Digital Crotchbeard's art Dump

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by VonCrotchbeard, Dec 10, 2013.

1. VonCrotchbeard

VonCrotchbeard Void-Bound Voyager

[​IMG]

Welcome to my art dump !

I will be posting all the art here that i made while being inspired by starbound.

I don't really do art requests i am afraid. When i do art for other people it's often because i see a request somewhere on the forums that just happens to tickle my fancy.

Featured Art

[​IMG]

Glitch art

Hylotl Art

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Floran Art

[​IMG]

Apex art

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Novakid art

Ingame Creature Art

Random Stuff

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  2. weemcast

weemcast Space Hobo

This is great - looking forward to seeing more, especially your take on the other races, etc - keep em coming ;)

3. VonCrotchbeard

glad you like it and will do :)

4. daemonstar

daemonstar Aquatic Astronaut

great stuff =D

5. VonCrotchbeard

cheers mate :D

6. VonCrotchbeard

Added a new pic :)

7. Jeremex

Jeremex Subatomic Cosmonaut

this is really beautiful! cant wait to see more.

8. VonCrotchbeard

glad you like em

Also added another one :)

9. F-ranko

F-ranko Heliosphere

This is fantastic looking art! I really like how you've focused on Hylotl being actual aliens as opposed to just "Fish People".
    Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to seeing some more.

VonCrotchbeard likes this.
  10. Jeremex

Jeremex Subatomic Cosmonaut

wow the new one looks great! i love the pose, it really shows the movement well!

11. Shook

Shook Space Spelunker

Holy crap, excellence is through the roof here! The refinement on the second one in particular is amazing, could pass for a photo to me. :0

12. Eyhzat

Eyhzat Space Hobo

Loving the art style for these!

13. CatBerry

CatBerry Subatomic Cosmonaut

wow your art is impressive o.o
    your speedpaint style is very great ^^ i so can not do that haha ^^

i somehow think that Hylothl are based on Axelothl so for me they look a bit too... ehm brutal? ^^ But they look still really good :3 Good work.

14. vernadead

vernadead Big Damn Hero

Wow awesome. I especially like gun Hylotl with the gun. Very impressive.

15. VonCrotchbeard

an anon mension this aswell that they are probably based on axelothl. When i started my drawing i looked at the wiki and it said that they are aqualic creatures. So in my head i thoughed it would be cool if they kinda had a shark like skin. so pretty thick but still pretty matte without scales (atleast i think shark has no scales xD). thats also the reason why my hytolt has so many teeth ^^.

but after looking at the Axelothl i kinda see where you guys are comming from. So i did some quick studies for myself to see what they would look like if i drew it more like Hytotl and now the faces may look more friendly, but the bodies are pretty damn creepy xD.

[​IMG]

also at the rest cheers glad you like em :)

Silvestre, Amfumi and Azza_hd like this.
  16. Azza_hd

Azza_hd Poptop Tamer

Wow nice work.

17. CatBerry

quick.... man you are way to skilled *jelly*
    i never really get how that kind of drawing works :wut: i mean like you make the sketch first and then.... i never get it to look good or draw over the lines and such :(

did oyu know the Axelothl is also called the ever smiling creature? (or something i once heard it as a german sentence.... hope i remembered it halfly right xD )

they are cute little creatues a bit creepy yes but cute :)

18. VonCrotchbeard

I did not know that. Man learning quite alot about axelothl while doing these pictures xD.

as for the progress. Here is a stepped picture of the portrait one

[​IMG]

But what i do is first do a sketch. I don't make the sketch perfect, because i like to still make decisions while coloring. Then grab a mid tone Background color and darken out the silhouette. Then i just start to carve out the shapes with colors. Make sure i work from dark to light and try to stick to one light source. I make sure my intended focus point gets the most detail and time spend on when refining it(in this drawing it would be the face). The more i leave my focus point the more things just become shapes fading together with its dark silhouette (like its clothing and such).

2 key points to keep in mind is to never work on a white background while coloring. Because if you already have the purest white on your screen it will be hard to balance it out with the shading you wanna put in your drawing. So always go for a midtone background color. Just so you can work towards your lightest color by just adding layers of lighter colors.

Another thing is to never think that the shape of your character is done when your line art is ready. Don't be afraid to paint untop of your line art (either to fix proportions or to just try different things).

hope this helps you in anyways. best thing of all is just to keep on drawing, listen to advice and suggestion with an open heart and most importantly just have fun :D

19. CatBerry

thank you very much :) i think i will try it sometime soon again, since im very interested in that way of drawing but .... im afraid to mess up... somehow i always have to have neat outlines and all that when drawing somethign digital :(

20. VonCrotchbeard

don't be afraid. If you practice mess up as bad as humanly possible. Thats the quickest way to learn :D. Just keep on trucking

Also added a new drawing :D

CatBerry and Amfumi like this.