1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I not freeze to death when on asteroid fields?..

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Maneripi, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Maneripi

Maneripi Space Spelunker

I'm in sector X, I have the survival system, I've tried multiple times to go to asteroid fields, but every time it just winds up being a complete waste of fuel. I've tried putting torches down, but that hardly does anything at all, and it only allows me to stay in one specific spot. Is there SOME WAY I can survive long enough to maybe mine some ores?!

2. Tanek

Tanek Pangalactic Porcupine

The survival system only takes care of air. What armor are you wearing? I'm not sure how well the Snow Infantry set holds up there, but it may have more temp rating than the standard gear for your tier.

3. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Use campfires or nanostoves, and wear better armor.

Ninja'd

4. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Once you get violium armor you stop freezing in the asteroid fields

MysticMalevolence and Serenity like this.
  5. HexZyle

HexZyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A campfire gives the heat equivalant of almost 9 torches, (equivalant to a full set of Violium armor) and has double the warmth range. They're crap-easy to make, and they've got a decent radius of heat. A nanostove is even better, available from your quick crafting menu once you've crafted a Portable Pixel Printer. It provides double the heat of a campfire, at over double the range.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Axe Garian likes this.
  6. Tux1342

Tux1342 Big Damn Hero

My imperium armor doesn't keep me warm...

7. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

In the planet-type asteroid fields, or in the asteroid field above every planet, that you get to by making a tower?

8. Tux1342

Tux1342 Big Damn Hero

Oh I don't know about planet type, the ones I climb to

9. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Nothing will keep you warm for long in planet orbit

10. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Nanostoves do, or else you have to have multiple campfires spread out.

Check out this guy's post from awhile ago.

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

yes but if you wander away from them you die in seconds

12. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Right, but they keep you warm as long as you integrate them into your Orbital Space Station architecture.

I read your post as "You can only delay death by hypothermia, you will lose heat no matter what you do if you are in a planet's orbit", so I wanted to point out that it's very possible to build up in a planet's orbit, it just isn't convenient to do so.

13. HexZyle

[​IMG]

Axe Garian and Lecic like this.
  14. Maneripi

Maneripi Space Spelunker

I got Impervium armor and it makes it so I don't freeze at all. My heat level doesn't even go down at all.

15. Starboundcommunity566

Starboundcommunity566 Pangalactic Porcupine

Still hoping they'll fix regular campfires working in no air locations. The more people that know of nano, the less people complaining about heavy rain.

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. janusforbeare

janusforbeare Phantasmal Quasar

Heavy rain still has its own problems that have nothing to do with destroying campfires/furnaces, for instance, spawning inside enclosed spaces.

However, I do agree that it would be nice to see campfires, etc. be ineffective in zero-oxygen environments. Just apply the result we get when trying to place torches underwater to moons and asteroids, and we're golden.

17. HexZyle

By the same logic, getting close to lava rather than touching it should apply burn to a player, and all sources of heat bar clothing should not have effect in zero-oxygen environments. (It should be silent, too :p)

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  18. janusforbeare

Yeah, that's true. Starbound isn't hard sci-fi, though. It's soft (ie. entertaining, silly, occasionally cheesy) sci-fi, kinda like Star Wars. As such, Chucklefish can play somewhat fast and loose with the laws of the universe, at which point, I think that the tropes the audience have become accustomed to in similar media becomes more important than pure logic. I don't think anyone can really tell you where to draw the line, but to my mind, sound effects in a vacuum are fine (since they're a staple of the genre), while fires burning push the envelope a bit too far.

Axe Garian and HexZyle like this.
  19. HexZyle

But... explosions in space are okay?!

20. janusforbeare

Yup, they're established in the genre. Star Trek, Star Wars, BSG, Firefly, and of course my darling Farscape all had awesome space essplosions.

That's how I look at it, anyways.