Electricity Generation

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by DemonlordHatty, Mar 24, 2012.

?

Did you think this was a good idea?

1. Yes, it sounds good.

81.9%
  2. No, why would you ever think of this?

2.1%
  3. Yes, but it could be better.

16.0%
  1. DemonlordHatty

DemonlordHatty Void-Bound Voyager

Although I do enjoy a good old compilation of cords and wires, I'm always struck by something in games that tends to bother me. Anno did this correctly, but they don't have any sort of wire connecting aspect so it's hardly countable.

So to get to the actual topic of this thread, I always ponder endlessly when I see switches and cords and wires, but no source of electricity to start these machines. You'll have a deep system of wires and switches, but the electricity is coming from absolutely nowhere. So, I decided to take it on myself and try to come up with some things that could help fix this problem.

First is the Wind Park. I sprited one that is on and one that is off.
    Wind_Park.gif
    On.
    Wind_Park_Off.png

Off.

Of course these have to be affected in some way by wind in order to actually produce electricity, so the one that is off does not have any blowing wind.

Then I thought that we also need some sort of storage or generator for the electricity to flow through. So I sprited that as well.

Electric_Generator.png
    On.
    Electric_Generator_Off.png
    Off.
    This can be switched on and off using the lever, and, if off, conserves energy. Which brings me to the next point in which there should be some sort of bar or warning that let's you know how much electricity is left for use. I don't know what this would look like in-game, though, so I am not able to show what I would like that to be. But the gist is the same nonetheless.

EDIT: Here is another form of energy intake, a solar panel, suggested by "TheEnderman".
    Solar_Panel.png

EDIT #2: Also, if you want to be an absolute powerhouse, you can take the Nuclear Power Plants as an option:
    Nuclear_Power_Plant.png

But these plants don't run themselves. No. They require an avid Uranium production. Meet: The Uranium Mine.
    Uranium_Mine.png

EDIT #3: Aaaand here's what -I- think a fusion reactor should look like. (Of course everything I think is awesome so it shouldn't matter)
    Fusion_Reactor.png

EDIT #4: I was asked to do a coal energy generator, but I felt that that wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing enough. So here you go, a needlessly complicated coal energy generator:
    Needlessly_Complicated_Coal_Energy_Generator.png

So, that's my idea, I'm glad that you took your time to read through it all, and I hope for some feedback on what you think is good or what isn't.

Sincerely, your lord and peer, Demonlord Hatty.

2. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

Yes. The fact that electronics in games can be activated without any actual power bothered me. I'll need to put some solar panels on my roof.

Got my support.

Heartstrings and AtomicCat like this.
  3. DemonlordHatty

Oh my gosh, thanks much. I was waiting for someone to put ideas into my mind! Solar panels, genius. I'll get right on it.

4. DemonlordHatty

Solar Panel has been added as an option.

5. GlobularDuke

GlobularDuke Phantasmal Quasar

A nuclear Reactor will be needed...

Alpha_Squad likes this.
  6. DemonlordHatty

Here come the non-eco-friendly folks! :p I'll see. Nuclear reactors do require some sort of Uranium facility, however. I'll look to what I can do.

7. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

For more advanced types we can use nuclear fision and fusion reactors as well. For even better than that there is anti-matter generators and potentially a perpetual motion generator too. For cheaper 'environmentally' friendly options there is always a hydrogen fuel cells too.

8. The Albatross

The Albatross Master Chief

I've always been bothered by the fact that energy comes from the ground, magical wells and shooting stars and not HUGE NUCLEAR REACTORS.

Alpha_Squad likes this.
  9. Mercury Gilado

Mercury Gilado Existential Complex

Geothermal energy? Because I want to build an underwater city next to a trench, and that's the best bet. Maybe there are trench slugs on some planet.

10. GalacticRooster

GalacticRooster Big Damn Hero

This makes me think of all the possibilities of destroying an ecosystem...
    Someone make a thread about that!

Heartstrings likes this.
  11. DemonlordHatty

These are all such amazing ideas! Thanks to all of you that replied, I can't believe how good of feedback this thread has gotten. The last thing I will be designing for now is the nuclear reactor. In case this gets chosen to be applied to the game, I don't want to take all the fun of spriting away from the Devs. :p
    EDIT: You know what? Nevermind that. I'll make a few more things, but not today.

12. DemonlordHatty

Nuclear energy has been added to the list! Feel free to check it out! :)

The Albatross likes this.
  13. The Albatross

The Albatross Master Chief

That is amazing

14. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

T.T nuclear power plants don't give off dangerous gases 8P. They emit steam, what makes them dangerous is a) nuclear meltdowns and b) nuclear waste (which is depleted uranium bars).

15. DemonlordHatty

Just imagine that the fumes are nuclear waste. :p Who says we have to be 100% realistic?

16. DemonlordHatty

Does anyone have anymore ideas I could add?

17. GlobularDuke

GlobularDuke Phantasmal Quasar

maybe a dam that makes power?

18. DemonlordHatty

Huh.... Have you played Anno?

19. StarMetal25

StarMetal25 Phantasmal Quasar

A nuclear power plant? Seriously? Why not Nucler Fusion? Come on guys, this is the future.

20. DemonlordHatty

Well, I don't exactly know what that's supposed to look like, so please show me, and I'll add it to the list.