1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Horrific Lag, no clue why! Please help.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lachee, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Lachee

Lachee Existential Complex

Hello,
    I have been following Risk of Rain for a while, and I have now got it on steam as a christmas gift from a mate so we can play online together. However, whenever I play it (even before it went to chucklefish) I experience tremendous lag on my system (around 20-30FPS).

This is terrible as it is in a single player game, but when it comes to online it is nearly impossible. Please help at least explain whats happening, as I know my computer does have the guts to run it.

Here are my specs:
    I have already tried turning down the in game settings, so please help :\

EDIT: It seems to be all GM games (or at least some) as I just discovered I have horrific lag on Gunpoint too :\
    EDIT: Just went through my drivers, I seem to have 2 display drivers but my Catalyist Control Center records one which is: Radeon HD
    Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6520G

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    • bologna_man

bologna_man Void-Bound Voyager

I had the same problem a few days ago. Try updating your graphics drivers. That did the trick for me.

• Lachee

Thanks, I'll try that now. Actually when trying it I discovered my graphics card model.... and the other one too :\

This is really odd, Catalyist Control Center says I have one (unless I right-click it) and its AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6520G, but my device driver manager says I have two and the other one is 6750M. Im guessing one is part of my APU and the other is a seperate. I'll update the 6520G first as it seems to be the priority one.

• Lachee

Okay, I figured out a strange temporary solution to keep me up into the 60FPS.

What I do is that I start the game without any controllers pluged in, this will give me lag.
          Once started I plug in the controller and the FPS jump to 60, although I cannot use the controller.
          Start playing :D

Not sure what is causing this, but the controller I am using is the PS3 controller and using Better DS3 to make it run.

• vikeyev69

vikeyev69 Big Damn Hero

It sounds like your on a laptop. Gaming laptops generally have 2 Graphics cards, one for less power consumption and another for gaming. Usually there is somewhere you can switch between them. Use whichever one is most powerful, when gaming.

I've been having the same lag problem on the Radeon HD 6990, I just updated my graphics drivers today so I know it isn't that. It's the game. Gonna try your weird fix and hope that works.

EDIT: fix didn't work still lagging like a bitch.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
            • Lachee

Thats a shame. I know gamemaker has some issues with some types of graphics cards but i'm not sure how to fix it (beside my weird way) that would help you :\

And yea, im on a laptop, the HP Pavilion dv6

• ranmafan

ranmafan Big Damn Hero

If it's a Radeon, you may have something called 'Configure Switchable Graphics' in your context menu when right clicking on the desktop. If you do, set RoR to High Performance to ensure the best GPU handles it.