1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Detailed Ship Size Comparison

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Varixai, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Using Photoshop's histogram pixel count, I counted the number of pixels in each ship's usable space (not counting doors or the cockpit area). Each block ingame is 8x8 pixels, 64 pixels total area for 1 block.

[​IMG]

I immediately noticed that most of the ships are very close in size, except the Florans have a lot more space and the Hylotl have a lot less. This intrigued me, so I decided to dig further and ended up with a chart, several tables of data, and ship images labeled with room sizes. (and a few small bugs found)

(imgur album)

[​IMG]

Number of rooms in each ship, in each size:
    [​IMG]

Full Data:
    [​IMG]

(imgur album)

Floran - 4,013 Blocks
    [​IMG]
    Avian - 3,762 Blocks
    [​IMG]

Novakid - 3,760 Blocks
    [​IMG]
    ^ Note: there is a (presumed) bug in the middle room, it is 1 pixel too tall.

Human - 3,752 Blocks
    [​IMG]

Glitch 3,735 Blocks
    [​IMG]

Apex - 3,730 Blocks
    [​IMG]
    ^ (presumed) small bug of a few errant pixels (the 2 arrows)

Hylotl - 3,450 Blocks
    [​IMG]

Edit: Should I take those out of spoiler tags so you can see larger previews?
    Edit2: Didn't see that this had been done before in a similar fashion, oh well.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  2. CmereSweetHeart

CmereSweetHeart Subatomic Cosmonaut

Like always

floran master race

Except it did cost a crapton of plantmatterstone to fill my ship with

I had to raid so many floran prisons

3. Darkarma

Darkarma Phantasmal Quasar

Agreed, I completely erased two of them to get enough for my custom 'infested' USCM capitalship

FakeGeekGamerGirl likes this.
  4. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Huh, so the Glitch ship does have the single largest room of any ship. It's also one of only four ships with rooms that have more than 580 blocks in a single room, and it's one of only two ships that does not have a 580-size room (the other being the Hylotl ship.)

5. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

The floran ship got that weird greenhouse for photosynthesis, it looks more aesthetic than practical for me

6. Nerva

For a race that is capable of photosynthesis and whose technology largely consists of advanced horticulture, it's quite practical.

TrueEdge likes this.
  7. Nibolas O Anelbozas

I mean in game.

8. Nerva

It's spaced almost perfectly for someone to grow a small shipboard farm, and it's situated directly above two large rooms that are excellent for storage, as well as a long room that would be appropriate for crafting stations, or perhaps a kitchen. I'd personally remove one of the doors to give it more unbroken floor space, but you could fix that by walling off one of the exits.

If you're looking for something impractical about the Floran ship, look at those 4- and 8-block-wide doorways. Good grief.

Nibolas O Anelbozas likes this.
  9. Nibolas O Anelbozas

putting this way i guess you are right, it's just because i don't do farms since there are no hunger anymore.

10. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

I don't care about size as long as it's mostly symetrical... I'll stick to my Avians :p

11. Darkarma

Darkarma Phantasmal Quasar

Those are canon ships.. they are lacking... this is my ship and only 1/3rd done
    [​IMG]

Jackie2581, neil_v, Jerln and 3 others like this.
  12. CmereSweetHeart

CmereSweetHeart Subatomic Cosmonaut

your ship looks like it could break down anytime it goes in light-speed

L. F. Oxidizer likes this.
  13. DivineMalevolence

DivineMalevolence Big Damn Hero

Floran ssship not large.
    Mossst actually other ssship. Come to join Floran after disssplay of might. Of courssse fleet larger than sssingle ssship.

14. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Very nice, original design and even contains some of the things I envision for my own ships. Too many people end up creating custom ships just to make them the same kind of rectangular ugly kinds as the vanilla ships.

15. Slywyn

Slywyn Existential Complex

Why, though? It's not like gravity would be yanking on the pieces. Far enough away from the gravity well of the planet there wouldn't be anything pulling it apart based on acceleration.

16. Nerva

Keep in mind that you have to deal with not only planetary gravity wells, but solar gravity wells too. In order to orbit a planet, you have to expose yourself to both. Thus, it would expose itself to shearing forces. Unless, of course, this ship utilizes warped spacetime and gravity alteration to move, allowing it to 'slide' from point to point without any actual acceleration or exposure to gravity.

Of course, this is only if you care about realism. If you don't feel free to ignore this. I will say it's quite pretty, and I like the enormous tree on the dorsal hull.

17. Slywyn

Slywyn Existential Complex

But the amount of force felt at those distances really won't matter that much. You'd be so far away from the 'center' of such a force(Since I doubt you'd be trying to land a ship like that on any planets) that it won't have very much interaction at all with the ship itself.

18. Stalkish Cockatiel

Stalkish Cockatiel Existential Complex

It also looks as if inertia would rip it apart if you were to launch at light speed. Glass walls and rusty metal does not bide well with the structure of the ship.

19. Skhmt

Skhmt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

We don't know how ftl works in starbound. But there is a long running trope in scifi called inertial dampeners which ... Dampen inertia. Probably related to artificial gravity.

We do however have flying castles, flying boats, flying trains, flying pyramids, and a flying ship made from the remains of other ships and also includes a green house. Pretty much anything seems possible to make into a space ship.

20. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Dude, space is boring (despite the marvelous sight), it got no sound :( the fantasy side of it is way more fun