Modding Help Help a newbie install some mods?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Fauxglove, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Fauxglove

Fauxglove Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm trying to get some mods installed. I know, I know, immediately after a major content patch isn't a great time to be learning this, but I just bought the game, so work with me here. I did my due diligence, looking up guides and videos for installation, but a lot of them are either outdated, or assume common knowledge that I don't have. if I could get some help, I'd really appreciate it.

I know very little about modding, so if you're assuming I know something trivially simple, chances are I don't. if I haven't mentioned it here, I haven't done it.

Installed Starbound via Steam to the default folder. Opened Starbound folder, added a 'mods' folder since one wasn't included. Found mods to test on that are listed as Upbeat Giraffe compatible; Lucario character mod and ACCM. Downloaded, unzipped to newly created mods folder.
    http://puu.sh/fiWzn/621ed075fc.jpg

Opened each folder, ensured that the folder and modinfo heirarchy were correct. In the case of the Lucario mod, deleted superfluous overhead folders and relocated the Modinfo folder
    http://puu.sh/fiWMH/42aee2cc07.jpg

Opened the Modinfo files using Notepad++ and edited the Paths entry to point it at the correct folders.
    http://puu.sh/fj0A3/15547b81f2.jpg
    (Edit: Upon closer inspection I can see that the Lucario character mod is listed as "Version: Beta v. Upbeat Giraffe" instead of Stable V. Upbeat Giraffe. But if the mod installations were working properly, I'd imagine I'd be getting the expanded character creation screen from ACCM, and I'm not, so I'm thinking there's something else wrong in addition.)

And...that's it. Rebooted the game to refresh everything, and nothing. According to all the guides I've read, those mods should be active and available in the game, but they're not.

What step am I missing? What ridiculously simple mistake have I made?

2. Motionless

Motionless Pangalactic Porcupine

Best Answer
    Make sure you have updated to version Upbeat Giraffe.
    Extract both mods into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods
    Folder names are "Familiars.Stable.Dev" and "ACCM"
    DO NOT touch any other files. Just run the game.

I tested each mod. Both run fine and together.

Hope this helps.

3. Osoreshi

Osoreshi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

mods are now installed in "giraffe_storage".
    Simply copy and paste them inside "mods" folder!
    [​IMG]

4. Fauxglove

I've moved the two folders to the Mods section, deleted the old mods folder, and now it's crashing after the Chucklefish splash screen with this error message:
    http://puu.sh/fj6w7/58ff7a8c12.png

5. Osoreshi

That error points modified treasure pools aren't working. Not your fault, must be something wrong with the mod.

6. Fauxglove

I've removed the Lucario character mod from the folder and left the ACCM in. The program boots now, but I'm still not getting the modified character creation screen.
    This implies either the mods still aren't configured right, or the ACCM won't activate its GUI unless there's a custom character to display.
    Any clue what might be wrong still? Or any suggestion on a custom character mod that you know for a fact works that I can test with?

7. Osoreshi

When you launch the game, on the right bottom side you can see in red font which assets are being loaded. ACCM should be showing there.
    No sorry, I don't know any race mods. Also its been a long time since the last update so I don't know which modders kept updating their mods

8. Fauxglove

http://puu.sh/fjdOV/a336828f3c.jpg
    There's the red text in the bottom right. I can see it shows the ACCM/Interface, that means it is recognizing the ACCM and it is active?[DOUBLEPOST=1422763061][/DOUBLEPOST]So I've downloaded the most recent character mod I could find, which is the Familiars mod. Uploaded it, did the things, and it's showing the familiar mods in the red mod list:
    http://puu.sh/fjfmP/defa59dabe.jpg
    But still no change to the character generation screen. I'm noticing now that the filepaths within the mod folder are backslashes instead of forward slashes like the rest of the filepaths. Could that be a problem, or is that normal?

Once again at a loss. :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  9. Osoreshi

Interesting. But don't worry about backslashes, that's completely normal. If is showing, is loading.
    What I wonder is if you character mods are compatible with ACCM. Or if there is another side step needed for them to show on ACCM

10. Fauxglove

I've reviewed the download page and I don't see any mention of additional steps needed; it just says "Install to mods folder and it works like any other character creation mod." Which doesn't help me because I don't know how other character creation mods work. :p Adjusted the CharacterCreation.config file to include the testing race mod in the SpeciesOrdering section of the script, to no effect.
    Familiars mod suggests using Kawa's xbawx mod, but that one isn't updated.

Thank you for your help. If nothing else, you've given me a better understanding of how mods work so that I can troubleshoot better.

I'll be bumping this in the morning to see if anyone else has any ideas.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  11. Motionless

Best Answer
    Make sure you have updated to version Upbeat Giraffe.
    Extract both mods into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods
    Folder names are "Familiars.Stable.Dev" and "ACCM"
    DO NOT touch any other files. Just run the game.

I tested each mod. Both run fine and together.

Hope this helps.

12. Fauxglove

So...that appears to have been the problem. The tutorial I followed told me to edit the Mod.config file, and doing so was messing up the mods.

ACCM is working and I've got the test mods active and running.

I feel kinda dumb now.

Thank you, Motionless.

13. Motionless

No problem. Happy to help. :up: