1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Death Penalty in the Nightly Builds

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DaJoe85, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaJoe85

DaJoe85 2.7182818284590...

I have not played the nightly builds yet but I keep hearing that the death penalty removes all your ore from your inventory, is this true?

I am very concerned if it is, I really do not like the idea of loosing ore so easily especially since ore is so hard to get at the beginning of the game.

Let me know you you think about the nightly death penalty compared to the current death penalty.

I know I should just try nightly myself, but I am waiting to progress to tier 10 in the current version(I am fairly new to this game so I have only gotten to tier 5 so far)

Thanks for any replies

2. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

I'm in the same boat as you, my pc is not ready for nightly so I have no clue as well and would like the question answered as well.

3. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

The way I see it, it's a start at balancing the refinery - which in its original form trivializes death

4. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

Honestly, they should do it the way Terraria does it; upon death, you lose half your pixels, but you're able to store these pixels at any time without having to lose some (looking at you, compressor). Could be changed to make more/less punishing depending on the difficulty, too.

Quenton, Elate, Zouleena and 3 others like this.
  5. There have to be penalties for dying or else it's trivial. Right now the ore is dropped and disappears rather quickly which is not cool and not going to be in the final build. Ideally you lose 40% of your pixels, and drop your ore for later recovery.

Blake81 and zixaphir like this.
  6. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Havent played it myself nor do I have the intent to do so, but from what I have seen is that the new "early game" seems to be very very grindy... grinding ores to fix your ships engine... for instance... near the planetary core...

7. TheKrister2

TheKrister2 Pangalactic Porcupine

I play on the nightly build and loosing the ores is bad enough but loosing my dang ingots too!? What the heck Starbound!! is there a possible fix for this by editting some of the files in starbound? (I am not in a good mood right now so sorry if I make this sound derpy... kinda lost 51 core fragments 50 gold etc and so on :mad:)

8. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

While I think the current incarnation (from what I hear, as I, too, have not played Nightly) is too punishing / grindy, I think that it's good that they are trying things out.

Somewhere between the Stable version (T1-T5 or T5-10) and the Nightly version, there should be a happy medium of time investment and progression. Stable T5-10 just requires some ore, which can be gained from a single planet, before you move on, while Stable 1-5 requires ore, pixels, and a boss fight. Nightly requires pixels and ore AND travel to the deep underground, possibly a boss as well, so I hope that they can tweak the requirements until it feels right.

I think it's a good thing to have a death penalty, however is it possible to make a temporary one-use container that contains the dropped items/pixels? That way, players wouldn't have to rush back to where they died in hopes of recovering their lost stuff, but could spend slightly more time and have fewer deaths. Especially since players are now going down to the deep underground, with the stronger monsters and stuff.

Lady Lurkin and zixaphir like this.
  9. DaJoe85

In my opinion, the loss of just pixels is perfect because it does not effect your early game but later on when anything you build requires a lot of pixels it can hurt. I think losing ore is too frustrating, especially for beginners and clumsy like myself that always falls in lava or off a meteorite.

My suggestion is make the pixel loss more and forget the loss of ore

10. The idea isn't that you'd lose ore, the ore is dropped and you can go and pick it back up. It's designed to keep people from using death as the express elevator to the ship.

11. DaJoe85

Ahhh...well that is much better then, I guess I misunderstood the penalty. If you can pick the ore back up, then the death penalty definitely makes much more sense

12. Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

They can probably despawn so there is still a risk...
    but yes, you can take it back.

13. Pingeh

Pingeh Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't like it either. Losing all your ore and junk should be in a separate game mode but not normal. Seems needlessly grindy. The pixel loss is more than enough.
    I like to keep my ores on hand and in order in my inventory just to be organized, this kinda ruins that since I'd have to store away every piece whenever I get back to my ship or base, just in case.

Colton and Beatrice like this.
  14. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I sorta agree but only if the refinery isn't a thing. Though ideally I'd rather the refinery exist in a way that didn't make gathering pixels most efficient by gathering ore

15. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Trust me,its bad.Game breaking bad.

It means now you cant just explore the planets,when you go and mine you NEED to get back to the surface,wich is boring,can make over half a hour of mining with sub par tools worthless,wich hapened to me.

And if RNG decides to be a ficle b*tch and give your world, mosters with plenty ranged atacks ya cant properly dodge and cant fighht em properly cause the Combat now is impossible without a Shield.

Its horrible as it is,and Copper is incredibly rare.Either they buff mining speeds and scrap this mechanic,or damm,the game is unplayable,even if its just for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014
    jeremyloveskiwi likes this.
  16. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i think removing service ores was a very good idea

but droping ores on death is just bullcrap and incurages cheating
    idk how meny times in other games were a feel the game cheated me so i had to cheat my way back in
    its awful

ReverendBonobo and TheKrister2 like this.
  17. Magmarashi

Magmarashi Cosmic Narwhal

My favorite part of this discussion is that nobody has stopped to wonder if it's a bug causing this to occur and just jumping to it being intentional.

Edit: It might very well BE intentional, I'm just amused that it's being assumed so straight up.

18. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

well the coding seems like its intentional =p

well the nightly hasnt updated in like 5 days ( for some reason)
    it hasnt even updated today even tho tiy sead it would :rolleyes:
    for all we know this coulda changed awhile ago

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  19. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Even if it is intentional, why don't we simply say we don't like it because X, Y, and Z, and ask the devs to reconsider the decision?

The game is still in development, things can change!

Kittails and Tamorr like this.
  20. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I hope it is because then it means they're looking at it. The first way wasn't too great imo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.