierMorty Big Damn Hero

Thank you very much for this informative thread. When I heard about the situation with Terraria I was peeved and devastated at the same time. Scouring through the Starbound forums makes me very excited for this game, and I can't wait to see what else it has to offer when it gets released!

9. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

wait wait wait wait, you can build on the planet and in a big point -terraforming or something?- hm... gotta love griefing in a giant way :D

ot: awesome , just awesome

10. jaxter0987

jaxter0987 Big Damn Hero

Oh god...griefing is going to be hardcore O.O

On-Topic: Terrarforming at such a scale is very interesting.

11. DarkDXZ

DarkDXZ Phantasmal Quasar

The main difference that divides Terraria from Starbound is the genre.
    You may be thinking "WTF its the same gener!!!111oneoneeleven110", but it's not - Terraria, is in fact, very specific Metroidavania.

Didn't see that coming, ditchya? Now, let me explain...
    In games like Minecraft, you generally can stick to one tier of tools (e.g. iron) to grasp most of the game's fun.
    In Terraria, on the other hand, better tools are required to progress in the game, much like new powers are required to progress in Metroidavanias.
    Double jump, better weapons, ability to break blocks you couldn't break before - it's all one destructible Super Metroid.

Manipulation of pseudo-random landscape - that's the main feature of Metroidvania-type game, Terraria.

See? Terraria's genre debate is over, hands down, give me Starbound Beta.

Fluffy, Sors and Kuripu like this.
  12. StrafeHunter

StrafeHunter Void-Bound Voyager

Terraria is one of my favorite games ever. I've played it since it came out, but when the developers announced they were moving on i wasn't upset. Terraria as a game is pretty much done. All they could have added is more hats.

Terraria wasnt minecraft, it was done when it came out. Not all that long ago once a game was put out that was it, no more content, but with terraria we got a whole games worth of extra content for free.

If Starbound takes everything that made terraria great, spices it up with some new stuff and makes it 10 times longer, which seems to be precisely what they are doing, then it will be even better than terraria.

13. Joxalot

Joxalot Subatomic Cosmonaut

Dude Terraria is a Racing FPSRPG what the hell.

Sors likes this.
  14. Sors

Sors Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah people need to know their genres X3

15. jaxter0987

jaxter0987 Big Damn Hero

Pretty sure he was trolling with that post O.O

But yeah I'm getting tired of the people who say that Starbound is Terraria 2.0 ...

Sors likes this.
  16. Sors

Sors Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah I agree with you it's just fun to respond:p

17. DarkDXZ

DarkDXZ Phantasmal Quasar

What the HELL are you talking about?
    My previous post was a joke, everyone knows that Terraria is a Puzzle TBS...
    Under what rock do you live not to know that?

18. SoldierMorty

Uh, I'm sorry to tell you folks this but Terraria's a stirring drama combined with a bit of avant-garde. Wait, what?

19. Palladion

Palladion Subatomic Cosmonaut

Um, no, I don't think so. You've been analyzing the game all wrong.

Everyone KNOWS Terraria is a romantic dating sim, filled to the brim with climatic action and drama, playing as a young girl washed up onto the land, forced to survive in the wild. You then find respect by the potential suitors by killing their comrades. Then, later on in the middle of the game, you accidentally find yourself into a huge love octagon between the Slime, Zombie, Eater of Worlds, Skeletron, Pink Jellyfish, Mimic, the Maneater Plant, and the Bone Serpent. However, at the end you can choose one boy to end your game with and live a happy life forever.

I can't BELIEVE I had to educate you on that!

Yen and Joxalot like this.
  20. SoldierMorty

Mother of God.

It all makes sense now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.