1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Dream of Village Building in Starbound.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by r31ya, Mar 25, 2015.

1. r31ya

r31ya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Playing this game i realize i have a habit on building a Village.
    Village as in several houses with farms and citizens. I could build various type of race building and Glitch castle and avian construct block helped a great deal as it have large gates and various street lamps/ornaments

But the main problem is the citizen. While the Guard updates which gives them ability to shoot birds is very helpful. But the problem is unlike Terraria, I cannot assign rooms/houses for the "citizen". They wander around is fine, but the wander out of the protected territory and either fell from cliff or die as they met dangerous animals. Hopefully this will be part of the updates where it would help this particular hobby.

---

Any other village builder out-here? Any particular preference on the village construct or tips on building one?

2. Artay001

Artay001 Pangalactic Porcupine

My big post-endgame plan is to travel and populate. I don't really prefer any one race over another. I, too, am looking forward to colonizing having actual impacts on gameplay. It's been a minute since I actually settled down to do so, but in regards to wandering villagers, I use a fence at the ends of town high enough that only someone with double jump can get over.

r31ya likes this.
  3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

One of the future plans is to allow you to "rent" houses to npcs, as a form of income.
    Though this is only a plan mind you

Artay001, Felson and PabloElPuas like this.
  4. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

TrueEdge, intergalactic constructor of cities and villages at your service!
    The next patch features "smart" NPCs that will follow defined pathways to prevent them from wandering out and exploring the world.
    My quick fix to this is to wire doors to switches that can only be used by people.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/trueedges-building-i-built-these.79976/
    Here's a really old picture featuring a large glitch door wired to a sewer valve.
    library.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  5. Zair

Zair Scruffy Nerf-Herder

An NPC that is 'leashed' to a certain maximum distance from where it spawned would probably also work.

Actually, this has given me some thoughts - can NPC AI actually tell where background tiles exist / don't exist? If so, a villager AI could be programmed to either not go anywhere that doesn't have tile, or just not pass a boundary made of a certain type of tile, things like that...

6. 1nfinitezer0

1nfinitezer0 Cosmic Narwhal

In my experience so far the NPCs will stay relatively close to where you spawn them from unless they get stuck. I'm more annoyed that I have to kill guards if I've accidentally angered them.

7. PabloElPuas

PabloElPuas Pangalactic Porcupine

It does not hurt to even be able to form villages and raising money for the town to grow and be able to earn more money

8. Suralin

Suralin Subatomic Cosmonaut

My villages are almost always subterranean, specifically to avoid having everyone wander off. That, and I guess I've always been taken by the Hobbit-holes of yore. :)

PabloElPuas likes this.
  9. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Building villages you can populate is part of our plans :) it's going to be a big part of end game

lannihamm, PabloElPuas, Zair and 2 others like this.
  10. r31ya

r31ya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Whoa, it's nice to have such a good response from the community and game developer.

Turns out many share my hobby on building Village and thanks for the gate-wire tips. It'll help greatly on leashing the NPC to the village ground.
    I also once try subterran village until a game crash deleted the save. It's very time consuming, even with super manipulator mod. But It looks freakin awesome though, one access on the top that leads long underground stairs to underground village complex.

The new "follow me" guards feature also help greatly on placing them, but if they could patrol in the leashed area it would be even better.

With the going to be implemented travel logs will help with multi-planet village network building.

If the rent function include with jobs Ai, it would be very awesome. we'll be able to create actual guard post with little house they can rest in and then carry on guarding the designated area. Hopefully developer add Stores NPC and in very hopeful mode a Farmer NPC.

11. Vandrick

Vandrick Phantasmal Quasar

I've been really hoping they eventually implement a more Sim aspect of city building. Being able to set patrol routs for guards, rent, import and export good for economy, increase town/village worth, even set up automated factories for certain things. Imagine being able to set up a glass workshop that makes windows and glass items, then exports them for cash. Even systems that can slowly work on crating blocks you desire for building.

And raids! The Monkeys will NOT take over my city!!!

PabloElPuas likes this.