Modding Help Help Creating Personal Race Mod?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by evendel, Sep 13, 2014.

1. evendel

evendel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm not sure that I'm really up to the in-depth work of attempting full-on mod work here...but I was wondering how easy is it to cannibalize mods to make a personal race mod?

Here's the thing...I like the idea of the Novakid. It's fun and a little different to make the energy beings essentially ADHD walking bombs who are stuck in the American Western setting. I get that it's a fun departure from the rest of the sci-fi stuff of Starbound what with the locomotive spaceship and the cowboy hats etc. But I personally really, really liked the visual concept of the Anodyne's as essentially ancient greco-roman style embodied in stellar energy.

The Novakid+ mod gets me the cool energy bodyshape and I'm good with that. But then I'm disappointed with the ship, clothing, and weapons essentially. I found the Azamos (which, by the way, has an interesting alternative progression) who have a toga top and bottom piece of clothing. It looks good in my opinion and I'd like to hang on to that. But there isn't anything else from that mod (so far as I can tell) that I would need to salvage for my idea of the Anodyne-esque race. And once I have the clothing I can just put those in the vanity slot to hide any armor pieces that I don't like.

As for weapons so far I really like the look of the stuff for the Avali. In fact if I play more than a single character (which I likely will) I will probably have an Avali somewhere in space, too. But I don't want to have to have both characters hovering on the same worlds at all times necessarily, or to have to switch back and forth between them to upgrade weapons or anything. So for relative ease I'd like to snag the weapons from the Avali mod for this cannibal mod.

Then as far as the ship goes...well that can really be more of a straight up mod as far as I can tell at a glance. I currently have my eye on Rizzozo's ECCA 832 Survey Explorer. But there I wonder, with my Avali example, would adding the new ship before I create an Avali force that character to use the new ship? Or since the Avali mod comes with it's own ship does that over-ride a ship mod?

I think that covers it. So is there an easy way to strip those things from other mods to make this work as a single cohesive personal mod?

2. evendel

evendel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So probably the best answer would be to literally cannibalize the mods for recipe's etc. and essentially "build" a mod of my own off of pre-made material? Going in and renaming everything to be "custom" to me?