1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Expansions

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Vegetable Lamb, Sep 20, 2014.

1. ravenscroftranch

ravenscroftranch Industrial Terraformer

"expansion packs" would probly be bad for business....

for this type of game thats like charging for mods basicly...

i feel that would be a mistake...

Uzkniso likes this.
  2. Vegetable Lamb

Vegetable Lamb Existential Complex

Actually, I was in the middle of that, and the dev's wife got cancer so he took off a ton of time to deal with that. And I think there were only a couple of people working on it, so that's what really killed it.

3. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

Right, because that developer needed the funds of such sales to be able to eat. That's not the case here.

CF have been pretty clear about continuing to do content after release, and they haven't put any conditions on doing so - i.e. even if they didn't get a single sale more, they would still do post release updates. That blog post shows that there isn't any financial pressure that would stop that from happening.

4. Uzkniso

Uzkniso Big Damn Hero

this.

Also, nothing against the OP or anyone else, but I think it's a little bit early to talk about expansion packs (DLCs etc) ...

5. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Right - the current funds may last for years, but it was be hubris to keep active development going for years on end. All games mentioned above had more then enough money for the same. It is only the thought of continous flow of funds which kept development possible.

A new game takes years to develop, and no guarantee that game will be financially successful. So you may have spent years on development to find out your profits are negligible at best, or even made a loss. At which point if you spent all your money on that particular development, you would not be able to develop a 3rd game without funds for doing so. Hence you already played into your own downfall.

I am not saying it will not get content post release. I am just saying that content will be influenced by the amount of funds it gets post release.

6. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

If you mean official DLC's or content packs. Definitely not, I can't find the exact quote atm.
    But I remembered the group decided it was a No in a landslide vote.
    They said if they did it would be a free addition.
    Darn I wish I could find the quote. ;\

7. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

Oh god please no. Didn't they say that this 1.0 they are talking about is just the next phase of beta? Also, isn't it damn early to talk about expansions? What is this? The sims? Do people actually accept the Electronic Arts method of marketing? Making a dumbed down game then making a zillion insignificant content packs for it? Please no. I would not mind an expansion pack if it was something important and was like, half a year later after release at least.

8. ravenscroftranch

ravenscroftranch Industrial Terraformer

last i heard the next update wont be 1.0 but it was said it will then wont then will again so idk :rofl: and i will ask you this lora... if you play minecraft have you bought realms? just saying :)

9. janusforbeare

janusforbeare Phantasmal Quasar

Expansion packs were originally a good idea. They filled a conspicuous gap before Steam really took off and brought digital distribution to the masses (sure, there was the EA download manager - now Origin - but that never really caught on). For example, you can't say that Throne of Bhaal for BG2 or Bloodmoon for Morrowind were insignificant content packs for half-:booty:ed games.

It's true that these days, companies like EA and Bethesda (who, ironically, are the copyright holders for the games I mentioned earlier) have gutted the system and turned it into a method of maximizing profits while producing sub-par content. That's why I tend to see a distinction between EPs and DLCs; the former were generally fairly robust and sold as physical copies, while the latter tend to be smaller in scale, distributed digitally, and cost much less. There is of course some crossover in almost all of those areas, though.

I'd be more than willing to embrace expansion packs for most of my games, if they were held up to the same standard they used to be. However, I'm not going to shell out $20 for Dawnguard (again - I already made that mistake once), Sims 4: Toddlers and Pools, or even Starbound: Starboundier.

JohnMFWayneee likes this.
  10. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

Legit expansions i have no problem with when done right. Expansions that bother me are the kind where the original game had a bunch of content cut and then sell that content later as if it was brand new. I hate that. It's bullshit. And i hope Starbound never does something like this, or anything related to somehow scamming us with an expansion that should really not exist in the first place.

Jonesy likes this.
  11. janusforbeare

janusforbeare Phantasmal Quasar

Agreed.

At least, as others have mentioned, there's little fear of that in Starbound's future.

Jonesy likes this.
  12. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I feel like what we'd most likely be seeing is a stream of smaller things, auto-updated free. New structures (be they small outposts/homes to dungeons and villages), new decor items, new Vanity Armors, new recipes, new minor quests, maybe new weapons here and there, etc.

Nothing universe-shattering (at least, not on a regular basis), just... more stuff for your sandbox.

13. Calris

This game is already successful. All that money in the bank? That's from sales of this game. They don't need post 1.0 sales to determine the success of the game, it already passed that bar. That's why I'm so confident of post release content, even if we didn't already have statements from Tiy directly answering this exact question. He said there will be updates after release. He didn't add 'if it sells well enough', because that has already happened.

14. The | Suit

You seem to be confusing my statement. Post-release content will be there. The time frame in which content will keep flowing would not be based on past sales though. People always think that the money earned by the game will all be put back into the game. Instead that money is no longer of relevance, it will be adjusted for other projects and expenses as necessary. The 2 most important factors will be the amount of players still playing, and the amount of money it still brings with the likely hood - new content can garner more money from players who have yet bought the game.

This allows for the developers to to start working on a new game while a revenue stream is maintained. You always want to have money in the bank. You never let it dwindle till nothing is left before you work on a new game. Hence it is a stream that matters most and not how big of reservoir that stream drains into.

janusforbeare likes this.
  15. Calris

Fair enough, I wasn't understanding what you were saying. That said, I still don't think you're right about the amount of post release content depending on post release sales. Remember, Tiy said that they could run for another 9 years on the funds that they have now. I'm unaware of any game in history (apart from non-commercial ones like DF) being updated on a regular basis for anything like that long, and I'd be surprised if many people would expect them to. I strongly suspect that CF would have a list containing long-term post release features that they want to implement, and it's likely that by the time that list is finished, that most people will be champing at the bit for Starbound 2 anyway.

Once again, *9 years* of money in the bank, without considering possible future sales. :) Plus, CF are clearly focusing on the future with that second team working on Wayward Tide, leaving the Starbound team able to focus exclusively on Starbound for as long as they need to.

16. The | Suit

But that is precisely the point. They don't need to.
    If new content has no hope in bringing in further sales - there is no point in continuing the development of the game.
    Dwarf fortress is completely irrelevant because it is not a commercial game. Minecraft though is a perfect example as once they opened the game to consoles, the sales eclipsed those of PC afterwards. Since the company had no plans really of expanding to other fields. It was perfect game which developed from its reservoir as opposed to its stream.

If CF wants to continue developing post release content that is great for consumers. But continuing to do so in dwindling sales is just bad business.Its better to continue to develop a product when there is still a market which remains to be tapped.

17. sparkskel

sparkskel Void-Bound Voyager

They stated they have 9 years of funding to continue to keep working on it.

18. The | Suit

The statement says they "could" - not would.

19. jpmrocks

jpmrocks Phantasmal Quasar

Um… Chucklefish said they currently have enough money to run everything they need at Chucklefish for 9 years, without selling a single copy of the game in those 9 years. I think they can do some free updates for funsies.

SeaMichelle likes this.
  20. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

1. They said that they could (with their current funds) continue to work on starbound for 9 years, but thats likely if they ONLY did starbound (no other publishing or development work).

2. They never said that the money currently in their bank was from starbound sales (that money could have allredy run out by now for all we know).