1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

getonmylevel.ca

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ayeso, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Ayeso

Ayeso Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey everyone, I will be hosting a server for Starbound! I currently host a fairly populated minecraft server and have for the last year and a bit. We used to have an average of 20-25 users online. It has died down as of late as I have been away with work and then sick for a while.

The server will be hosted in Philadelphia PA.

http://www.getonmylevel.ca

Im looking forward to hosting during beta and to gather a wide community of players. All ages and lifestyles are more then welcome! We currently have 181 members and look to increase that further with the beta of starbound!

2. Keadin

Keadin Big Damn Hero

Sounds good! Also, I'm eternally inquisitive, and although "all ages" is pretty standard fare, the lifestyles bit sparked my interest. Any special meaning to it?

3. Kazvent

Kazvent Big Damn Hero

Grat going to try it when beta is on

4. Ayeso

Well, Im a very open person and I know sometimes the internet, mainly due to anonymity, can be cruel and very much like the typical high school "cool crowds" where certain outsiders arent allowed in. I try to avoid that and treat everyone equally. If anyone is being harassed, or verbally abused etc I deal with it swiftly.

Age, race, gender, lifestyle, everyone is allowed to play on my servers as long as you treat each other nicely. We have users from the age of 12 up to the age of 46, male and female, from USA and Canada, to Sweden and UK.

Also, a rather upsetting thing is my webhost just crashed haha! This is why I should really just host my own web service on my main server. But I was trying to keep them seperate incase the server goes down, I can keep everyone updated!

Keadin likes this.
  5. Keadin

Keadin Big Damn Hero

Awesome, I'm sold then. All we need now is beta! :p

Passarbye likes this.
  6. Ayeso

Here is an snippet of the rules for my minecraft server. Which Im sure most of the same rules will apply.
    General rule: DON'T BE A DICK
    Don't Harass Admins or Players
    • Don't harass an admin for anything, unless there is a problem. We're a PvP server, and admins are not obligated, nor are they supposed to give players teleports, items, OP status, Mod status or Admin status.Don't harass players by doing anything that is detrimental to another players experience. This includes false accusations of spawn camping and griefing.

We do not tolerate racism of any kind. If you have any questions about what racism is, contact an admin or mod for further details.
    • Do not sexually harass other players. Do not make sexist remarks. We run a server and community that promotes equality amongst all genders, we don't tolerate any belittling of other players' gender. Continually following another player and other forms of nonverbal harassment grants the harassed player the ability to kill you as many times as they please so long as you continue to harass them in any location except for your own town. ie If you harass someone who killed you, you no longer have PvP protection under the "Don't Camp Players" rule.

7. AlphaMongoose

AlphaMongoose Ketchup Robot

Looks interesting, but I don't really go on large servers. Just some temporary hosts with my friends.

8. Freekill

Freekill Pangalactic Porcupine

What if being a dick is someone's lifestyle choice? I guess that means you don't allow all lifestyles after all, ya silly hypocrite.

Herdo and Iojiki like this.
  9. Ayeso

Ok fair enough, I am tolerant of ALL lifestyles with the exception of those that break my cardinal rule. If youre lifestyle is to be a dick, you can host your own server and be surrounded by other dicks :)

MessiahDJ and Keadin like this.
  10. Mister Green

Mister Green Phantasmal Quasar

Your server sounds very appealing! I'll check it out!

11. Keadin

Keadin Big Damn Hero

Will it be a PVP server though? I've never been much of a PVP'er :p Although in this particular game I could retreat to a random planet and no one would ever find me...

12. Ayeso

Well the good thing about starting a new server is it will be up to us to decide on that. My minecraft server I made pvp after discussion with a bunch of other people on the server.

If its popular enough I might also run 2 servers. 1 PVP 1 PVE. With minecraft I was running 3 servers concurrently. Now reduced to 1 as I dont really play much anymore but leave it up for others to play on.

Keadin likes this.
  13. Sadron

Sadron Ketchup Robot

If it's in PA why's the url .ca?

14. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Existential Complex

Looks good, but I don't know if I would like large servers. Maybe it'll be a bit more fun in a space-travelling environment in comparison to games such as Terraria.

15. Keadin

Keadin Big Damn Hero

I'm seriously liking the idea. I'm not worried about the number of people online, the galaxy is huge so there won't be much crowding I think.

16. Ayeso

Its .ca due to the fact that I am canadian and originally it was a canadian based group (Also, the website IS hosted in canada) . It expanded early on to include many users in the us and overseas. The ideal placement for the server was central/east US to give most users an average decent ping. Also partially due to the fact I got a killer deal on a server from a company based there :)

I also run a teamspeak server for everyone to use while they play.

Like I said, I doubt it will be resource intense to run a starbound server so I should be able to host many universes. I will start with 1, if there are too many users on that, I can open more.

For the tech geeks like me who might wonder on the server specs.

Server Specifications:
    [​IMG]SuperMicro Hardware
    [​IMG]Intel Xeon Quad Core Sandy Bridge E3-1270 (4/8HT Cores @ 3.40GHz)
    [​IMG]16GB DDR3 Triple Channel Unregistered ECC Memory
    [​IMG]2x 1TB - SATAII - 7.2K RPM - 3Gbps - 64MB Cache - Enterprise Class
    [​IMG]Software RAID 0 or 1
    [​IMG]1Gbps Public Network Port (Dedicated)
    [​IMG]10,000GB/mo Outbound Public Bandwidth; Free Inbound*