1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever...

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Sremaj, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

I just think it loads all required assets to show the world to the player.

Actual generation and chunk loading indeed happens when you beam down on the surface, but during the animation it just determines the type and the dungeons on it from the seed and then loads all the assets required to present that type of planet+dungeons.

2. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

I can get an decently high one (1080p HD TV via HDMI), but I would think we need more of someone with a 3-monitor Eyefinity or whatever setup.

Yeah seems like the travel was supposed to cover the rendering of the starting area and likely a chunk buffer like Minecraft does (I think i is 1 chunk in the 4 cardinal directions and the diagonals). The rest is supposed to be rendered fast enough you don't have time to notice it at the speed you are walking at. It also the likely covers up creating the file and reading it. It is nice to know it can be skipped.

You do realize, We just laid the groundwork for tweak to do a speedrun of the game (without waiting out the FTL sequence).

ejh1990 likes this.
  3. Sremaj

Sremaj Phantasmal Quasar

I have been watching the thread evolve. This is a great example of how helpful this community can be! I am very excited to try and cut down on that FTL drive time - thank you guys so much for looking in to this for me! I really hope this lands on the developer's radar that the FTL travel time is a tad lengthy for some people.

4. [Yellow]

[Yellow] Phantasmal Quasar

I've almost fallen asleep while my character slept in a bed to try and regenerate some health.
    It was such a pain...

Sremaj likes this.
  5. Cpt_FluffyBottom

Cpt_FluffyBottom Aquatic Astronaut

-looks at his computer-
    -looks at my computer-
    -cries at how terrible my ancient laptop is-
    I cant wait until I get a Mac, it will be way better... But then enemies wont freeze because of the lag...

6. DoomFire

DoomFire Existential Complex

I got this PC specifically for gaming. I used to have ancient laptop woes, but it all goes up from when you get a new computer. ^ - ^

7. Sremaj

Sremaj Phantasmal Quasar

I feel your pain. It's my wish that the higher-tier beds would regenerate health quicker since we have more health to regenerate. Would be cool if they could buff it with each tier to heal the player at the same rate visually to compensate for the extra health. We'll see if they do more with it.

[Yellow] likes this.
  8. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Actually, you know what might solve that problem in one fell swoop? Rather than make the HP regen based on a number, make it so you regenerate a percentile per second. 100 or 500, if you're regenerating 10% per second, or even 5% then it'd make the process take the same amount of time and you wouldn't need to bother making tiers of beds.

9. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

As a matter of fact I have.

Late night bounding with little sleep the previous night.

Lucky I reached my destination as the sunlight was comeing through my window.

10. Sremaj

Sremaj Phantasmal Quasar

I like your solution and it makes sense. I was hoping for practical use for all these different beds they made, other than just a lot of time spent of different visuals for the same piece of furniture. Don't get me wrong, I like variety but I would feel somewhat annoyed if I made all those items in the game for no other purpose than to just look different.

11. The Demon of Borders

The Demon of Borders King Homestuck 4.13

I don't know about anybody else, but I find the FTL sequences very relaxing. They're a good moment to take inventory, heal up or just generally do some thinking. I can see why people would want it to be shorter, though.

12. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

...What? Seemed relevant to me... :rofl:

No. I have never fallen asleep during the travel animations... Unless, of course, you count in-game :zzz:. The travel animation is generally pretty quick for me, except for that one time that is bugged and continued forever.

Macs almost never make good gaming computers.
    Actually, I don't think Starbound even works for Mac right now.

13. Cpt_FluffyBottom

Cpt_FluffyBottom Aquatic Astronaut

Hey, If you saw my laptop, you would probably think a Mac is way better, I hope it works on a Mac

14. Bagel

Bagel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

On a bit of a tangent, I never understood why traveling to a star system hundreds of light-years away took the same amount of time to get to in FTL that flying to the moon right next to the planet i'm orbiting takes.

15. Pyre

Pyre Void-Bound Voyager

From a lore standpoint, I've theorized that all FTL travel in StarBound involves the ship folding the fabric of space-time.
    Imagine folding a piece of paper so that 2 points on the paper, usually far away when unfolded, are now touching.
    Now imagine the cross-section of that folded paper. The distance between these 2 points, while minuscule, is not 0.
    If a robot were to automate this folding process, this distance would be more or less constant every time it folded the paper.

In this case, the metaphorical paper is the universe, the action of folding it is the FTL drive, and the small space between the 2 points is the hyperspace that your ship travels through.
    Of course, this is all conjecture.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    Sremaj, MilkCalf, Skarn and 1 other person like this.
  16. LethalShade

LethalShade Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]

He tried to stay awake during the FTL travel...

Sremaj and Skarn like this.
  17. Bagel

Bagel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Totally, and that makes perfect sense for traveling humongous distances. But you wouldn't even need FTL to go over to the Moon from Earth. It's too close. I understand from a technical standpoint its the loading screen, but lore wise it's totally unnecessary unless warping is the only way ships can move.

18. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

The ships do have other engines, but they're more for positioning around a planet, or perhaps lifting off from one, rather than traveling between them.

I would not assume that just because we're orbiting a planet that the satellites would necessarily be close by. On Earth, empty space starts 50-62 miles up(depending on who you ask), our Moon is nearly 240,000 miles away.

The beauty of warp drive is that it's not subject to newtonian physics, thus you can close that distance in 30 seconds with a single lump of coal. Just imagine how much rocket fuel would be required, especially if you wanted to reach your target in anything approaching the 30-second mark. You'd have to average 28,800,000 miles an hour. (assuming moon distance)

Edit: Of course, satellites in the starbound verse do seem to be closer, but I'm not sure how much so, the map screen seems to just be representative-- a way to squish all of the visitable planets into one space. If they were actually that close, I'd expect them to blot out the sky in those areas underneath...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  19. Sremaj

Sremaj Phantasmal Quasar

What a great way to explain that. Love it :)

Still, all that paper folding puts me to sleep apparently.