1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Dark surface areas?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by LaDestitute, Jul 25, 2014.

1. LaDestitute

LaDestitute Subatomic Cosmonaut

During my playtime of the game, I've occasionally encountered sections of the surfaces of planets where it was completely dark compared to other sections of the surface. I'm not sure if this is a depth related thing, but has anybody else encountered this and know what they are?

2. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

They are patches of Earth soaked in the blood and bones of dead soldiers. Soon, Anubis shall raise his armies and kill us all!

3. janusforbeare

janusforbeare Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah, it's a depth thing. They usually occur in extremely deep valleys. I think it may be dependent on the backdrop... every time I've run into it, the location in question has had an underground/soil backdrop.

Milan Mree and The | Suit like this.
  4. LaDestitute

I'm not sure if it's depth based, actually. I've run into dark areas which are only 5-7 blocks downward from either direction.

5. janusforbeare

Do you have a pic? I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.

6. LaDestitute

Here ya go: link here

In the middle of daytime on a jungle planet. Wasn't too far down in terms of depth (right around the surface layer), as the area outside of this stretch of flat land was bright, while this area to the left was generally dark.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  7. janusforbeare

Huh. That is kinda odd.

It's similar to what I was talking about, but you're right, it doesn't look very deep (not that I can tell your Z level from the pic, but you still have a jungle backdrop).

I can't say that I've noticed that occurring in my game.

8. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

That seems to be depth. The planet's surface, at least where you landed, must be unusually low...

9. Milan Mree

Milan Mree Pangalactic Porcupine

The backdrop looks low in your picture. Only way to find out is blow up some dirt and background walls and dig deeper and see if it gets darker.