1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Crappy unrepairable pick durability =/= fun

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tsal, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Tsal

Tsal Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't know who thought that was a good idea but it wasn't and if I wasn't curious about what else you've done to the game I'd go back to playing my other games right now.

Seriously, low durability unrepairable picks?

[​IMG]

2. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Upgrade your Matter Manipulator >_>

3. Tsal

Tsal Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In other words, forget picks exist?

Yeah... good answer there...

Also, the MM is a total PITA to use now.

Since they took it off the standard hotbar you have to play a platformer as though you're a mmo clicker to use it.

4. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Or press the corresponding hotkey R.

5. Tsal

Tsal Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah I'm doing that and its unresponsive compared to the 10 key.

You have to mash R 2-3 times to get it to come on.

Either way, its horribly clunky compared to what it was.

6. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

You sure your keyboard isn't the problem then. Because R works for me every time without a hitch

7. Tsal

Tsal Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have it hotkeyed to my N52, yeah there could be a problem but since those keys on my N52 are fine in other games I doubt it.

Either way, its clunky bad set up for controls. Worse than it was before, a downgrade.

It also doesn't change what I said about picks.

8. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

What is here not to like? Pretty realistic in my opinion. At least it's no longer a "touch it with iron to repair" mechanic. And what did you really expect? A perfect pickaxe? "Everybody look here, I'm making a hand-made pickaxe out of nearly unusable materials without even knowing how to and I expect it to be perfect and everlasting!" Seriously? Upgrade you damned matter manipulator, it's better than picks. Picks are last millennium!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  9. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

To be fair, you are making the pickaxes out of pretty horrible materials.

10. Withdraw the condescension a bit, pls. Pls, Darklight.

Darklight.

pls.

11. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

I was being serious. R has never failed for me

The Troglodyte and Heartstrings like this.
  12. To be fair, the the Starbound Survival Guide in the Codex Library is pretty misleading atm as well. It still claims you can sharpen tools using ore, which in this case, only consisted of the pickaxe prior to the patch.

13. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

You do have to press it 2-3 times, and by 2-3 I mean once to go to matter manipulator, then once more if you want to switch to your LR buttons (then once more to go back to MM). Anything else is exaggerated.

Also, as far as the pickaxe change, I love it. First of all, there was really no need to ever repair pickaxes in the older versions. It was a feature that was never necessary with the previous iterations of pickaxes. Secondly, pickaxes being a slightly better alternative to matter manipulator but making them rareish drops makes perfect sense to me. It brings just one more special thing that I'm excited for when I open a chest.

edit: btw I'm not saying it's perfect. I'm saying it's an improvement. moving in the right direction.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    Heartstrings and CaptThad like this.
  14. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

See I don't use R to get to the LR buttons I just double tap whatever number that's closest and that switches to the LR buttons automatically

15. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I like R, actually. I also like the MM not being an inventory item :)

16. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

If you use the pickaxe(s) in conjunction with the MM you can make your Pickaxe last longer(MM is very useful for digging straight down), also try to dig through weaker materials, unless you're mining specific ores. You can stock up on pickaxes by doing missions, or even craft them with the basic ores you find. You should be able to get enough material using one pickaxe to make at least two more if you deliberately set out to find the ores.

Tamorr likes this.
  17. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I actually like the way picks are now. I liked how they were in the original state to. Which is better, I don't know. As I liked both methods about the same. Since this is how they want to picks, I am actually fine with it. At least it is a choice whether to use them or not. The mm has improved since the last so I have not any complaints about that.

I find it productive the way picks are now. I gain more ores then I can make more out of. Unless of course I am bulk mining a specific material; ie clay as an example. That is me. The R button I found pretty easy to use. Might have to adjust my hot bar 1-0 though for easier access though. I switch between 1-handed & 2-handed weapons. The 1handed is in the L & flashlight in the R slot.

There is no need to repair as that would be too costly. As in it would be better to make another rather than repair, that much I do not mind. For me it lasts a decent amount of time depending on the grade, even if hardly noticeable. :)

18. Supersonicsid

Supersonicsid Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ive been playing the unstable recently just getting back into the game and i have to say i love it.I love how you can upgrade the mm,i love how you can get so many ores just by going a little bit deeper,and i love the picks being rare.I also love the new combat and stuff like that but i wish a few of the monsters telegraphed their moves better,thats pretty much my only complaint.

Darklight likes this.
  19. Camshaft

Camshaft Phantasmal Quasar

the pickaxe and drill are crap and it from the team that these are not to repair.

the Materie Manipulator is to upgrade than you can make it faster and its radius is greater.
    and you can collect fluid like water, oil, posion, magma, fuel for the ftl
    and is has his own slot

press R for the MM
    pres double R for left and right hand
    press T for wiring tool
    pres Z for paint tool

20. Kriegson

Kriegson Big Damn Hero

Imo new system works fine with the exception of some picks (Diamond, anything further) being inefficient in comparison.
    MM is great. So many games force you to shove your face into the wall and whack it repeatedly with a pick until it breaks. MM is a bit more versatile and easy to use.