1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED HomeSick - Over 80 Diverse Building Blocks, Now Craftable from the Start!

Discussion in 'Crafting and Building' started by Vib Rib, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Vib Rib

Vib Rib Tentacle Wrangler

Are you tired of always building your homes out of wood and cobblestone? Looking for more diverse decoration?
    It seems kind of lame that you can only build with a very few basic building materials when there's so many blocks in the game. All you can craft is packed dirt, cobblestone, planks, and a few other common types. But there are all these beautiful exotic building blocks and you can only get them by ripping up existing dungeons and villages. As a result, so many starting houses were these blank, samey wood-and-stone affairs with very little personality.
    That's where HomeSick comes in!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Homesick adds over 80 starting recipes for any character. Building blocks from tech metal and avian glyph bricks to pressurized steel girders and bamboo platforms are now craftable! To ensure the player has access to these early on, most recipes just use simple starter resources like clay, stone, wood, and sand, but a few of the more high tech options will require metal. Anything that uses metal we've tried to return at a decent ratio so you don't need mountains of the stuff, usually 10 blocks per bar, which is better than the game gives for most things.
    Never again will you be forced to find and demolish entire settlements just so you can build a house with some personality!

The plan is to add decorative items at some point too, so you can at the least craft varied furniture items right off the bat. Seems silly a Glitch can't build medieval tables and chairs, after all. For now though it's just the blocks.

Download it here!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  2. ReMark

ReMark Subatomic Cosmonaut

Whoa! Awesome mod! I wondered why you couldn't just -make- the blocks from the get-go, so this is a really nice fix to that issue! Thanks!

ColdSpiral and MDoubleM like this.
  3. MDoubleM

MDoubleM Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Great job! I'll be using it a lot after upcoming release :)

ReMark likes this.
  4. Firestar

Firestar Void-Bound Voyager

Oh thank you! It really bothered me that the only way to get blocks was to... rip apart a village :(

MDoubleM likes this.
  5. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Phantasmal Quasar

I don't think adding a new playerconfig works, I tried it just before checking out your mod, and then tried your mod and I get an error on startup.

6. ReMark

I just had to reinstall Starbound for... Unknown reasons. I'll check back when it starts working again (Getting past the loading screen is now a new issue for me).

I don't think this is related to the mod, but it might be with the player.config. I'll check to see if the stuff is properly placed and all that.

7. ReMark

If you need to, delete the file and verify the cache with steam. It'll re-download the file for you. From there, download this playerconfig and compare it to the vanilla one to see where the code is supposed to be. Mine now works, and it was because of a single space.

Now, the error might be attributed to something else, so please, get back to me if it hassles you! (Always keep a backup of the original file too!)

EDIT: If you use notepad++, it'll make it easier just to add the lines to the original file, that way you can avoid trashing the old one on accident!

EDIT 2 : Sorry, I didn't post this sooner, but the mod works wonderfully well! :D Thank you for all these wonderful blocks!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  8. Vib Rib

Updated OP with new version of the mod for the new version of the game.

9. Machomango

Machomango Void-Bound Voyager

Used the new download and its still giving errors :rolleyes: help !

Edit1: Heres a link to the error if this help's any. http://puu.sh/5IHTD.png

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  10. ThisIsGoobly

ThisIsGoobly Phantasmal Quasar

Very nice. Thanks for this!

11. ColdSpiral

ColdSpiral Void-Bound Voyager

This is wonderful, thank you. My Hylotl monk tires of living in stony forts.
    In the event that a dev reads this, I'd like to see this implemented into the vanilla game, please, though with a compromise to avoid spoiling content - the blueprints for the more exotic blocks are unlocked only after collecting that block from the world for the first time.
    So rather than dismantling a temple for its shiny walls, we can take one block, examine it, and determine how to make our own. Similar to the 3D printer but with legitimate crafting.
    Perhaps each race can start off with access to their own recipes, similar to the Racial Furniture mod that's floating around (which should also be implemented)?

Domehead and ReMark like this.
  12. ReMark

A fantastic idea, which I whole-heartedly agree. This would definitely be the best way to approach the subject and would most likely be the way I'd choose to have the game, at least once it's in stage 2 or 3.

13. Vib Rib

This is sort of the goal, but I avoided a lot of it for now because it would require uploading an edited version of every material (so they would have the "learnblueprintonpickup" function), and plus, there are some building materials that can't be found in the game at all right now, like the Hylotl materials.

If it were easier to control, at this point, how the player acquires recipes, I'd definitely follow that road.
    I'm pretty sure this is the sort of thing the devs will add eventually, and much better than I have, but until then this should stop the gap for a time.

ColdSpiral likes this.
  14. ColdSpiral

ColdSpiral Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for your reply.
    I had a rummage around in the files after I posted, figuring I could cobble something together for my own use, and came to the same conclusion. Making the blocks craftable at all by introducing new recipes is straightforward enough, but to have to modify each item to give the recipe is too intrusive and risks conflicts with other mods or updates down the track. I think I'm just stunned that it's not already a fundamental feature of the game, even in beta.

15. Lunacent

Lunacent Space Spelunker

Hm just tried this mod, don't have any other installed, and it works perfect in game, but when i click save and quit, i get a run time error...

16. kitsunespirit

kitsunespirit Cosmic Narwhal

I wish the devs would put this in the game and make it official. I'd love to do multiplayer and have a fish house or something. :)

17. Vib Rib

First post and download link updated for new version: Indignant Koala.

ReMark likes this.
  18. Zanzibar

Zanzibar Aquatic Astronaut

Thank you very much for this mod and your speedy updates.

19. UrashimaStar

UrashimaStar Tentacle Wrangler

I love this, thank you for taking out of your time to make this. I must say, however, that all these crafting recipes are starting to clog the crafting list a bit (it is too small), so I might configure this to a modded tile-making table.

20. ReMark

Found a typo.
    "Dark smooth Sdone"

I also saw a recipe with a perfectly generic item, but I believe that to be my config file. I'll edit this post if I find out.