1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Constructive Criticism Thread

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Vsuchinoko, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vsuchinoko

Vsuchinoko Phantasmal Quasar

In the event of many other feedback/discussion threads becoming locked up due to the inconvenience of a few outliers ruining it for the rest. Sadly so. I am creating this thread.

Previous Criticism Threads: Why Starbound was disappointing to me Madness in Chuckleland

Hopefully a daily Constructive Criticism Thread isn't necessary and this thread doesn't become locked up either. Do not misunderstand. I am not creating this thread in an attempt to 'fuel the fire' or whatever fashion you may believe to start an uproar among players. Please try to abhor to the forum rules whenever possible when posting.

I truly see some valid discussion and valid points being posted and I would hate to see them be halted when feedback and discussion threads become locked.

@Elate
    "The truth is, we need a stable build. There isn't really any if or but about that at this point.

Nightlies are great and dandy, but you can't really run a community, a server, on nightlies,"

@Splift
    "Starbound's main selling point is exploration. A game with infinite planets to explore is more or less how it sells itself. At the moment, Terraria's world gen is 10 times better and this is a game where you are supposed to play on one world (yes that 1 world is bigger than SB's but even if you look at fractions of it Terraria world gen wins easily)."

@KONGIKU
    "I think we all purchased Starbound knowing that it was not a game, but going to be a game pretty soon. I mean, it's a beta correct? A beta does not mean reworking almost everything. It seems as though the developers have already made a Starbound and realised it was no where near as much as they promised, and now they are doing damage control and trying to put together something that sort-of resembles the finished product but will probably take forever. Because in reality a beta tester usually only goes in expecting few bugs here and there, but the majority of the game existing and will most likely not change so much when it is released. The blog posts about nightly make it seem like they are reinventing the wheel."

@Elate
    "You can't just keep adding features without creating a stable platform at some point, else you end up in the mess Minecraft was before the current dev team fixed things. Full of bugs and half complete features that just never got fixed. As to" forward to a stable version", I think that's what the main criticism is. It's nowhere on the horizon. We're told "Sometime this week" "by the end of this month" "at the start of next month" "in a months time" "by the end of summer", what's next? By next year? The majority of people are not interested in half broken nightly builds, and so to them, the game has essentially been dead for months."

@modioperandus
    "I'm not saying their development team was making the right decision by adding so many features in at once. I bet they'd love to give a timeline but I honestly think they don't have any idea (better to give no timeline than break a deadline). They wanted an update that will reignite the player base, because they were criticized for not doing enough (and still are given this thread). Smaller bites in stable updates would be a better way but they wanted to massively overhaul a lot of systems in the game so that's going to create a long delay."

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    Zuvaii likes this.
  2. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

If the previous threads have all been closed within 24 hours, you should consider that the topic you are bringing up is very controversial and evokes strong emotions, which leads to arguments and impoliteness. And that leads to closed threads.

I would suggest that you wait until Monday to let everyone calm down and let tempers go back to normal, and then try again. Please don't force the issue while there are still people that are fired up.

*Edit*
    If you would like to discuss constructive criticism, would you consider contributing to the currently-constructed collaboration, conveniently co-habitating here?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    Zouleena and Darklight like this.
  3. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

Vsuchinoko likes this.
  4. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

Constructive critisim should be present in every thread that deals with concerns/suggestions/opinions, etc- it's a way of offer opinions and suggestions in a positive encouraging manner without being an insulty stubborn mean agitated dick about it all and even "trolling" threads with the specific intention of derailing and being a butthead.

Personally I don't see the reason for this thread to exist, sorry. People just need to learn how to respectfully offer their opinions/suggestions in a fruitful way on the topics being discussed, engage others, respect others. Unfortunately for those of us who are pretty decent the constructive part of critisms... well...the rudenicks can spoil it for the rest of us.

5. You've already set up this thread to fail -- or at the very least to become a duplicate. This thread has already been started on the path of not being about the game itself, but the decisions about updates to that game. That discussion fits more here than it does in Starbound GD.

Additionally, I agree with Akado. It's not good to start a new thread covering the same subject as an old thread so soon after the old one was locked. Especially not if you start the new thread on a similar foot that upset users in the first place.

If you have questions about the lock -- shoot me a PM :coffee:

Locklave, DrVoodoo, Serenity and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.