hand to hand combat

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by lukeib618, Aug 18, 2013.

?

what level do you think should be put in the game?

1. None, for i am a lily livered coward.

2.4%
  2. 1. Because this IS a 2d exploration game but self defense is important.

10.8%
  3. 2. Because I like the fighting idea and want to punch things and light them on fire at the same time

22.9%
  4. 3. Because the brawlers need the ability to dodge but not unique crouching attacks

7.2%
  5. 4. Because I like strong crouching attacks

1.2%
  6. 5. Because I enjoy wrestling and grabbing my foes

15.7%
  7. 6. Because I like improving my character

16.9%
  8. 11. because REASONS

13.3%
  9. I think there can be some improvements on this (respond)

7.2%
  10. arghdhsifogdhsjgfalksgh I HATE YOU

2.4%
  1. lukeib618

lukeib618 Void-Bound Voyager

The higher the level number, the more complex and difficult to make it is. Each level has the stuff from the last with upgrades (stuff in parenthesis are more informational) [brackets are side silly things that had to be shown with the information] please stick with me on the wall of text for I lack image creating software on my jerry-rigged computer.

Level 1: Almost necessary

When your hands are empty you can attempt to punch stuff. the regular click (main hand) will result in punches while the secondary click (other hand) will result in kicks.

There can be weapons for increasing punching or kicking power, such as brass knuckles or shoe-knives. The weapons could have randomly generated stats when found and could also be crafted.

When holding something in one hand or a two handed weapon you can use the unused button to kick enemies back (low damage, high knockback) but it can't be done when duel wielding.

randomly generated stats when found and could also be crafted.

When holding something in one hand or a two handed weapon you can use the unused button to kick enemies back (low damage, high knockback) but it can't be done when duel wielding.

Level 2: Possible

Holding down the button can result in a more charged attack (punch charge = wind-up, kick charge = (small monsters get punted[ :mad:} ==>:poptop:] , humanoid monsters get a critical hit [D:] , and large quadropeds get kicked in their face)).

The weapons can have randomly generated elements [falcon PUNCH :sparta:].

There can be simple combos.

Level 3: Would be helpful

Quick buttons to change from armed to disarmed, change from standing to crouching, and a dodge button.

Additional equip slots for the melee weapons one slot for each hand / foot.

Level 4: Beginning to get complex

The ability to fight while crouching with different charge attacks while crouching (punch charge = uppercut [shoryuken], kick charge = leg sweep).

Better combos.

Both buttons held down can do a unique move but I don't know what.

Level 5: Unlikely

Grapples on middle click
    (simple press = shove / throw, hold = grapple, crouch press = football tackle, crouch hold = i don't know maybe a pickpocket/disarm give ideas)

grapples pick up small foes to throw but only holds back larger mobs

Level 6: I'll be impressed if this gets in

A skill increase for fighting styles and for the time it takes to swap between fighting styles.

At higher levels of fighting styles, combos get better.

Fighting style swap means if you predominantly punch for a while when you start kicking the kicking would be for the punching style for a while but then change to the kicking style.

Fighting styles have unique dodges at higher levels.

Low skill punch = Kirk chop and/or pathetic clawing, increased by punching stuff, High skill punch = mixed martial arts / TV wrestling.

Low skill kick = pathetic shin kicks, increased by kicking stuff, High level kicks = Kung Fu / Capoeira.

Low skill grappling = slaps/shoves, increased by grappling with things [wrestling bears with your bare hands], High level grappling = Grecian wrestling / sumo.

Low skill style change = when using multiple attack types stays the same style for a while slowly changing to the next one, the attacks not in the same style are weaker (example: when you are in the top punch fighting style, your kicks and grapples will be weaker and styled for that style), increased by using a variety of punches kicks and grapples, High skill style change = when using multiple attack types combos will involve multiple fighting styles with a small adjustment time and no attacks being weakened (example: punching repeatedly then kicking repeatedly results in the regular punching then a punch style kick which segways almost instantly into the kicking style combo).

Sorry for the wall of text, please respond with suggestions and ideas
    now for silly stuff and reasons for this:
    gentlemanly fisticuffs :proper:
    bar fights :cool: :mad: :fusrodah: :zzz: :lolwut: :iswydt: :love:
    self defense in prisons until you get a shiv / prison fights :saywhat: :mad::devil: :viking: :mad: :megusta: :scissors: :cautious:
    self defense when lacking weapons
    for those who want to rp monks or wrestlers
    also arena fights.

Akimbo Lee, Rugmonkey, Rukrio and 8 others like this.
  2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

Arthanen likes this.
  3. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

To quote myself:
    Basically, you could equip a knuckle in one hand that creates a flying uppercut like the Shoryuken, and also have a different knuckle in the other hand that uses the Falcon Punch. Meanwhile you could equip a tech item that causes you to perform a drop-kick if you press jump again while mid-air. If that isn't your style, a different tech item might grant you an extra jump that works like the Tatsumaki kick, spinning like a tornado.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Basically you would create your own unique fighting style by combining different hand/fist moves on your clicks and different kicking moves while midair. It would also be rather easy to have the fist weapons change the way they work depending on if you are crouched or mid-air, like sending shockwaves along the ground, tripping enemies, or whatever. On top of that, it means that to specialize in hand-to-hand combat, you have to use up equipment slots instead of just getting it for free.

I'd significantly prefer this, since it preserves the item-based progression that the game is already based on.

Akimbo Lee, ggh325 and Cloudhopper like this.
  4. lukeib618

That actually sounds really good.
    i still like the quick-button for weapon to fist-fighting as well as the extra slots for melee stuff.
    Maybe the slots could be
    Basics improve stats
    Styles: general fighting styles max 2
    Elements: the elements your attacks do with a max of 3
    Specials: special moves you have with a max of 4
    each one is crafted
    the basics by killing enemies with your bare hands
    styles by mixing basics with melee weapons
    elements are made by mixing basics with an enemy drop which has the element type
    specials are made by mixing basics with blocks

5. Huami

Huami Pangalactic Porcupine

a long ways to implement such a sophisticated system, would primarily fit a vs fighting game like tekken or street fighter, might be too complex for starbound as of now, but a seemingly interesting idea nonetheless ^^

^ referring to level 3 and up

6. Looka

Looka Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Basically, you want to play street fighter on starbound. Laserguns are not enough for you?
    I think that a hand-to-hand system could only be implemented on some conditions.
    You may want to have your punches as effective as other weapons (otherwise there's no point in that) BUT:
    - Your melee damage without weapons start out with low power (like a wooden sword or similar) and medium speed;​
    - Then you can upgrade it with appropriate weapons (like knucles/boots) or artifacts (that teach you skills/combos or boost your base power/speed);​
    - OR you can have to learn to fight by yourself (exp/leveling system). I changed my mind, that will be unbalancing.
    Anyway, I don't think devs will implement that before release. Maybe someday... who knows.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  7. lukeib618

yeah the idea is starting punches are relatively weak yet could get developed to higher levels

8. Looka

Yes but the punch&kick upgrade system should be balanced with the rest of the weapon system. There shouldn't be any particular advantage. Having to find artifacts (scrolls, stone tablets, etc.) to learn new skills, like new combos or even ranged skills (hadouken!) in chests around the universe is more balanced than simply kicking some random ass around. What do you think?

9. lukeib618

that sounds good for the special moves and fighting but the actual stats could be increased by beating stuff up if said creature is relatively strong/stronger as drops
    (it can only go up to a certain point per creature strength)
    (so to get end game stats for hand to hand you have to kill end game creatures to get the stats instead of grinding)

10. Looka

Both killing certain creatures and grinding are unbalanced methods, if you ask me. If you want stronger weapons you have to find them, right? For a hand-to-hand system to be balanced with weapons, artifacts that give you skills and knukles/boots to be found in chests or crafted from ores and other materials are perfect, because to be strong you have to do the same things as if you use weapons and their strenght would be the same. I know that the "killing -> gimme exp" thing is simpler but then to be stronger you simply have to kill things and that's not balanced at all. Also, you have to consider that probably those skills would have to be equipped in slots, because if you could use them simultaneously (without having to swap weapons) only by holding some knuckles and doing combos, your character would be too strong.
    Anyway, don't get me wrong. I like your idea but if you get too strong easily the balancing is gone. And devs like balancing, a lot.

11. DeadlyLuvdisc

Balance means that two players of the same skill level can use equipment at the same power level and be fairly even in a fight. It also means that players can choose different strategies and still be even, since if one strategy is always better then everyone is more likely to use that strategy. Balance encourages variety, and that means a more interesting experience.

Other problems with Exp include the fact that it rewards players for staying in one spot to farm mobs instead of exploring and finding items, and it also punishes players who would rather avoid mobs instead of fighting them because they won't get Exp. On top of that, it means that players will want to train up to max before they do any PvP because they will probably lose if they are fighting with the same equipment but have lower Exp.

I'd rather be able to do balanced PvP right from the beginning, and be able to race through dungeons without fighting very much unless I want to.

Looka likes this.
  12. Looka

That's pretty much the same thing I wanted to say but with better words. Thanks Deadly.

Also, I had an idea: what if those artifacts instead of "simply" teaching you a skill (that will require a new skill system) and then disappear could be equipped like a weapon?

Example n°1:
    - You find the "IronFist" scroll (no spells here, it's a scroll containing a martial art technique);
    - You equip it in the right hand slot (or left if you prefer) and you have still space for your flashlight (or whatever you want) in the other hand;
    - You can now punch enemies (maybe with some fiery animation when you punch) at the cost of some energy, like a normal weapon.

Example n°2:
    - You find the "Hadouken" scroll (any reference to existing techniques is purely coincidental);
    - You equip it in the "hand slot" (and for obvious reasons is dual weilding);
    - You can fire energy balls with higher (higher than a simple punch at least) energy cost.

At the end it's like you got a weapon, right? Some of this scrolls can also have "combo moves" (like punch-kick-headbutt or a rain of punches).
    What do you say?

13. DeadlyLuvdisc

More like what did I say. Skim over my posts Here and Here.
    Basically I completely agree, but I flesh it out a bit more.

14. RainbowStarBoy

RainbowStarBoy Space Spelunker

This! I NEED THIS!! I just posted on a thread about chain melee combos but this is even better!!! I wanna go all KOF on monsters with flaming uppercuts and kicks. This would be perfect on a side-scroller like Starbound. I want my little dude kill'n things with his knuckles!!X3
    Get this on suggestions. Get it noticed. Get it in the game.

15. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

I like the idea. But It would have to be post release as it would require new animations for every race and every armor.

ggh325 likes this.
  16. Looka

Good point. This time I have to agree with you (I'm surprised of myself).

17. DeadlyLuvdisc

Maybe not. You could use the spear thrusting animation, remove the spear, add a flaming fist graphic...
    For the shoryuken uppercut you could use a straight arm angled upwards while jumping, again with a flaming fist graphic.
    Adding kicks would be more complicated, though. It might be worth it, though.

Consider how things they are already making, like plants, trees, blocks, mobs, etc...
    Adding more animations to existing armor might take time, but the artists will have time after the release.

Looka likes this.
  18. lukeib618

i love how this suggestion is lasting awhile

19. enemarius86

enemarius86 Cosmic Narwhal

20. H-Alo

H-Alo Phantasmal Quasar

Did NOT see this.
    *searches for his eyeballs*
    'cept mine IS differing, in a way.
    It's more barehand combat combo-stringing.
    :p