Modding Help Functional dyes

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by AmazonValkyrie, Jan 24, 2015.

1. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

I'm aiming to make dyes a part of my mods, but I'm not sure if they're functional within the game yet. I searched the game's assets, but couldn't find much besides .pngs of the dye bottles. Any advice/tips on making dyes functional? I also know there's a dye mod out there, but I'd like to do something custom that is all my own. Besides, I don't believe it's been updated in a while. Thanks for any and all help ^_^

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Dyes are not functional - but your answer lies in the question.
    The best way to make your own custom mod would be to learn from the mod which already exists.

No reason to reinvent the wheel - just improve upon it.
    Download the dye mod and see how he or she made it work - then apply your own methodology using his or hers as an example.

AmazonValkyrie likes this.
  3. AmazonValkyrie

True! I haven't tested that dye mod, but as a novice coder/modder, I'm not sure what could've made it incompatible with the unstable branch. I'll venture a bet it's the usage of _merge from it's files for Enraged Koala, and probably the object files within it. Any tips on what file types changed most from Enraged Koala to Upbeat Giraffe? Thanks ^_^

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

You would be right - though there is a bit more than that.
    Just compare the files he made then with the vanilla file structure of now and you should be ok in updating basic mods.
    All files have a slightly different or horrendously different ( base don the type of file ) from enraged koala.

as for moving from merge to patch
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/modding-guides.34001/

You can find my patch guide as well as other guides there.

Also the new Lua aspects will be found here
    http://doc.playstarbound.com/namespaceStar_1_1LuaBindings.html

As that as changed slightly also.
    If you have other further doubts feel free to post them. If its Lua based questions the other guys will help you with that.

AmazonValkyrie likes this.
  5. AmazonValkyrie

Thanks a bunch for all the info! Your help is greatly appreciated ^_^