1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Floran Physiology?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ssj782, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Byzantine

Byzantine Phantasmal Quasar

This thread makes me so happy. I'm going to have to write some Starbound fiction with all the stuff we're creating here.

Farathil and Deepclaw like this.
  2. Deepclaw

Deepclaw Star Wrangler

I think we need more theories. I wonder if there are other Headcanon threads. I know some time ago I posted my thoughts about how Glitch...well, do somewhat non-robot things like breathe and eat, but I think that was lost to the sands of time.

3. Byzantine

Sadness! Hm... I might have to make a thread dedicated to these theories for us.

4. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cosmic Narwhal

I see where you're coming from... But the whole purpose of me making this thread was for people to add in their hypotheses and/or arguments for or against said guesses. If your answer is "because"... Why are you posting? (Low on sleep so a little irritable)
    Also, if anyone does make a hypothesis thread about the other races, post it in this thread so I can read it, please.

5. Ard Galen

Ard Galen Big Damn Hero

That's the point i can't agree with. not the first one, the chances ARE extremely slim to get contact to any other form of life. but the chances of it being "humanlike" (for example bipedal) are BIGGER, not smaller. why? because evolution once proved it works for an more or less intelligent race. so we KNOW it COULD be. other forms we have no prove.
    no, i don't think humans are special, not at all. humans are physically relatively weak, they are slow, and if you hit a human a few times he falls apart. all humans are is lucky. they had a chance to develop tools, machines and weapons before anything killed them. and for this we have a proof: humans. it could work with every other form, too, but the chances for a humanlike form are a little bit bigger than for anything else.
    regarding that energy-lifeform-stuff... i think thats only sci-fi-stuff with no way of being explained other than: fantasy or magic :D

6. Deepclaw

Deepclaw Star Wrangler

I'd participate!

Although, I sort of kind of have to take my Novakid ideas back. Kind of. In the thread "Meet the Novakid" the creator of the species has some pretty great details on how Novakids do the things they do. Really interesting brain food there!

@Ssj782 - Okay!

7. Byzantine

Done! It's more of a universal theory thread, but...

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/starbound-biology-a-fanon-theory-thread.32336/

8. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

From a my perspective here's what I got.
    Floran's probably started off as normal alien plant lifeforms. During it's species living on their planet they probably started a symbiosis relationship with a animal that lives on said planet (most likely a carnivore). There could be multiple reasons why a symbiotic relationship could happen between a carnivore and a plant. Like the Moray eel and a cleaner shrimp, the shrimp will eat the parasites out of an eels mouth, it's a win win. In speculation through out many years of coinciding the animal became one. For example I remember once in biology I heard that the jelly fish wasn't just one organism on it's own. It had different organisms working together to keep it alive. Therefore it must have been separate organisms before it came together.
    After even more years of becoming a new plant/animal hybrid it probably learned evolved like we did, standing, walking, communication, and then logic. This would also explain their carnivorous/cannibalistic lifestyle due to the plant coinciding with a carnivorous animal. It would also explain why some of them are more peaceful too, due to their ability to photosynthesize and their plantlike nature. Kinda like a Jeckle and Hyde personality. Their organs would probably be mostly based on the carnivores systems, but changed drastically so they can digest both whatever they get from their light and meat, or how their blood would have glucose in it, etc..
    Once again this is a brief summary and a speculation using my use of previous practical biology logic.
    I basically just don't see how one day a plant will sprout legs and walk off without some help. (I will also post this theory on Byzantine's forum <3)

Deepclaw likes this.
  9. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cosmic Narwhal

So... Because we don't have proof, it can't be? Narrow view. So few creatures evolved bipedal in the first place, but have brains that sooner or later have the potential to become sentient life (dolphins, for instance). And to the above... If it started as a symbiotic relationship between a plant and animal, shouldn't it have become some kind of hybrid, instead of 100% plant? We could go with a piece of one of the first replies, and go with mimicry. But instead of a humanoid (that should never have been on the planet early enough), It started to mimic the animal it had the relationship with, making the animal pointless and just food.

10. Ard Galen

Ard Galen Big Damn Hero

not really, just mathematical thinking. don't try to think in comparison to other forms, think in values. if the chance for it being humanlike is bigger because you got one example, it doesn't mean the chances for the other ones are narrower. you don't have to limit it to a maximum of 1, because if you look further you may see a second lifeform, and a third, and so on. so the cances for bipedal become bigger, wich doesn't mean the chances for other forms become less likely than before. they stay exactly at the same chance. not sure if my english is good enough to explain this properly...
    anyways, most lifeforms like the mentioned dolphins, lack the necessary "hands" or something similar to evolve to anything like a form of civilization you would bother to mention in a game like starbound. no matter how intelligent, if it swims around all the time doing nothing, doesn't communicate, doesn' build or create anything, as anybody outside this race it would seem like a "normal" animal in most points.
    by the way, i took humans as an example for more or less intelligent life. not as an example for life. if you are able to name only 1 other race that created some kind of civilization to be important in this point of the discussion i would like to hear it, so i can call myself blind enough not to involve it into my ideas.
    as i said: i just try to think about the whole floran-and-other-races-stuff in a way as mathematical as possible, not at last because everybody else went to it from the logical or emotional side.

11. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cosmic Narwhal

If you took it like you said and went with the specific numbers, you're only dealing with one instance of it happening, meaning you would get a 100% humanoid chance... Which wouldn't be very accurate. I also used dolphins in my previous post because they're extremely intelligent (ever play Star Ocean: Til the End of Time? The dolphins actually had evolved legs). Just because the one race we know is humanoid, doesn't mean much. We also know that it was a huge series of flukes that humans even became sentient (think meteors and such) and the "dominant" form of life on the planet (dominant.... yeah, right. put us in a cage with any carnivore 30% of our size or larger, and see which one comes out). Using the current number of "1" is too little to make any real guess (that's why tests are done in multiples with any type of random added), considering no known planet has the exact same makeup of Earth, which is a huge deciding factor of how things evolved here.

12. Bast

Bast Subatomic Cosmonaut

The only saving grace that has us at the top is our intelligence and our tools, and we are food for a lot of things without those talents. Our bodies are frail but built to be energy efficient (aka: we're both carnivorous and herbivore) instead of being highly resilient like having thick skin or scales. If anything it is cause of our frailty that has forced us to make stronger and more efficient tools.

13. Ard Galen

Ard Galen Big Damn Hero

now i'm pretty sure my english is not fluent enough to properly explain what i wanted to tell, because i'm struggling with a few sentences of your post. hell, need to repeat those school lessons...
    the problem with dolphins is you don't know HOW intelligent they are, not at last because you can't define intelligence of all sorts over the same... measure? i don't know if it's the correct word, but i hope you understand what i want to tell. and regarding the example with the carnivore and the human in a cage... depends on 2 things: how large is the cage and is the human allowed to use weapons and tools of his choice? because if you take the weapons and tools from the human you take the especially evolved aspects of him, so you would have to take the carnivore his weapons (teeth, claws, ...) too, else it wouldn't be fair. additionally, even with weapons the human doesn't has a 100% chance of surviving, depending on his skill with his weapons, because humans have to learn to use weapons, most animals anyways using their weapons naturaly, as they are part of their bodies.
    and you can't deal only with known numbers, because there is something i know only the german word "Dunkelziffer" for, wich means the number of aspects you don't exactly know about. the size of it depends of the amount of not known aspects, and having in mind the little known part of the universe this is a REALLY huge size.

14. Ragnaros

Ragnaros Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i think there just...

:rofl:

i think there like humans and there eveolved like this by chance.

15. locustgate

locustgate Big Damn Hero

Plants that do have both reproductive organs still reproduce sexually, there is plenty of reasons to, the main being it speeds up evolution and creates variations. Otherwise the offspring are usually 'clones' of the mother. As for the 2 gender button it could be what ever gender the Floran identifies like the Hutts do, they are sexual reproducing hermaphrodites, some see themselves as female others male.

As for movement they could of first developed hydrostatic skeletons, i.e. worms, then developed 'muscles'.

Edit: it's a big universe out there god knows what can evolve.

EDIT2: 'Clone' population of plants are extremely susceptible to diseases, it's like an all you can eat...er...infect. buffet for insects and viruses/parasites.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  16. Bourneco

Bourneco Space Spelunker

Better idea.

The Floran will naturally adapt as the races began inter-mingling and genetic modification becomes more and more prominent in each races society (Hylotl, for beauty. Apex, for intelligence. Humans, for strength/benefit. Avians, to get their lost wings back. Et-cetera.)

This, however, in turn would mean that at least one reproductive system comes out ontop. Which one? I can't really say- they all have pro's and cons.

It is however likely that reverse-engineering the VEP that the Apex used could cause this to move along faster. Evolving the 'subject' faster than usual.

17. Sepkan

Sepkan Space Hobo

On the topic of humanoids in the galaxy I think there is another factor. The human form just works. It can swim, it can climb, it has dexterity, I think the humanoid form is the best form for an intelligent, sentient lifeform.

18. primeval_15429

primeval_15429 Intergalactic Tourist

the universe is big anything that could evolve probably did somewhere

19. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cosmic Narwhal

Too broad. That's the same as saying "prove it did happen" or "prove it didn't"

20. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

Now i understand why we mow down forests or secretly set them ablaze and blame it on hot summers. The plants are dangerous! Yes. They will soon evolve to kill us and eat our souls. We need to destroy them before they can come for us.

After all are destroyed, we shall replace them with plastic trees and plants for cosmetic reasons... then we'll kill those too when plastics start rising against us too.