Dual-wield special attack suggestion

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Gemini, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Gemini

Gemini Subatomic Cosmonaut

I came upon the thought that since I read there was a left and right click weapon, it would be neat if there were some special effects for wielding two weapons of certain types and either holding/clicking both mouse buttons, or pressing a keyboard button. The only problem with this I can think of is that giving certain weapon combos a special attack could make it easy to make certain combos become over-powered, though it could also be given a "cool down" depending on the strength of the ability. I have no idea if this is already planned or what-not, but if it isn't, below are some examples of effects I'm thinking of, if it is planned already, below are some suggestion on effects.

Dual-shields: I don't know the limitations on shields, but I imagine a larger shield appearing in front of the character and either blocking a more heavy attack more effectively, or bashing an enemy to perhaps produce a nice knock-back effect.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dual-pistols: I assume that since they're pistols, they're single shots per click, so I imagine their effect being a dual rapid fire of 4 or 6, or 2 or 3 is two opposite directions. Alternatively as a special effect, the character could just take a straight standing pose while the buttons are being clicked in an alternating pattern.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Two-handed melee: Since two handed weapons are limited to one being equipped in both hands, in Terraria it was often the case weapons would be swung from the top down, I'm thinking that it could be a stabbing, straight attack for swinging weapons, and perhaps if there is a stabbing weapon, a swinging attack with a high knock-back and low damage.
    Melee+shield: I imagine that if there were a effect for this, it would be something silly like attaching the shield to the end of the weapon for a single attack and creating a high knock-back, low damage attack.
    Two-handed range(?): I have no idea if there will be two-handed ranged weaponry, but I assume that the bazooka and whatever other larger ranged weapons there are will be two-handed. Perhaps the effect would be either slower firing rate but heavier damage, or lighter damage but higher firing rate.

And so to sum up the suggestion, clicking both mouse buttons would produce either a visual effect or actual combative effect depending on the weapons being wielded and generally either be a trade off of power, or a simple boost limited by a cool-down. And again, in the case that this was considered already, then the above are suggestions on the effects of weapon type combos.

2. KKslida

KKslida Big Damn Hero

I help you off to get started...I think this is a great idea! I mean, Have a sheild or item in one hand and hold a weapon in the other. Also, there could always be items/weapons that require you to use both hands. (ex: bazooka) :p

3. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

This would definitely be a good addition to the game.

4. Kamoda

Kamoda Sandwich Man

I remember something like this from a game where you could have two pistols and use them as that, or combine them into one stronger weapon. It made no sense but it was a novel idea.

5. MentalBlanc

MentalBlanc Subatomic Cosmonaut

This would be really awesome, because then we could have two-handed weapons, that have a strong attack/abilities but a large weight or slow attack speed.

6. Coolstuff206

Coolstuff206 Void-Bound Voyager

This is definitely a good idea! This gives players the initiative to think about what weapons they should use, both if they are using two handed weapons, or dual wielding! This shouldn't be too hard to code depending on how hard the regular attacks were. So this could be plausible! Once again great idea!!