1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Hamachi?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SaintPanda, Jul 31, 2013.

?

Will Hamachi work for Starbound?

1. It will work

37.1%
  2. It probably will work

30.2%
  3. I don't know

26.7%
  4. It probably won't work

0.9%
  5. It won't work

5.2%
  1. SaintPanda

SaintPanda Cosmic Narwhal

I don't really understand how Hamachi works exactly, but will Hamachi work for starbound, or will Starbound have something that will conflict?

DJOkamical likes this.
  2. CrimsonWingzz

CrimsonWingzz Pangalactic Porcupine

Since the game is gonna be on Steam it means it will always be connected to the internet. Which also means it won't have to be LAN (like Tunngle for people wanting to play from different routers). So yes, Hamachi will work just like it would with Terraria.

HOW IT WORKS (IN MY WORDS):

Hamachi works like this. Since Port-forwarding would allow for ANYONE to connect to a server. You're IP in default would not have any ports that are open (for example, Minecraft's port is 25565, I think). So when you open a network in Hamachi, you're port-forwarding a private network only allowed to people who join that network or people with each other in that network. So for example:

SaintPanda joins CrimsonWingzz network, it allows for the connection of both IP's so then you can host a server and I can join with the predefined Hamachi IP that you get, or you can join my server.

Hows that for understandable English. Shit.

DJOkamical and Lugubrious like this.
  3. SaintPanda

I understood most of that. I use Hamachi a lot, me and my friend play Terraria on his world and Gmod. We were going to try minecraft, but apparently you have to do all sorts of complicated crap that we couldn't be bothered with.

DJOkamical likes this.
  4. flippitydip

flippitydip Big Damn Hero

You don't have to do much for minecraft, in the server files look for server properties (it's a txt file) and look for "server ip" type in your hamachi ip address and launch the server! That's pretty much it. You could also try opening a single player world to LAN in the pause menu. And to answer your question I do believe hamachi will work with starbound considering it works with so many other applications. I've used it with torchlight II, unreal tournament '04, minecraft, terraria, gmod, titan quest, starcraft, warcraft, and a few other games I can't remember at the moment.

DJOkamical likes this.
  5. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

I'm pretty sure that Hamachi will work on Starbound too!

DJOkamical likes this.
  6. LoneRobo

LoneRobo Sandwich Man

I'm not sure why Hamachi would not work, but I really hope that since Starbound will be on Steam, setting up multiplayer games will be easy like in Borderlands 2.

DJOkamical and Jnse like this.
  7. Goldstar

Goldstar Big Damn Hero

The way i understand it is Hamachi sort of pretends you have a local area network going with the people connected to it. Thats what makes it easier to connect to people through it.

I dont see why it wouldnt work, but i dont know the technical details so my guess isnt very useful.

DJOkamical likes this.
  8. Xots

Xots Industrial Terraformer

The only problem I see is that hamachi might not be compatible with the coding language, C++, but I honestly don't see that being a problem because C++ is better than Java and C# in optimization and connectivity. So yes, it will probably work.

Or you could just take a day to port forward and not worry about hamachi ever again.

DJOkamical likes this.
  9. Jnse

Jnse Void-Bound Voyager

Hamachi is super-easy.
    You create a Network (Id + Password)
    Your friends connect to this Network.
    They go in multiplayer and copy-paste your ipv4 (25.other numbers [For me])
    Simple as this.

DJOkamical likes this.
  10. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Hamachi should be emulating hardware (in this case a LAN network) and should work independently of the programming language the program uses. Also a lot of games are done in C++ I believe.

Also some people can not port forward either because they are not allowed access to their router (kids and people who live in places like Dorms).

I think the main issue with hamachi and minecraft is minecraft tries and uses your internal networks IP which is not the IP hamachi gives you thus minecraft does not detect the request to join. Try what flippitydip said.

DJOkamical likes this.
  11. Gouki

Gouki Subatomic Cosmonaut

I hope it won't work, no need to support pirates. Because that's going to be 99% of the people using it.

I hope there will be a really nasty authentication system - globally and for each privately hosted server.

And obviously serious anti-cheat system.

Else this won't bode well.

DJOkamical likes this.
  12. Galactic Mindswipe

Galactic Mindswipe Giant Laser Beams

I prefer to use Evolve to host servers. I'm not sure how it works, but basically you add someone, invite them to a party, they enter the IP under your name, done. Easy. And it's not your real IP either.

DJOkamical and imrevned like this.
  13. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

I need to look into evolve and how it works, either like hamachi or it has it's servers forward through an open port on your computer or something.

Unfortunately finding a way to stop Hamachi would also put a lot of legit players who can't port forward in a bind where they have to buy a server if they want to play on their own worlds with friends.

Not a fan of the term "really nasty authentication system" but a good system to check players are not faking credentials would be good. Don't want someone faking admin or even developer accounts to mess with the game. The anti-cheat for MP would be good as well.

DJOkamical, Renlou and Shippo like this.
  14. Jnse

Jnse Void-Bound Voyager

I hope the multiplayer system to be Borderlands 2 Like, or Saints row 3

DJOkamical likes this.
  15. MisterMappo

MisterMappo Void-Bound Voyager

My guess is it will work. Virtual Private Networking like Hamachi, Evolve, and Tunngle is really just a way to make computers think they are all connected to the same network switch. The whole thing is a bit complicated and there's a lot more to it than that, but that's the basic idea of a VPN. Making computers think they're in the same room, connected to the same LAN. Kind of like in an internet cafe. If Chucklefish does want to allow people their own private servers, then there's no reason why VPNs shouldn't work since the concept of connecting to a server hosted publicly with a public IP address is the same as connecting to a server with a private IP address (provided you're in the same LAN). Things get a little bit trickier when the server is behind a firewall/router and doesn't have it's own public IP and has to be translated, but that's what port forwarding is for after all. Of course, I could be very very very wrong, but that's my guess.

16. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I think the developers were setting up multiplayer so that Hamachi isn't necessary, and the game does most of it for you.

DJOkamical and tassina like this.
  17. claudekennilol

claudekennilol Space Kumquat

This is what we've been told. Hamachi shouldn't be necessary. But there's no reason you can't also use it if you want to.

DJOkamical, tassina and Jonesy like this.
  18. SaintPanda

Will it be terraria style hosting? The system in Terraria was weird, it only worked if we used Hamachi

DJOkamical likes this.
  19. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Apparently, Starbound won't require Hamachi. It should take care of everything for you, in theory. They're trying to make a friendlier system than Terraria.

DJOkamical likes this.
  20. MisterMappo

MisterMappo Void-Bound Voyager

This is interesting. Are they going to make the server automatically forward the port when creating a multiplayer game? Something like UPnP port forwarding? If so, that would make things extremely simple and easy for a lot of players. Or were they thinking more in the lines of something like a matchmaking server?

DJOkamical likes this.