1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Guide] Advanced Wiring Guide

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SeaJay, Dec 24, 2013.

1. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

Here you go.

2. Nate McCloud

Nate McCloud Existential Complex

3. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

Added Synchronous Counter, BCD Counter, and BCD to 7-segment Decoder. I've been putting these off because they're annoying, bulky machines that are hard to explain and illustrate with clarity.

Don't let them intimidate you! ;)

4. Alkali

Alkali Void-Bound Voyager

I really love this work, it's great to see the complex stuff you can make!
    Just curious why you didn't use liquid sensors in your airlock to make sure it's clear? I can see you've worked out the timing so it's not necessary, but still...

5. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

Definitely a good idea, I should put that in. It occurred to me at the time, but I was too lazy to implement it.

Now that I think about it, I could use them to make the exit a little shorter (the chamber is empty of water, no need to wait around as long)

6. Skhmt

Skhmt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

SeaJay, question for you. Is there a way via wiring to get say 10 wired animated signs to all start their animation simultaneously?

7. Khuur

Khuur Pangalactic Porcupine

My favourite airlock wiring guide has a lunar base trap door (whatever it's called) above the airlock). When you leave, both doors close, then it opens to fill the airlock with water, then the outer door opens, already equilibrated.

8. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

Simply wiring them all to the same source works fine for me.

Sounds good to me. Maybe I'll have to build a "deluxe" airlock with automatic draining + what you just posted.

Khuur likes this.
  9. Skhmt

I tried that, no dice.

10. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

Try connecting it up, quitting to menu, then coming back in. It should be synced up then.

11. Alkali

Alkali Void-Bound Voyager

Here's my simple version of the airlock (although not as strictly simple as need be).
    You operate it via the external door; when that's open the internal door closes and the drains de-activate (so you get that satisfying filling-up-with-water feel).
    When you close the outer door, the drains re-activate, but the inner door only opens when there's no liquid. It's about a second after the liquid is visibly gone before the door opens, thanks to invisible liquid.

To make it even simpler, you can leave the drains constantly running, and have the inner door simply linked up to the liquid sensor (through a not gate), the inner door snaps shut as soon as there's liquid.

Attached Files:

12. Skhmt

Didn't know that would fix it, thanks for answering my stupid question, lol. Now the question is, do I make a 99 frame massive sign grid as a movie or not.

Khuur likes this.
  13. combatmedic02

combatmedic02 Void-Bound Voyager

I noticed a couple of people asking about airlocks here. We made a airlock/decompression chamber on our server's underwater base. Took us a little while but after we figured it out a community veteran, Arkin, made a video for our YouTube channel on how to put it together which people might find helpful? :)

Ieatcray0ns likes this.
  14. Mr_Ramych

Mr_Ramych Void-Bound Voyager

Can some computer be built in starbound?

15. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Sure it can, you just have to take the time to do it. Example:

("Can ______ be modded in?" has the same answer in almost all cases)

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    Chrillzilla likes this.
  16. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

I'm still blown away by this every time I watch it.

17. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Me too, he said he did that in 2 weeks, which seems like a feat in itself.

He also made a usable Tic-Tac-Toe game with wiring and a cool lightboard mod thing.

18. Severite

Severite Subatomic Cosmonaut

Is there a way to make a constant source switch, effectively into a momentary switch?

19. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

An edge detector may be what you're looking for, check the section on them in the OP.

20. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

How do you make an airlock in Upbeat Giraffe? Preferably nothing too complicated, as I'm new to advanced wiring. Thanks.