1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Guide] Advanced Wiring Guide

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SeaJay, Dec 24, 2013.

1. saik0

saik0 Space Spelunker

I dont think we can make a synchronous version. The switches seem to toggle "when they feel like it" when given a 1 tick pulse. Not only that, we'd have to add delays equal to the critical path of the highest bit, so I think it'd be even bigger than the one I showed above.

Edit: Also, unfortunetly that one tick pulse button is not very fault tolerant. Mash E a few times and see. =(

2. madtulip

madtulip Phantasmal Quasar

interesting

3. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

I can't get my head around a sequential version just yet, I'll play with it and see. I plan on just using a Timer gate, not by using one-tick pulses.

The one-tick pulse button can't be mashed too quickly, but it still seems like the best way to manually generate single 1-tick pulses. A button and pulse shortener uses more gates and can't do it nearly as quickly. If I wanted a regular clock of 1-tick pulses I'd use a 1-clock or your cool DDR thing, depending on what I'm using it for.

4. Hexerin

Hexerin Existential Complex

i look at this, and i think to myself, why do i need an engineering degree to make stuff in a video game?

5. madtulip

madtulip Phantasmal Quasar

You didnt do the engineering degree for the video game. Playing a video game while beening educated that way results in using it that way imo. Perception drives action, but also action drives perception.

Also i believe that the generation that was introduced to videogames as a child stayed with that and now 20 years later many of them have reached an education which makes them use games in a different way. When videogames where introduced people already educated that way in the mid of theire lifes where probably not that suceptible to the new trend which is why this was not like that from the beginning.

I think this is in general a good thing and i wonder if the generation will still listen to heavy metal, hiphop, punk or drum and bass once they are 80.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  6. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

This is hobbyist-level digital electronics, it's not that bad once you get a feel for it. I've tried my best to make it easy to understand.

If you don't care so much about the inner workings and just want a machine that does X, I'm sure someone would be glad to make it for you.

Note: I updated the OP to include info about the Small Wall Switch, a step-by-step guide to basic ripple counters, and some other small additions. I also cut back a couple sections that were getting too wordy.

7. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

I like that password door. Then again, I also like being able to see my walls if I have my Wiring Tool equipped.

8. saik0

saik0 Space Spelunker

Nobody has done a shift register yet, thinking of demonstrating that next.

Edit: Interesting, chaining D-latches on the same one-tick-pulse-clock results in metastability. Sometimes Q1(next) is Q0(current), sometimes it's data in. If you want to chain them you need to use a buffer. My led matrix ticker tape just got bigger =(

Chunks are 32 x 32. Is spawn always in a corner of a chunk? If so, which? I'd like to try and prevent crossing chunk bounds.

9. OobleckTheGreen

OobleckTheGreen Space Kumquat

What I'd like to see now is a way to make all the electronic stuff I build disappear from my walls so I can decorate with normal stuff.

One way to do this would be to implement an "Integrated Circuit" object. Essentially, it would have an input and output like all other electrical devices, but you could open it up like a chest and place/connect gates and switches. This would allow complex circuits to take up only one space on a wall.

Another way might be to implement a "mode" for electronic components. By default it is visible. Interact ("E") with it once and it becomes invisible unless the wiring tool is active.

Unclever title and Harlander like this.
  10. Paragon123

Paragon123 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Great tutorial, I am more of a software guy than a hardware guy though...

Here's a rendition of how Imagine an Instruction pointer might work though
    Along the Right are the Instructions... each having a 2 bit address and 4 bits of data

The top 4 bulbs on the Left being the current instruction
    The 2 bulbs below that being the instruction pointer value
    The four bulbs in the bottom middle displaying sequentally which instruction is active (more a debug feature)
    [​IMG]

At Instruction address 00
    [​IMG]

At Instruction 01
    [​IMG]

Of course, it's just pointing at the instruction... not actually acting on it, but there seems to be something up with the wiring system where alot of my connections required resetting... so I don't think I'll try too much more until that gets sorted out.
    The other thing I noticed is that the wiring doesn't go as far as I'd like (I tried putting a not switch at the bottom of the world and a bulb at the surface... it didn't work :( But that means I wouldn't have quite as much room as would be preferable.

Also, I didn't have access to any levers or scanners or what have you.. just the stuff in the wiring station so the data potions (particularly the data potion of the instruction) should have been levers.
    I was contemplating a 8x8 grid of 5x7 bulb/pixel characters as an output... then having a ridiculus amount of output memory to control what gets output... It would be nice to see a bulb with three inputs.. a R/G/B to allow up to 8 colors depening on which inputs where powered.

Hopefully the wiring glitches will be worked out in future releases so it stops forgetting what's wired to what.... also it would be nice if the gates could be placed directly next to each other and still be able to be connected...

Azyr, saik0 and SeaJay like this.
  11. Sherisky

Sherisky Poptop Tamer

Make "integrated circuit" into a kind of props.

12. MeMyselfAnDie

MeMyselfAnDie Seal Broken

Wow, I got distracted by minecraft (again) and come back to see this thread flourishing. I like it. I might have to start playing starbound again so I don't fall behind... xD

13. AoiYami

AoiYami Starship Captain

Ok, usually I don't get confused and understand things with at most a few little questions, but this confuses me. I think I figured out why this confuses me though, All of the different terms and names are hard to understand (at least not without a demonstration by video or just trying it out yourself (which I have yet to try)). Looking at the pictures I can kinda reword it to explain to myself how it works, so if anyone wants a translation to the completely not electronically inclined version just ask me (and I'll used the photos on the guide to explain it in the way I understand). I might even create a version of this for myself that is more understandable to me.

14. ahappydude

ahappydude Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for this guide, wiring can create so much epicness

15. Tweak

Tweak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Too advanced for me. For all the how-to you supply, I fail to understand why I would find any of this useful.

I think I would benefit and understand more if there were examples of implementation, like the trading room (and even in that case, you mention four doors and I can't tell where they are without labels).

16. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

If you make a rewording, I'll put a link to it in the OP.

What kind of things would you like to see? The wiring system isn't fully fleshed out right now, so there's not many real-world problems it can help with yet. I'm waiting on proper lights, Terraria-esque actuators, Minecraft-esque pistons and dispensers, etc.

Right now the guide is a mix of some building blocks (flip-flops, toggles, clocks, counters) and some basic implementations (locking trap, automatic door, trading room). I might be adding a combination door lock in the future.

For the trading room, there are only six doors in the picture, two of which are just entrances. When I say "four centre doors" I mean the other four.

17. Wintermaulz

Wintermaulz Pangalactic Porcupine

:eek:

this is too much science for this brain to handle, but gj

18. Unclever title

Unclever title Cosmic Narwhal

I love this thread. The sws toggle and pulse shorteners will save me so much frustration.

19. saik0

saik0 Space Spelunker

Here's a video with a shift register. Can do more detailed screenshots if you guys want.

Vrow and Azyr like this.
  20. Paragon123

Paragon123 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Did anyone notice the small wall switches working differently then they had before the patch? I.E. Sending a pulse does not cause them to change state?