Boss Dungeon Boss Rooms and Bosses: A Community Driven Suggestion

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Daitenshi, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

Alright everyone, this suggestion will be slightly different. I believe this is planned but before it is implemented I would like to have a chance for the community to help guide where it could go. This will require more participation from everyone than other suggestions and more work on my part, but I hope we can work it out! This community is awesome, and I love the creativity of all of its members. Like usual, don't be discouraged if a suggestion you make isn't taken seriously. Think about it the best you can and work it out. My goal here is to have a list of dedicated boss room ideas with their corresponding bosses. We love you Chucklefish and This community thanks you for your hard work! Without further ado:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Description:

I feel, as of right now, dungeons just aren't exciting to explore. They aren't rewarding enough or give you much thrill exploring them. One of the major issues I see is that there is no finite "End" to the dungeons. They end when you're done exploring them. What is the point of exploring a dungeon? Mediocre gear and a few hundred pixels worth of deaths? That isn't worth it to me. I believe having a Boss room at the "End" of the dungeon with a boss chest for killing it will make exploring dungeons far more worthwhile.

Having Dedicated boss rooms which spawn with the dungeon generation will allow them to be tailored to fit perfectly with the boss they spawn. To clarify, we will have a selection of rooms that could spawn during dungeon generation. Each room will be an arena specifically designed for the boss it spawns. This way, the rooms can be balanced and changed so fighting that boss is fun and challenging. This is also dependent on the implementation of a "Dungeon Block Protection" Object. Which could be in the treasure room after the boss. Having that implemented will prevent players from totally "Cheesing" the bosses.

This is where you guys come in. I have my own ideas but I would like to hear from the community. I need the community to submit ideas to this thread following the format posted below in the spoiler. The end-goal is to have a well thought out dungeon boss and corresponding room for each type of dungeon per tier. I'd prefer it if people limited themselves to one suggestion until either it is discarded or discussed and added. That prevents clogging. I will (in a spoiler at the top of this post) Have the boss currently being discussed and bosses next in line for discussion. This, hopefully, will focus the conversation so 1,000 discussions don't go on at once. Please Please PLEASE only discuss the boss that is currently being discussed. If we aren't discussing yours we will get to it in order of posting. When discussing the boss at hand, state it's name and author before discussing it for organizational reasons.

Alright, Enough Ranting from me! Here's the Format partially stolen from This post.

Think of all of your favorite metroid-vania bosses and what mechanics and fights you loved. Remember, each boss will have a room tailored to fit and work with it's mechanics. So get crazy!
    Boss Name:
    Think of a cool or crazy name for your boss!

Drops/Loot:
    What items, buffs or materials the Boss drops or gives when slain or while changing forms
    How many?
    What do they do?

Environment/Habitat:
    What dungeon could it spawn in?

Stats:
    List everything you want players to know. Essentially an estimate of stats and info important to the boss.

Movement:
    Explain how the Boss moves; how does the Boss get around?
    Does it crawl?
    Does it walk?
    Does it roll?
    Does it fly?
    Does it propel its self with gas?

Attacks/Damage:
    How does the Boss deal damage to the player. This can easily be defined as either “Ranged”or “Melee”
    How much Damage does the player receive per attack?
    Does the Boss have special Abilities? If so how often can it use it/them?
    Do the Bosses attacks grant debuffs?
    What does the Bosses attacks look like?
    How often can the Boss attack?
    Does it have different forms? If so What Happens differently in them?
    Does it spawn smaller Boss-Themed Mobs? If so what do they do?

Picture:
    This isn't necessary, but would be nice to have.
    Boss Room Design:
    This is important! It will help decide the flow of battle. Get creative!

[​IMG]

Finalized Bosses:

Per usual thanks for reading! Thanks your suggestion and please keep it clean and productive!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    RomadE, Kamikamyu and CalamityQuote like this.
  2. Cerufel

Cerufel Industrial Terraformer

I like your idea but am rather confused about the photos. Do they have something to do with the topic? (I may be missing something as I have just got home from a long day at work).

... though I now feeling like naming a trio of Floran: Purple Loosestrife, Bee Balm, and Echinacea... (Strife, Balm and Cea for short) >_>

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  3. BuckshotJim

BuckshotJim Tentacle Wrangler

I'm assuming the photos are just place holders.

4. Daitenshi

It looks like an error with the hosting site. Your confusion is warrented.

5. RampantHobo

RampantHobo Space Hobo

Boss Name:
    Willogre (Willow + Ogre)

Drops/Loot:
    Rare Drops: Random chance of one of the following, plus a random amount of titanium ore,
    Willow Sapling: A small tree that' is carried on the back slot. Provides faster healing when undamaged for 20 seconds.
    Whipper Willow: A two-handed whip weapon with a poison debuff, alternate fire is a grappling hook.
    Willogre Bud: A tiny, cuter, but passive Willogre for a pet. If fed a Meat Chunk it gets a little bigger and attacks nearby monsters.

Willogre Clawroot: A special blueprint that tells you how to craft one of the previously mentioned items.

Will always drop a Willogre Seed, which will allow you to respawn the Willogre within its lair.

Environment/Habitat:
    Floran Prisons, possibly penal colonies or sewers of the Gamma sector.

Stats:100 HP: Buds- Spawned during an attack.
    1500 HP: Willogre. Should make a decent challenge after the Robot or a warm-up to the Dragon.

Movement:
    The Willogre lumbers (haha) slowly across the floor, but is capable of pouncing between platforms or slingshotting itself across the room with its attacks.

Attacks/Damage: I've never paid too much attention to the damage system, so bear with me.
    Melee: Self-explanitory
    Whip Swipe: Whips a nearby player with one arm, can be blocked or dodged and has a short (0.5-1second) 'tell'. Least damage
    Whip Double-Swipe: A one-two punch after a short (2 second) charge animation, can be dodged by jumping to a higher or lower platform. The first swipe is like the above attack, but the second one hits harder with a lot of knockback.
    Thorn Rage: Thorny spikes radiate out of the Willogre, inflicting damage on either side with a short poison debuff.

Ranged Melee: Attacks with its body; mobility+attack.
    Willow Slingshot: Shoots arm-vines at a corner of the room (harmless), and then slingshots into that corner while 'morph-balling', inflicting greater damage.
    Willogre Dash: The Willogre
    Willogre Smash: Stomps once, then runs across the current platform at high speed. If it hits a player it inflicts massive damage, but if it hits a wall then it gets stuck for 3 seconds (allowing players to inflict massive damage).

Ranged: These attacks start after the first 250 HP of the Willogres' health is depleted, and are to combat mobile PCs that hang out on other platforms.
    Willow-whisp: Throws a pair of glowy seeds onto the two platforms it isn't currently on. These hatch into Willogre Buds after a few seconds, and can be destroyed before they do so.
    Uproot: The Willogre lifts its arms and roars, and the top platform bursts into damaging vines from the outside edges in.
    Taproot: The Willogre stomps one of its feet/trunks, and the bottom platform sprouts damaging thorns.
    Backroot: The Willogre turns and punches the background in frustration, causing the middle platform to burst into thorns for a few seconds.

Mobs:
    Buds: Tiny, cuter Willogres that sprout from another attack. They pounce horizontally across the platform they've spawned on and occasionally spit a thorn that inflicts weak damage, once in a while it might try to do a Willogre attack and fail comically.

How does the Boss deal damage to the player. This can easily be defined as either “Ranged”or “Melee”
    How much Damage does the player receive per attack?
    Do the Bosses attacks grant debuffs?
    What does the Bosses attacks look like?
    How often can the Boss attack?
    Does it have different forms? If so What Happens differently in them?
    Does it spawn smaller Boss-Themed Mobs? If so what do they do?

Picture:
    I'm not artistically inclined. Basically, a massive (slightly bigger than the Robot) mix between a Rancor (Star Wars), and a willow tree, the arms are twisted whip-like willow branches. As it gets damaged, the leaves turn brown, red, and yellow.
    Boss Room Design:
    Going with the classic Megaman as a basis for boss rooms; the Bossroom is divided into three horizontal levels (floor, a middle, a near-ceiling platform) each a jump higher than the one below. Upon entering the room a dangerous-looking Floran (Or human, Or Poo Monster) Willogre Tamer stands in front of a background door and cracks a whip, then the door bursts open (killing the Willogre-Tamer) and the beast lets out a leafy roar.

CalamityQuote and Daitenshi like this.
  6. Daitenshi

Hey! There we go! Have a taker finally. You get the first spot in the discussion section there.

RampantHobo likes this.