Modding Help Did asset_packer syntax just change?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by sxlwa, Jan 28, 2015.

1. sxlwa

sxlwa Subatomic Cosmonaut

As of last SB update, none of my batch files (nor the packing guis) to pack mods are working....and they were yesterday....

I get the following:

Usage: asset_packer.exe [-i ignoreFile] [-s] [-d] <assets source name> <assets folder path> <output filename>

what is asset source name? Do I now specify the last folder separate from the path to it?

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

prodamn and AstralGhost like this.
  3. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

Update to which version? Nightly?
    I am on unstable and I noticed that an update a couple of nights ago deleted my batch files... I remade them and they still work with the old 'syntax', so I don't think they changed. So I assume you're using the nightly version or there was an update very late last night I don't know about.

Also, the tool mentioned above looks good. I'm going to use that from now on. :p

4. sxlwa

sxlwa Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am using windows, and the GUI packer/unpacker also fails with the same message (displays command syntax instead of processing any files).

I messed around a bit, and it does appear that (at least in the latest unstable build, haven't checked the stable that just pushed now) you need to specify an extra variable "assets source name" on the command line. It doesn't seem to have an effect on output, though....just needs a placeholder value in front of the file input and output values.

5. Sketch2347

Sketch2347 Phantasmal Quasar

when i use this program as i open it, and after i link the directory it says that neither asset_unpacker asset_packer exists in my win32 folder....It totally is there, and after installing the game again to make sure im starting fresh, i still get this message. Please help....

6. The | Suit

Sorry but I am not the tool author
    If you want support you will need to ask it in the tool discussion tab.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/asset-packaging-unpackaging-gui-frontend.67980/

The only thing I can say is it is perfectly working in Upbeat Giraffe as I have used it to unpack the latest stable.

7. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

guys.. go into the starbound win64/32 folder, hold shift and rightclick somewhere INSIDE the folder, in the dropdown menu hit option: open command prompt here
    (works on windows 8.1, dunno for earlier versions)

enter following line in the command prompt and hit enter, it will unpack, no % is being displayed but it unpacks!

Code:
    asset_unpacker.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\unpacked"
    you know once it's finished when you can enter stuff again

otherwise open a command prompt and enter:

Code:
    cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win64\
    or for 32bit

Code:
    cd C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\
    after enter the command line above to unpack

NOTE: in a command prompt CTRL+V doesn't work, rightclick - paste instead

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  8. AstralGhost

Fix'd that for you.
    If you're needing to run the 32 bit version it is because you have 32 bit Windows, which doesn't have "(x86)" on its Program Files folder since everything on 32-bit Windows is x86.

prodamn likes this.
  9. Olxinos

Olxinos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Same error here.
    If you still have issues with the packer, i suggest you to try this:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  10. AstralGhost

I didn't even realize the TC was talking only about the 'packer'. I thought everyone having the problem meant both.
    That is a little weird. We may have to just ask one of the Devs. :)

11. Olxinos

Yeah that's weird.
    Also, this new parameter (<assets source name>) doesn't even seem to change the output (i didn't check all of the bytes but still), well it's still usable but... well... weird.
    Oh, for Mac OS users, they finally solved the the dependency problem. The thing is that they also introduced another problem: they used this .sh file to solve the former:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh -e

cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./Starbound.app/Contents/MacOS/asset_unpacker $@

which is a good idea but cause the usage message to be spit out by the console in some cases; in fact quotes are missing around $@, it should be:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh -e

cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./Starbound.app/Contents/MacOS/asset_unpacker "$@"

(the arguments may not be properly copied if containing whitespaces)

12. slyram

slyram Orbital Explorer

Usage: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win64\asset_packer.exe [-i ignoreFile] [-s] [-d] <assets source name> <assets folder path> <output filename>
    ignoreFile expects a json map with a key containing a string list named: "global Ignore"
    If server mode is enabled with -s then ignoreFile must also contain a string list named "serverIgnore"
    If -d is given, pak will be generated with a digest that must match from server to clientExample: { "globalIgnore" : [ "/ignore_file.config", "some.*regex[here]" ], "serverIgnore" : ["/sfx/irrelevantmusic.ogg"] }
    Exact paths are assumed to start with a /, all other strings are treated as regex.

Everytime I input the command

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win64\asset_packer.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\test3" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\packedup.pak"

This error comes up. What is going on exactly? I can't even pack up my file immediately after unpacking it with

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win64\asset_unpacker.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\test3"

13. Olxinos

As said above, the packer now needs another string whose purpose is still dubious. Try adding some string as the first asset_packer argument, for instance:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win64\asset_packer.exe" 42 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\test3" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\packedup.pak"
    that's silly, but that should solve your problem (again, i don't have any clue of what this name should be, but i didn't see any change on the outcome, so... well i don't know)

14. GameOwl

GameOwl Void-Bound Voyager

I also was able to unpack as usual but when I wanted to pack it i tried:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win64\asset_packer.exe" "RANDOM" "C:\Users\Flauscheloni\Desktop\STB\ASSETS_UNPACKED\" "C:\Users\Flauscheloni\Desktop\STB\packed.pak"

it contains an unneccessary string and the proper arguments, yet it doesnt work either... (getting the same error as everyone here)

Please help, anyone?

15. Olxinos

That may be nothing, but i'd remove the finishing antislash in "C:\Users\Flauscheloni\Desktop\STB\ASSETS_UNPACKED\". Probably irrelevant, but...well no idea except that.

16. Skhmt

Skhmt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It took me a while but I just copied the packer and unpacker plus the dll they need (it'll tell you which one lol) directly into the assets folder, then opened a cmd and ran it there without needing long paths and such. It worked on the first try.

17. Olxinos

You can also do it without moving/copying the packers, but with the cd command to change the working directory.
    In general, if you have to write "[somepath]\x.exe [somepath]\y [somepath]\z"
    you can use "cd [somepath]" beforehand, and you'll only have to write "x.exe y z" (cd changes the working directory)
    Well the command name may not be cd, in which case it is probably changedir (or maybe both works, i'll bet on this), cd is the name of the command on unix-like systems, but it's a common command.

18. Skhmt

Skhmt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah I tried that. I've been using the command line for 20 years or so. Sometimes it's easier to click and drag.

19. The | Suit

That name tag - adds the name to starting screen of the game
    Image from Astralator [skyrailsits]

[​IMG]

AstralGhost and Olxinos like this.
  20. GameOwl

GameOwl Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks @ Skhmt and Olxinos!
    I got it to pack again.

Just copy asset_packer.exe and the .dll into the folder where the folder that has to be packed is and use cd <path of folder containing exe>
    That gives you somewhat shorter code when using only
    asset_packer.exe <name or random string> <name of folder to be packed> <desired output name>

No idea why it works then but not with the long paths but hey it works after all :)

Nevertheless my packed.pak file is not accepted by the app. It is notably smaller, some 10MB or so although i just changed values in miningtools. I know you shouldnt replace the whole pak anyways so i got into proper patching :D