Modding Help "Critical Hit" A small chance of dealing much more damage

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Tuesday's Eyebrow, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Tuesday's Eyebrow

Tuesday's Eyebrow Phantasmal Quasar

So, I'm working on a mod that compiles a bunch of different items from the kingdom hearts universe into a single mod. (If you're interested, I'll link it here) I want to include a critical system so that, for example, One Winged Angel is relatively weak but has a small chance to deal around three times as much damage. I was wondering if there's a way to make a weighted range of projectile powers or some other way to include critical hits.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks in advance,

Tuesday's Eyebrow

2. Unless you are planning to have scripted guns, there is no way of changing JSON code once it has been parsed and stored into the game. Nor is there a way to dynamically change elements such as the projectile's power.

3. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

There's no way to change weapon power as severed states, but if you're using the nightly build I believe you should be able to create a new status-effect which is applied by the gun and counts hits. On the Xth hit it would do a variable amount of damage and reset the counter. It would be one of the easier sort of status types to do, I think, since it is mostly just applying straight damage.

I'm not sure how easy this would be to do. It definitely requires some knowledge of using LUA in Starbound.
    I'm actually just looking into the new status effects and how they work right now. I'll try to post more about scripting these once I figure it all out. :)