1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anybody ever done this before?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Alexx, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Alexx

Alexx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I want to find a small planet and try to destroy all blocks on the planet
    and plug up all the liquids, I'm curious if it's possible and what would happen

.-.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    Zatnik and KevinFragger2427 like this.
  2. KevinFragger2427

KevinFragger2427 Pangalactic Porcupine

Send me pictures when you're done! Although I'm pretty sure it'll just be a massive pool of lava. (cause that's what you hit at the bottom of any world.)

3. Alexx

but what if the lava was plugged up?
    im gonna start now, will post updates

4. KevinFragger2427

At the bottom of every world is a horizontal wall of lava. If you're mining the entire world away, there won't be anything to "plug" it up with. Sorry to spoil your fun, bud.

5. Rayze Darr

Rayze Darr Space Penguin Leader

Seems like an easy solution. As far as I can tell, liquids in Starbound are much more easily destructible than they were in Terraria or Minecraft, for example. Place a block of dirt over a liquid, then break it, and the liquid is gone. Take care of the lava first and foremost, filling the entire lava pool with dirt, and there won't be any more to even flow into the broken off sections.

I know that this works with lava on the surface. Many times have I died by melting and used this same technique to retrieve my goods from a pool of molten hot goodness.

6. KevinFragger2427

Nope, this lava is different. You can't place down any blocks in that region, and you can't mine away the back wall to drain the magma out because you're too deep.

7. Alexx

still gonna destroy all of the blocks on the planet
    :D fun not ruined

roadrashh and KevinFragger2427 like this.
  8. KevinFragger2427

Haha good to hear. Keep me posted. :)

9. Rayze Darr

This is good to know. Still Alexx, you could get a group together to farm every block except for the lava, maybe with a layer of dirt covering the lava so that no one falls in. Imagine an entire village built on top of a burning sea. Maybe make the dirt red and build some ships out of obsidian that could appear to be floating in the lava.

KevinFragger2427 likes this.
  10. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

Yes I believe someone did do something similar a while back, to other people, using questionable methods.

So you get to do it legit

11. Alexx

I'm too lazy to install any mods, so this is all legit, and will take so much time.
    I've started to flatten a tiny planet's surface so far, and before i waste hours, i need to be positive nothing is faster than diamond drill, is there?

12. Rayze Darr

As far as I know, the Diamond Drill is the way to go. Best of luck to you on your endeavors!

KevinFragger2427 and Alexx like this.
  13. Alexx

ill post pics every so often, keep you guys updated, when it's all done ill make a short youtube video or something, showing the planet

14. Razercase

Razercase Void-Bound Voyager

wat

http://i.imgur.com/WYGsVws.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cTjHURn.jpg

These are both at the core. Pretty sure you can dig/place blocks there. I've been building stuff down there since day 2.
    The lava at the core is slightly different from surface lava. Its slightly more transparent and infinitely regenerates. HOWEVER, you can slowly remove it by placing blocks over the lava. If you let the lava flow back in, the filled in space will become regular lava. You can see the line in picture 1 where the two lava types touch. I put blocks there before digging out the space in a V shape.

Basically you just have to keep a block between free space and the lava, or else it will flow back up. That is, until you reach the bottom.

But you are right about the background not draining it.

15. Alexx

I'm not sure how I feel about that, all i know is im gonna do something and its gonna take a lot of time

16. KevinFragger2427

I've been wrong before. Humans make mistakes all the time. Don't you quote me any more on that, though. I have a reputation to maintain. :sparta:

EDIT: Since "day 2??" What are you, a casual? :saywhat:

17. Alexx

First Progress Log: i hate blaststone with a passion now

krylo, penguin055, Zouleena and 5 others like this.
  18. Rayze Darr

I'd just like to take a moment to tell you that both of those look absolutely amazing. How far down does the lava wall go, out of curiosity?

19. Razercase

Razercase Void-Bound Voyager

It varies between planets. In the first pic, the lava goes about 3/4 of a screen higher whereas in the second pic, the mural of myself is barely above the line.

And both pics were taken from the very very bottom.

20. Rayze Darr

Well that's not so bad. I was half expecting the lava wall to expand another full planet's worth downward.