1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Death Penalty in the Nightly Builds

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DaJoe85, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

How many times do we have to say it? It's not that we hate challenge, it's that we hate being forced to lose progression by large amounts of time simply because we didn't think ahead. Look at the Extra Credits video, namely where they talk about iteration time and how forcing the players to go through the same thing again because they screwed up isn't testing their skill, it's simply testing their memory and patience and are the qualities of a punishing game, not a difficult one. If difficult games didn't sell well, the Souls series would have never been so huge, but it is, because Miyazaki knew that it was never about difficulty, the difficulty just sorta happened and people loved it.

krylo and Hatsya Souji like this.
  2. blazblu

blazblu Orbital Explorer

Instead of dropping ore, why not lose durability in equipment instead? You'll still lose some resources in repairing the equipment. Basically, the lower the durability becomes, the weaker the equipment becomes damage/defense wise until repaired. If a toon dies enough times, the equipment breaks and must be re-made or replaced.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  3. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

The problem with that is several-fold. Figuring out the proper rate of equipment durability loss, how much materials are needed to repair something to full, and making sure planets have enough spare ores on hand. Frankly, I never liked the durability loss on death, it never made a lick of sense. If my character keeps getting beaten up but heals himself enough to last fifty battles and his gear is just fine after so many hits, then how is it that getting killed by two mobs forcing me into a corner can somehow magically damage my weapons and armor? The other route is to make it so armor and weapons degrade with use, but most games that do that, such System Shock 2, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3 (New Vegas gets a free pass due to the hilariously OP Jury Rigging perk), and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl tend to have those cited as hated mechanics.

Besides, we have a Matter Manipulator, we could just assume that our characters would use it on the dents and such to put it back into shape, as it's returning the armor/weapon to it's original state. Dark Souls had stuff degrade over time, but aside from the Acid Cloud Pyromancy and those creatures in Lost Izalith, it was very easy to keep your stuff fully repaired at each bonfire.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  4. Mcwolferton

Mcwolferton Void-Bound Voyager

My only problem with dropping ore when dying is that fact that it despawns so fast. I died just a few hills away from my warp point and they were gone when I got there. A longer grace period would be nice and give us a possible chance to get out stuff back.

Regardless, it's relatively easy to farm a lot of wood. And now that the cost of things has reduced, it's very easy to make checkpoint bases with crafting table, crates, beds, doors, campfires, and furnaces for storing all the ores. You might even leave some ore in there for repairing a pick later or something.

Untrustedlife and Hatsya Souji like this.
  5. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

why add challenge when people who want it have 2 other gamemodes to play

and in minecraft they added a way to make it so you dont loose your stuff when you die

besides minecraft is a bad example, i took almost NO RISKS in that game becouse of that shit =p

all i did was just rush in with an blank invitory and punch things, its 100% better then risking everything you got

that and it was always that way, it wasnt added in in random update

the common quote in for this topic is

"DONT FIX WHAT ISNT BROKEN"

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    Hatsya Souji likes this.
  6. Jexel

Jexel Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe they should add some sort of experience system where you lose some experience when you die. If you gained experience by fighting enemies then this would encourage exploration to find more dangerous mobs.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  7. AltyBagU

AltyBagU Space Hobo

What about disconnecting and rejoining? I was able to exploit that little trick not only going back to my ship but not losing my pixels while I'm at it.

8. Untrustedlife

Untrustedlife Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That is an exploit
    Some people want challenge but don't want to lose all their stuff so the whole (2 other game modes) argument is null and void.

Boshed and Hatsya Souji like this.
  9. Untrustedlife

Not everyone, just three or 4 very loud forumers.Most people just don't want the ore despawning.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, if they'd fix travel and give us some method of teleportation or something like Terraria has, then maybe people wouldn't be using Death as an Express Elevator.

And besides, why use Death at all when you can Save&Exit? Or did they disable that too?

Dropping Ore, I can understand that because of the Refinery....

But why Ingots? You can't refine Ingots into Pixels last I checked, can you? So why drop the Ingots? I'd have to say this is a horrible idea. Yes, death should mean something, but erasing the fruits of your labor since the last time you left your ship is just ridiculous. Then you're left with no ore on your person, and the ore you mined is gone too. Too Many Deaths = Permanently Stuck on the Planet because you mined all the ore, but died too many times and the ore disappeared into thin air.

yclatious and Untrustedlife like this.
  11. AltyBagU

AltyBagU Space Hobo

If you spent that much time mining and dying all the time then I think it's time to rethink on how you play the game lol. One good trick to use to not to die is block you'reself off with dirt if things get crazy... that saved me countless times or make sure to have plenty of tourches to light the way so you can see the enemy and avoid them. Also a neat trick is to jump and place dirt under yourself to make going back up much much easier :)

Overall they are testing out what penalties work and what does not so it's not wrong of them to give this a shot, if it makes the game way to hard for most people then they should make an easy mode but with drawbacks of its own like maybe hindering some storylines or something along those lines to make people want to play on hard mode ( a goal :3 )

Untrustedlife likes this.
  12. If they make anything easier it should be labeled as "Easy". This is clearly how they envisioned the game being, so to label a no-consequences version as "normal" is just silly to me.

13. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I'd be fine with the measure so long as some tweaks are made to make it fair and possible to bounce back. Mainly, only include raw ore, do not include coal(too vital), and make it possible to get back, even if you fall to the bottom of the screen. (No change to losing pixels though, that's fine)

Cause face it, there are some deaths in this game that will take you by surprise. And there will be less grousing about it on the forums as long as the player has some ability to recover from those deaths.

As long as we're making wild gaming comparisons: Even Dark Souls has their puddle o' blood. Let's take that mechanic and work with it.

Hell, here's a suggestion: Make it less a "Spray stuff everywhere!" death, which has the issue of dissappearing if you have to mine your way back, and more of a cache drop containing the affected items.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
    TheUnartist and Hatsya Souji like this.
  14. AltyBagU

AltyBagU Space Hobo

Like a backpack and if you're going to play a high risk game then you should be able to get high reward for doing so.

Untrustedlife and TheUnartist like this.
  15. Untrustedlife

That is a neat idea, it would also make the game more interesting for permadeath (finding that backpack of your last char on a planet)

TheUnartist likes this.
  16. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

it does not
    stop being so rude
    just cus becouse your a "hardcore" player doent mean everyone is
    you dont need to ruin the game for ~80% of the players with this horid idea
    that fact that so meny of these topics exist is becouse tons of people hate it

sure you have a way to play the game harder (YOU ALWAYS DID)
    but now NO ONE can play the game easyer

im suprised how much i have to hammer this into you
    why dont you get it silly lol

this would honestly ruin the game for me and more then 80% of the player base

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  17. Untrustedlife

How am I being rude? Just because i disagree with you? I didn't insult you or anyone else and i don't mean to come off as "rude".

This topic is more about IMPROVING the penalty, they dont hate it, they just want it to be made better, like ore not despawning. They dont all agree with you that it should be totally removed, more like replaced, if the suggestions above are any note as to peoples opinions.
    In fact there is a quite the good discussion going on above, many of them are good. Suggestions, the backpack/cache that gets filled with ore/your stuff , for example, or a new "easy mode" for fellas like you. Or the teleporter, all good perhaps you should consider them.

Not sure which idea fits with the devs goal , but I'm hoping we get some feedback from a dev on those ideas....

The backpack is probably closer to what the devs are envisioning (and my personal favorite

, perhaps alongside an easy mode), but i could be totally wrong. Thanks AltyBagU :D

AltyBagU likes this.
  18. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

saying
    comes off as " i like it how it is now so your agument is bad"
    witch is rude

im more anooyed that there isnt a way to mod it to remove this shitty idea
    like NOWHERE in codeing does it say what drops when you die
    can anyone help =/

19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I probably wouldn't die that much, but the thing about Game Design, is that you have to try and predict what people might do, and one thing you generally want to try to avoid, is a situation in which you make the game unwinnable because of some mistake or other without a gameover screen or without the game telling you that what you did was irreversible.

Especially in a game where Death != Gameover, you need to make sure that someone can't break the game to the point it is impossible to proceed.

This used to happen a lot on early console games and in some early PC games where if the player makes a certain mistake, the game became unwinnable and the game did not warn the player and the player continued playing on until he/she realized this fact and likely wasted hours.

Just because it is unlikely that one might exhaust a planet of the ore they need by dying, the fact that the possibility exists is enough to reconsider this. This + RNG means that you could potentially get an iron-starved planet, go on a giant mining spree... and wind up eating dirt and not having enough iron to actually escape the planet.

Also, forcing people to play certain modes to see storylines = BIG FAT NO.

Some people like to relax while they play a game. These kinds of people aren't looking for challenge. But yet they just want to see the story, they don't care about challenge. I've even done this with some strategy games (like King's Bounty, for one). I've set it on Easy because I like playing the game, I wanna see the story, but I don't want to blow ludicrous numbers of hours on trying to figure out how to actually clear the game. Maybe I just want a stroll through the park.

Should I be punished by seeing less story in a game that is already... uh... somewhat thin on lore? No! Don't punish me like that. If I want easy mode, then let me have easy mode.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    Colton and Hatsya Souji like this.
  20. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

exactly
    im happy that atleast some one else understands how awful this idea was

i got this from another thread

its a good thing they are looking to fix this idea,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.