1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FireSnow, Sep 11, 2014.

1. FireSnow

FireSnow Void-Bound Voyager

Do you guys also think cooking needs to have a bigger role in Starbound?
    The greatest of heroes, and baddest of villains, need to have their adventure luchbox don't they? Food should have a bigger role in Starbound IMO.

After thinking a while about the races. I also think some races should be vegetarian, I know it sounds really weird but think about it... Avians (birds) eating an animal. I guess u could say they are hawks. And glitch should need to find oil or other fuel recourses. But I am not very familiar with the Starbound lore, so I will not make suggestions yet, I do know Floran are hyper aggressive cannibal race :fireball:

And I don't want to need install mod for this kind of things. Small detail's make a good game in to an awesome and refined game.

What do you guys think and what kind of system should they make for it?:lickitung:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Serenity, Feathery Dust and Zouleena like this.
  2. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Honestly?

Yeah, cooking needs a way bigger role, right now its just wheat-Bread-repeat, with so much space in the newer Ships, why cant we make some Omlets or something in the Extra Cargo bay?

I feel like we need some recipies focused on Buffing your character more,and honestly,Hunger needs a serious reworking,20 steaks last you forever and Hunger itself isnt threatning at all,its just...there.

Maybe a bit of a Frackin Flora type of aproach,maybe?I dunno.

We could realy use some revamping in this area,thats for sure.

Dankvader, Yzzey, The | Suit and 3 others like this.
  3. FireSnow

FireSnow Void-Bound Voyager

Exactly and maybe a thirst system. Like soup would refill both and give you heat boost. I heard the hunger system is gonna change, they are gonna do it like tech(correct me if I am wrong.) Thanks for the reply :D, i've never really been on the forums but it is pretty awesome here.

4. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

I want to see a whole heckofalotamore crafting in all aspects- cooking/potions/block and decor crafting, etc. So, yes to having my stovepot runneth over!

Also- Hylotl are considered vegetarian - http://starbound.gamepedia.com/Hylotl :up:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  5. Milan Mree

Milan Mree Ketchup Robot

Crafting in general could use an upgrade.

6. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Yeah, cooking is a little on the barebones side.
    I want to make pizzas but no known way to make them other than spawning them and some of the ingredients I don't think exist yet. Plus it would be good for RP servers, feed a lot of players.

7. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Well, technically, the hylotl are vegitarian. But they can eat meat anyway. It all goes back to the whole "all races being equal" kind thing. But honestly, they could balance all of the races without needing to make them all the same.

I agree that food should play a bigger role; currently, you only really have a chance of staving on your first or maybe second planet.
    There needs to be a reason to keep your hunger up. Some kind of drawback to near-starving, like a speed nerf or the energy bar not regenerating.
    Other than that, there should also be more reason to collect recipies other than completionism... the current buffs are good, but most people don't know about them, and they aren't really unique.

Also, there are a lot of types of birds that eat meat. I would say that avians are a bird of prey, if only because they're the size of average people.

FireSnow likes this.
  8. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Yeah, I kinda hit on Oculemon Stew as amazo-healing and incredibly filling, thus I've got... well, a LOT in my inventory. My greenhouse got a looootta Oculemon.

I did make at least one of everything I had a recipe for, though, just because why not? But yeah... some added buffs and benefits would be great. Farsight (howzat work? I don't have any helmets that supposedly give that), temp poison immunity, glowing, temp armor increase...

9. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

I'm hungry.

10. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Let's go list-form!

POSSIBLE FOOD BENEFITS (ALL TEMPORARY):
    ----------
    • Burning Calories (increased Energy recovery rate)
    • Hearty Meal (armor buff)
    • Antitoxin (poison/acid immunity)
    • Good Eyes (glowing/farsight)
    • Beefy! (increased melee attack power)
    • Shock Absorber (decrease fall damage)
    • Hyperactive (increased running speed AND melee swing speed)
    • Chill (increased heat resistance)
    • Feelin' Hot Hot Hot (increased cold resistance)
    • Gassy (speed & gravity reduction for higher "floaty" jumps, Fizzy Lifting Drink style)
    Yeah, it's possible some people might spam these. (There should be a spam food, now that I think of it.) But I figure they wouldn't stack (I mean, eating a food while its effect is still in play will not extend the duration, you SHOULD be able to get multiple effects going but man you'd be carrying a lotta food for not that much payoff), wouldn't be like huge (5~15% for armor/melee power?)... and possibly have a "cooldown" where once the effect has worn off, you can eat that food again for hunger/health, but you won't get the status change until the "cooldown" is over.

And of course, some of these might be tempered somewhat with negative benefits. Maybe the Roast Dinner gives you a higher Beefy boost, but also makes you Logy, which drops your movement speed, jump and melee swing speed a little bit. Maybe a particularly high Burning Calories item makes you take a tiny bit more damage than normal.

Just tossing those out there.[DOUBLEPOST=1410505395][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Birds were, for a while, the undisputed apex predators of South America. Imagine a 10-foot-tall monster ostrich with a beak like an axe, made mainly to slam down with bone-shattering force and carve massive gouges in flesh. Those existed, and have the adorable nickname "terror birds".

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  11. Casmyr

Casmyr Big Damn Hero

I do rather like the idea of Food/Cooking doing more. It'd make Farming and Eco-related things more fun then just collecting.

Yet know this, try and deny this Hylotl his bacon, and there will be waves made.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  12. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Oh man I just hit on another one.
    • Gassy (speed & gravity reduction for higher "floaty" jumps)

Casmyr likes this.
  13. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

I agree, currently you can just hunt for 5 minutes and have enough food for hours (IRL hours), which renders the cooking part of the game practically useless, and it shouldn't be that way.
    I'm pretty sure farts don't work like a jetpack but other than that it could be a funny little touch :p
    EDIT to avoid double post: Also if Hylotls don't get Sushi and noodles by the time the game is completed I'll be very disappointed.

14. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Not farting, think "Fizzy Lifting Drinks".

15. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

Oh, I feel silly now. I don't really see how a fizzy drink will make you "float" though.

16. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Willy Wonka figured it out.

17. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Why not make Hop-Scotch?
    http://bastion.wikia.com/wiki/Hop-Scotch

Cool litle reference,and would make some sense and even fit the Starbound universe well,no?

Feathery Dust likes this.
  18. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

I want a cooking mini-game.

And upgradable knives and pans. :D

19. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Burgers are OP, one could argue, compared to the harder to find/gather meals.

20. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Never actualy made Burgers,whad they do?