1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

First Boss perfect Kill? (Spoiler Warning)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Greatblackshark, Aug 28, 2013.

1. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

the game isn't even out yet and you are trying to find ways to break it anyway.
    :wut:

2. Metalsand

Metalsand Industrial Terraformer

It doesn't have to be an open field. Recall in the video, where the matter manipulator instantly creates blocks, and can do so in a click and drag fashion unlike any other game. You could use it to create temporary cover from a missile for instance, which would decimate the cover but not you. Or if a melee-based boss is charging at you, and is too large to jump over, you could build a small dirt ramp which would then be destroyed as you narrowly jump over him. The matter manipulator is the second reason why bosses need to be able to destroy simple blocks, because while the videos did not showcase how you could use the matter manipulator defensively, there are plenty of good ways to use it.

3. like00111

like00111 Zero Gravity Genie

I think the only way zombies could break your door was on a red moon.

4. Beonadryt

Beonadryt Big Damn Hero

He didn't destroy the blocks in the video, he just damaged them and the blocks regenerated their health before he used this attack again. :p

5. Rookee

Rookee Big Damn Hero

Better to point out ways the game can be broken now instead after release. I think this is a good mark of a beta tester, being able to find exploits as well as bugs.

On topic: I think the boss should be able to break bricks as well. It would be kind of fun working as a team, someone repairing the base as someone else fights.

6. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

It's going to be very intersting to see how classes develop in this game. I was hoping, as mentioned earlier, for a tank role which could actually block damage for allies, it doesn't look like this will actually be the case (unless you are extremely skilled at jumping in front of bullets for 3 people at once), but it's not an rpg it's a sandbox, and in the event breaking blocks was implemented then the "tank" gear would probably more be used for the repairman to go out on the front lines to fix the structure.

Greatblackshark and Lyrel like this.
  7. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Well you could easily bunker that boss with a machine gun without taking any damage. Just build like a flat terrain from left to right and have bunkers set up along that flat terrain, then you would be kinda invincible throughout the battle.

But of course if you are good you won't need any bunkering, then you could fight the boss in the open without taking damage.

8. Greatblackshark

Greatblackshark Cosmic Narwhal

I dunno, seemed like it would be a bit difficult to at least dodge the ramming manoeuvre, but I guess we'll see.

9. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Yes, but when the ramming happens you should be at the other bunker, a UFO distance away. :DD

10. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

If bunkered, you don't need to dodge the ramming? If not bunked (which is what I think Greatblackshark was referring to) then you can't be at a bunker. And the UFO didn't seem to give much time between locking it's ramming location and actually ramming. But it seems that, as it is now, placing a single block 20 squares above your head will completely save you of this...

11. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I'm still wondering if i'll be screwed if I try to go through the game Full Melee after watching this Boss... will I have no choice but to have at least 1 Ranged Weapon with me at all times...? :unsure:

12. Did you forget about the TECH? Sliding, Gliding, Jetpacks and whatnot.
    I'm sure there will be ways to enjoy every kind of character :)

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. Sowaka

Sowaka Phantasmal Quasar

I'm sure they'll adjust it so that it can be hit with a jump + click. The way gear will work will sort of force you to either focus on melee or ranged later, so it seems like they don't intend for you to always have to have a ranged weapon on you.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

You must admit though, currently, it seems that fighting the ufo with a tier 1 melee weapon is... unlikely.

Greatblackshark and Axe Garian like this.
  15. klipwc

klipwc Scruffy Nerf-Herder

there will need to be indestructible / highly resistant blocks if they wanna implement block destruction. Other wise whats the point in building a thick bunker when it gets reduced to barren land in a few secs

16. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

That's a lot of effort to kill a boss that has a lot of easy to dodge attacks.

All of the little shots from the penguins move pretty slow, so just move out of the way and kill them.

The big blue shots have a charge up animation, so just move out from underneath it.

The body slam thing can be dodged by having tunnels nearby, or even a spider hole four or five blocks deep.

It gives you lots of attacks to dodge but they are all easy to dodge. I could probably kill it with zero damage on my second or third try. Perfect first boss, in my opinion. I expect higher tier bosses to deal more damage per hit and have harder to dodge attacks. I'm really excited to play this game, especially at the higher tiers.

Total disagreement. Their guns were doing 2-4 dmg per hit, but their swords were doing 30+ per hit. I'd much rather use the sword because then I can do big damage when the boss comes close, but focus on defense and killing penguins when it is further away.

Place new blocks. The matter manipulator can place them by simply dragging it around, way faster than in Terraria.

He's a tier 1 boss. Maybe tier 2 bosses will have no problem destroying dirt, then tier 2 bosses will be able to destroy wood, then stone, brick, and eventually metal and even the toughest blocks at the highest tiers. You have to continuously improve your camping game if you want to go that route, or you might just give up and focus on dodging attacks. I like this idea.

Can you imagine how awesome it would be if they made a boss that could do these sorts of things? Like a boss that puts up walls of dirt to blocks your attacks and keep you away, while shooting heavy projectiles in an arc, placing spikes and stuff? The builder boss, who mines and builds just as well as you can... it could be like Shadow Link all over again! :3

17. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

I agree with you that the sword is much more hefty, but the time jumping/dodging in between swipes significantly reduces dps and you are at significantly increased risk of damage.

Axe Garian likes this.
  18. DeadlyLuvdisc

Of course. In the end, the DPS should be about the same.

I think that since enemies can only damage you with projectiles or while using an attack with an animation, the risk of being up close isn't nearly as big as it was in Terraria. If you watch the Yogscast stream closely, you'll find that they actually touch the ship while jumping around a few times and don't take any damage, except when it is using that huge body-slam attack. If enemies damage you by simply touching you, then I would never want to use melee against enemies that don't take knockback from it.

Axe Garian likes this.
  19. Juxtor

Juxtor Phantasmal Quasar

It would make for a much more interesting experience if the damage weapons did to blocks was a longer-lasting effect. There were several times during the Yogscast boss battle that the UFO fired it's blasts down on the building and you could see the cracks appear as the blocks took damage. But the current system allows the damage done to quickly dissipate so within moments, none of the blocks were damaged anymore. If the damage done to the blocks was extended for a much longer period of time, the blasts would eventually destroy the blocks altogether and there would no longer be a defensive cover for the players. I think this would make for some much more interesting battles (especially those against bosses). I don't like the idea of implementing a Terraria-like method wherein bosses simply ignore blocks and attack players. They should have to navigate around them and deal with them. However, if the bosses (or any creature when applicable) could eventually damage blocks enough to destroy them, players would have to take serious precautions when encountering them. If they were attacked at their fancy base structure, they might end up having it largely destroyed before the boss/enemy was defeated. Plus implementing this system would be extremely simple as the only necessary modification would be to prolong the healing of blocks.

[​IMG]
    If the UFO's blasts damage lasted longer, it could eventually destroy their base. This would add a lot of tactical play possibilities.

20. DeadlyLuvdisc

I think that higher tier bosses will probably be better equipped to rip apart blocks, with repeated attacks that deal more damage to common blocks like wood and dirt. Even so, I wouldn't mind if the damage lasted as much as ten times as long, since it only seems to last for less than one second. If it lasted as long as half a minute then it might be a little too long, but five seconds seems reasonable. At that point you could expect to see a lot of blocks being destroyed in that UFO battle.

To counteract bosses destroying everything, maybe there could be a repair gun that heals blocks within an area.
    That way you don't have to go to the trouble of replacing blocks as long as you take the time to make repairs.