Gold

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by bounding star, Jun 9, 2012.

?

What is better

1. Gooey gold tools that break on touch

3.6%
  2. New original uses like electronics

96.4%
  1. bounding star

bounding star Existential Complex

In most recent games, gold has been used to make better tools but in real life, gold is sof and it's only real uses are in electronics.
    In starbound, gold should be used to make computers and stuff, as a corrosion resistant coating and to sell and make decorations with.
    I don't want to see gold pick axes n stuff in starbound because it is an unrealistic cliche and there are many other more realistic and creative uses for it instead.

Evangelion, Khan, Soron and 11 others like this.
  2. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Im preeeeety sure we will have LOTS OF THOUSANDS OF MILLIONS of things stronger than all materials in Earth together.

3. bounding star

Wat u mean?

4. RedRain

RedRain Scruffy Nerf-Herder

he MEANS that there are only what.... one hundred and something elements on earth? for all we know, there could be MILLIONS of elements that are a hundred times stronger than earth's strongest element.
    but then again, gold has sentimental value, because it is RARE. so it could be used for electronics and decorations, as you said.

5. Daston

Daston Space Penguin Leader

Gold should be only used for jewelery or in electrinics as you said.
    i probably know what you mean, using pure elements isnt really effective (pure aluminum or gold is very soft)for example we have to mix iron with a little bit of coal to recive steel etc. What do you guys think: the minerals in Starbound should be only real(iron, uranium, coal etc) or with made-up minerals(starkium, unobtanium, meteorite and others from terraria)?

6. bounding star

Real elements and alloys

7. T.A.W.A.M

T.A.W.A.M Subatomic Cosmonaut

both options

ZirkMcT and Lachee like this.
  8. Heyub

Heyub Intergalactic Tourist

I agree, there are much more creative uses for gold other than tools. Gold is used in a wide variety of ways, ranging from electronics to space-grade sunglasses.

9. R_C_A^

R_C_A^ Pangalactic Porcupine

I agree with having more realistic uses for gold, but id still like to have my leet gold plaited pistol/assault rifle ;)

Blazerer and Lachee like this.
  10. Heyub

Heyub Intergalactic Tourist

There is nothing unrealistic about gold plating, it is a very successful marketing scam...

WoxandWarf and Blazerer like this.
  11. bounding star

Too bad gold plating doesnt make it shoot any further.

12. Fireninja404

Fireninja404 Subatomic Cosmonaut

"i like goooooooold" -Goldmember

creepwolf likes this.
  13. Manilian

Manilian Big Damn Hero

Lets get creative guys, how about use an element from space that can harden the gold to make the damage counter the same as steel? It can be powerful and bling at the same time.

XRiZUX, WoxandWarf, ZirkMcT and 3 others like this.
  14. bounding star

Nice idea. Makes it much more realistic.

Manilian likes this.
  15. Jayne Cobb

Jayne Cobb Big Damn Hero

But I want my gold princess Leia armor :(

Cassiterides likes this.
  16. bounding star

I had an idea that if you wanted a tool that was really sharp but wore out easy, instead of gold you could have zirconium since it is really hard and sharp but also brittle. other than that, it has some other interesting properties too.

17. Cassiterides

Cassiterides Void-Bound Voyager

In most applications, gold is crap. The Aztecs called it "the excrement of the Gods." It is a worthless construction material (super malleable and weak) and in my opinion is gaudy and hideous (you will never see me with a gold plated weapon, matte black for me). I would love to see it needed for electronics though. For example, to improve your space station one would need to gather the appropriate kilograms of gold for that part's sensitive communication devices and such. That would be an appropriate application of gold that wouldn't cause me to grit my teeth.

Saxor, XRiZUX, WoxandWarf and 5 others like this.
  18. Valen

Valen Pangalactic Porcupine

I agree, gold should be a weaker material in the game, of course as others have said, it will be one of the weakest materials due to the most likely massive amount of materials/ores/metals that will be in Starbound.

19. Imnotdavis

Imnotdavis Big Damn Hero

Gold is, in real life, a mineral that is made to make things look good such as jewelry and if you really feel like being an idiot, a suit made of thin gold. I actually think that in games if you searched for hours finding gold that would be an accomplishment wouldn't it? You should be able to make something useful out of this gold and then, if you find enough of it, make an entire house out of it (that's what I did in Terraria).

20. Bombzero

Bombzero Giant Laser Beams

gold and silver both are horrible metals for any sort of hard use, I would much rather the Starbound devs go with either all custom ores or that they don't use soft metals for weapons in game.

so full agreement from me.