1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

First Boss perfect Kill? (Spoiler Warning)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Greatblackshark, Aug 28, 2013.

1. I can do it. Dodging.

/touhou skills

Axe Garian and DeadlyLuvdisc like this.
  2. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

I guess alot of people on this thread are not like me, I build things for fun. So the prospect of being stuck with one block choice that takes for ever to gather to prevent my base being overrun and destroyed by mobs alone sounds horrible. No the ship is not where I want my main base to be because it's safe all shelters should be safe.

3. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

Well, Serenity, for the most part I do agree with you. If a creeper gets into my house in minecraft I pretty much just relocate and build a newly designed house. But on the same boat I think having destruction of blocks in this manner would add a very unique and intersting gameplay, and one with some more realistic building requirements. Now, I don't know the limitations/requirements for mobs to spawn, but I imagine having to build fortification around the pretty little house in the valley you have. And you don't care if the fortifications get damage, so now you have a place to fend of enemies. This of course is significantly harder with the addition of aerial monsters but I believe it would make an interesting challenge.

I'm assuming/hoping there will be some high tech shield for melee users at higher techs that absorbs damage from your energy banks instead of your health, and once your energy is depleted then your shield is broken (probably an effectless break), and this will be the energy use for melee users versus the energy use for rangers.

Axe Garian likes this.
  4. Serenity

Creppers can't destroy cobble a basic block. Sure interesting challenge mod it in then. Building creatively is more interesting to me not constant rebuilding. Do we really have to over complicate it this much what next realistic physics and eco systems being destroyed by killing to much mobs, deforestation leading to oxygen disappearing. Just mod that stuff on people don't ruin the vanilla game.

5. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

And many of the creatures we have seen destroying blocks have had trouble destroyed sand and dirt, and a much harder time with wood, I think the main concern of destruction of your stuff would be special events/bosses and bosses you wouldn't summon at your house you don't want destroyed, and special events would probably follow the character. I think you'd be able to avoid any significant risk to your stuff. It's like in terraria during a blood moon in hardmode you either build giant pits for the clowns or you get far away from your house.

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. Serenity

I just don't like it, it's up to the devs in the end.

7. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

I agree, and right now it seems like you'll get lucky because last I heard block destruction by mobs and guns was a glitch, is this still the case?

Axe Garian likes this.
  8. Serenity

Yes, you could always make mods, not to mention I am sure explosives will still do that. No clue if the creepers will do damage or if there will be a mob with that ability.

9. Deathskull

Deathskull Phantasmal Quasar

Block destruction wasn't a glitch, just blocks with grass being killed in 1 hit by projectile weapons. I'm sure that most/all mobs will have the capability to destroy blocks on high-medium level planets (this is more than just a building game, you know.)

Axe Garian likes this.
  10. Serenity

sure

11. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

I strongly dislike the idea of common mobs that can destroy all of my hard work.

Bosses are different. I'll try to encounter them away from my base. Easy solution.

Assuming my base is also my spawn point, I might have an actual disadvantage to trying to exploit spawning right by the boss battle because the base could get destroyed. I see way more pros than cons in this case. If someone asked me a week ago "should bosses destroy blocks?" I probably would have said "heck no!" but upon thinking about how I would react to it, it doesn't seem nearly so bad. I'll probably only build really nice stuff on my homeworld, and the developers will probably disable destructive events and boss fights there.

12. Serenity

Ok I agree with that.

13. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

They wont outright disable it, you will have to disable them though the homeworld control panel though, including common mining from other players.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

"Mine on your own damn homeworld, you filthy tapeleg, you!"
    Seems like a small price to pay for security.

15. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

Can someone post a link or quote where I can read up more of homeworld features? I'm picturing starting a game with my friends, we all group up in one ship and go down to the planet together, someone claims it in the first five seconds as their home planet, and then laughs and laughs as we can't get resources.

16. Serenity

Well I am taking all this info with a grain of salt will wait till beta and full release. Not base my knowledge on mechanics some people on the forums would enjoy.

17. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I strongly suspect the possibility that one cannot claim a Homeworld while they are poor, broke, & in a desperate emergency survival situation... not to mention it would be borked to be able to Homeworld any Planet in the Tutorial System. ;)

Methinks the ability to Homeworld a Planet will have to be unlocked partway through the game, maybe a drop from the 2nd Story Boss of the game... & even after that, I bet the Tutorial System(s) will be impossible to Homeworld even after that as a safeguard against New Player Griefing/Trolling. Maybe Homeworlds will be required to be a minimum Planet Level of 11, or some such... :) (IMHO, Homeworlding a Lvl 1 Planet would be a totally wimptacular thing to do anyway. :p)

18. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Its an option.
    Go to other planet, also, taking a homeworld costs stuff. We dont know what, but it costs... stuff.

19. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I've heard that it'll take financial cost to upkeep the Homeworld, & NPCs on the Homeworld, & such & other... more reason why the Devs are still pondering on if Cash Loss alone might end up sufficient penalty for dying. This isn't set in stone yet anyway, & even after it is, stone can be literally Picked up & replaced with something else anyway if it doesn't work out. :p

20. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

I'm not sure what having cash loss result in death would accomplish, as far as I'm aware they aren't planning on any modes in which death will delete the character? Just an item loss mode versus a non-item loss mode? In either of these taking a death for bankruptcy seems like an annoyance. Now if characters can get deleted, then there is definitely a reason for hardcore players to include that, but I'd assume it would be more along the lines of NPC revolution for being a crappy owner where they'd all attack you oppose to an instant death. I think the latter is too complicated though and it's more likely you just lose the home world.