1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Early Game Advice Thread (Please Contribute)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Deotay, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Deotay

Deotay Cosmic Narwhal

I see that a lot of people are having a ton of trouble with the early game and while it is a bit difficult I made it through relatively smoothly and I've noticed a lot of others have as well. Unfortunately there's been this weird elitist mindset among those that have made it past the early game and I've been seeing an awful lot of "l2p nub, lol" comments. Not exactly the most helpful advice I've seen.

I'm just going to go over some tips that helped me and I implore anyone and everyone to comment as well and offer your own advice. Ideally, if the community pools its ideas together, we can make the early game far more enjoyable for everyone rather than nerfing the game and blaming the devs.

1.) Make a house and farm as quickly as possible.

If you don't want to lose your Pixels, you're gonna need shelter from the things that go bump in the night. And I suggest just making it a very minimalist design. No need to get fancy, just a simple wooden box with doors and a small plot of land for your seeds. Remember to harvest your crops regularly too.

2.) Go for as many containers as you can.

The containers give an enormous amount of money and they're definitely worth the time and effort to search out and loot. This is the fastest way I've been able to accumulate Pixels.

3.) Search the surface of the planet first.

There's a lot of resources right on the surface that are really easy to get. I got my first set of copper armor really quickly just walking around during the daytime.

4.) Collect ALL the dirt.

Dirt has literally been my best friend. It's so easy to get rid of and using it freely as a platform during caving makes it so much easier. Don't be afraid to use too much of it either, make your platforms long so you're nearly guaranteed not to fall. The slightly loose controls make it a bit easier to fall to your death, and using a couple extra pieces of dirt is definitely worth it.

5.) When caving, bring a bed and crafting stations.

So far I haven't found a proper way to restore health. So I just keep a bed in my inventory and whenever I get low on health. All I have to do is wall myself in (with my ever trusty dirt) and place down a bed and wait a minute or two to heal up. The crafting stations are for when you find a massive cave network and you're in it for the long haul. Being able to upgrade your gear on the spot can be a god send at some points.

6.) Get the Iron Hunting Bow as quickly as you can.

The bow's damage is really, really good and makes short work of almost anything. Just pick your battles wisely and make sure you have a good vantage point to shoot from. After all, it's still a bow.

That's about all that I can think of at the moment. Please contribute anything that's helped you in the early game.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. hunvagy

hunvagy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

• If you feel your gear is not adequate enough or you don't like the planet, fell some trees pack up and fly to the next low threat place. Generally, explore more then just one planet.
    • Make a yarn spinner for fabric, then use fabric for bandages. Cheap and faster then the bed. Plus you heal on the spot
    • Make a cooking table. Prepared food feeds you more then meat.

Doc Honcho and Deotay like this.
  3. Ollobrains

Ollobrains Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wood and coal can be converted into spaceship fuel ( not found anything else) maybe being carbon based plant material maybe
    U can upgrade youre stone pickaxe to copper ( 3 times faster)
    Iron Beds heal faster than wood

4. Ollobrains

Ollobrains Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Applying an axe to a tree rather than the matter device means u can cut half the tree down rather than the lot and it grows back

5. hunvagy

Dang, forgot from the first list:

• Use ctrl and mouse to look around. Very handy to see what lies ahead. Then press ctrl again to center the view. If you find the all seeing eye cape, the range extends
    • Break the background when in the first strata (the outside shines through) for cheap light and to drain water. Cannot be done further below
    • Put weapons/shields into L/R slots instead of hotkey slots. Stick to your favorite implement in hotkey, when in combat use X to quickly swap to L/R slot and ready to fight. I personally have the flashlight in R, as it auto-equips if your selected hotkey item is one handed.

6. LadyKianna

LadyKianna Big Damn Hero

For restoring health on the go.
    Plant fiber -> Fabric -> Bandages. You get a regen effect.

foreck likes this.
  7. Sariaz

Sariaz Subatomic Cosmonaut

If you break the back walling of a cave (not possible at certain depths. one by use right instead of left mouse button) it will let in daylight for easy conservation of torches. Also being underground seams to cut down on the loss of heat.

8. Kikecasti

Kikecasti Void-Bound Voyager

Maye sure you have towers or things like that in your first base, where you can shoot arrows from, you will thank me later ;)

PSS likes this.
  9. Sukuna

Sukuna Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Push L, and read the "Control Yourself" book.

(Too embarrassed to say that I wish someone would have told me that when I first started the game) :facepalm:

10. Dragonchampion

Dragonchampion Subatomic Cosmonaut

You can place items such as chests, anvils, and furnaces on your ship, instead of having to rely on a single planet as a home base.

jerry247 and Nightmares like this.
  11. JamesTheStrange

JamesTheStrange Aquatic Astronaut

You can loot NPC stands from the mobs - kill everything. Get vendors.

12. Sariaz

Sariaz Subatomic Cosmonaut

What do you mean by npc stands? Also is this any mob your talking about or just people in villages or what?

13. JamesTheStrange

JamesTheStrange Aquatic Astronaut

A thread or two over someone looted a little sign that he put on his ship - came back later, stand is des pawned and there's a doctor selling stims

14. Calvinbah

Calvinbah Orbital Explorer

It's my playthrough notice that the most adorable creatures on any planet are the ones who are the most aggressive. I had some Green Cactus looking dudes who wandered around near my spawn points, they did nothing to me and I enjoyed looking at them.

Also met once of the Giant Poo golems, pretty friendly but the tiny ones are the bastards.

15. MrSandman

MrSandman Yeah, You!

1)Either weapon damage is incorrectly displayed, or armor penetration is much more important than actual weapon damage. Upgrade weapons as soon as you can and you will be able to one shot level 4 monsters.
    2) Armor drastically reduces damage done to you. Full silver armor means you get 1-3 damage from 1-5 level creatures.
    3) Make sure to get full silver armor before activating distress beacon, have at least 50 bandages on you just in case.
    4) When you get hit with something your character takes damage and becomes invincible for about a second. Use this time to your advantage.
    5) To repair your pickaxe open your inventory click on copper ore (any ore would do for any pickaxe) and rightclick one the pickaxe while holding the ore couple of times. Your pickaxe will be good as new.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  16. Necrolance

Necrolance Void-Bound Voyager

From what I've learned so far, armor penetration = The threat level at which your weapon will do its normal damage. If it's higher than your current threat level planet, you're gonna do a lot of damage.

17. crusender

crusender Space Penguin Leader

1. Weapon penetration is lv of the weapon, hitting same lv of weapon do dmg display, on lower lv monster it raise dmg, and other way for highter lv monsters do less dmg.
    2. Armor stats is round up whit the 3 pieces for give your armor lv, who give around 20 dmg on you from monsters same lv has you, lower lv monster they do less, highter lv monster will dmg you a lot (instant kill if they are to high for your armor)
    3. for first boss have lv 10 set armor and weapon (having a gun make it lot easier)
    4. watch out at night has monsters lv raise around 3 lv
    5. a good tips but dangerous a same time, the sand is like water, when you mine it, it fall, if mineral inside, it will mine it for you (stay in falling path for gather it), but watch out has sand can fall it a pit, you going whit it, then die from fall dmg.

18. StallChaser

StallChaser Space Penguin Leader

It seems your character's armor works the same way. The overall armor is the average of the pieces. Silver = 10, so lv 10 enemies do normal damage against you if you're wearing that set.

If you go to options > zoom level, you can set it to the minimum and see a lot farther.

19. qwasder

qwasder Space Hobo

Can I restart certain tutorial-quests? I wasn't able to finish the stone furnace quest because I already had one at the time and the quest wouldn't finish, so I canceled it.

20. hunvagy

Don't think you can, but next time just pick up your furnace you placed. The quest only checks whether you picked up a furnace or not, so it'll complete the quest. Tbh though, the only thing the quests give is a few pixels here and there, you can still craft all the stuff they describe, and get the beacon without it.

21. Bahzur

Bahzur Void-Bound Voyager

Dont finish the quest "First Contact" early and if you did, dont use the distress beacon. Nothing more than a waste early in the game...