1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Configurable controls MUST be #1 priority

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by auxy, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. auxy

auxy Space Hobo

I just lost a diamond pickaxe because I accidentally slid my finger over Q while reaching up to 1 to deselect it, and didn't realize until after I was finished fighting, when it apparently already de-spawned.

I don't even want the damn drop item button bound anywhere. If I want to drop something, I'll do it manually. I want all my stuff.

It's absolutely ridiculous that you got *into alpha stage* without implementing configurable controls.

UrashimaStar and R_C_A^ like this.
  2. Kanedork

Kanedork Subatomic Cosmonaut

Do you have any developing experience to know how hard or how easy it is to put remappable controls? I have it on good word that it's not nearly as easy as it sounds.

3. HeroicDoge

HeroicDoge Aquatic Astronaut

Adapt.

We would all still be apes if we couldn't change our ways.

4. Black--snow

Black--snow Cosmic Narwhal

Honestly, I would like configurable controls to be a priority as well, more for the reason of convenience than anything else.

R_C_A^ and auxy like this.
  5. Kobting

Kobting Space Penguin Leader

Not really a number one priority when some people still can't play the game

Reno and Alec5h like this.
  6. auxy

auxy Space Hobo

I am a game developer. It is not difficult. A support nightmare, maybe, but implementing it -- at least, implementing simple "move keys around" rebinding; implementing joystick/mouse rebinding is a pain -- is not difficult.

No. And this isn't a solution to the bad default control layout.

Curious which portion of the purchasers *can* play the game versus those who can't.

Regardless, this is something that could be implemented in an hour. They don't even have to make a UI to configure the controls, just give me a .cfg file or something!

7. Sylv

Sylv Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is a bug/issue forum. Doesent go here

But on your note: With the way the game is coded,it's not super easy.

Bad control layout? Not even close. It's pretty normal for ALOT of game players and not 'bad'.
    I do advocate for having rebinding to keep people from crying,but still

8. Kanedork

Gotcha, my bad then.

Still, I wouldn't classify it as a number one priority when a bunch of people can't play yet, regardless of how few they are in comparison to the ones who get to play. This might have to do with myself being in the first group, yeah, but saying
    is like saying that a minority of people should starve so that the authorities can make the majority's beds wider. Granted, the floor might be hard and even have nails sticking out, but surely you can stand it a bit longer while they distribute the bread.

auxy and Sylv like this.
  9. Sylv

Sylv Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This guy.. This guy is good. I approve of this post,sir.

10. auxy

auxy Space Hobo

I absolutely understand what you're saying. The reason I said what I said was because if the percentage is 1-2% or less, well, some sacrifices must be made. You can't endlessly expend resources trying to solve a problem that affects so few and may or may not even be your (in this case, the developer's) fault.

Again, I totally get the concept, and I even agree with you, in theory, but it just depends on numbers.
    I see it as a serious issue. So it does go here.
    Just because something is common...

A perfect example: "i" is a common binding for inventory in games, and yet it's HORRIBLE. Everyone immediately rebinds it to tab, or B (as in most MMOs), or anything else. Why would you use "i", even considering the first-letter significance?

The default control layout is not "awful", but it's pretty bad. WASD instead of the objectively superior ESDF, i for inventory, Tab is unused entirely, "drop item" placed right next to other oft-used controls, the totally unlisted "F" binding...

Kanedork likes this.
  11. VladDOP

VladDOP Void-Bound Voyager

Agreed, control configuration should be address. I think a controller compatibility should give me happiness while playing the game and sitting at my couch :D

auxy likes this.
  12. auxy

auxy Space Hobo

I agree gamepad controls should be there, but let's not lose sight of the goal. Rebindable keys is relatively simple and much less involved than writing in controller support.

R_C_A^ and Sylv like this.
  13. Sylv

Sylv Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Very much so true.

14. Necrolance

Necrolance Void-Bound Voyager

Simple solution? Don't use the number keys to deselect the items. Use X. It swaps you right to your weapon if it's on the L/R slots.

15. Abadayos

Abadayos Space Spelunker

I would rather get the real bugs sorted out and more important things ironed out like game balance, then maybe in the second stage of beta testing (we are in the first stage of three here) it can be introduced.

The reason I say the second stage of the beta is so that the bones are in place, most oft he flesh is in place and the only true fixes would be bug fixes, balance and maybe some lingering compatibility issues.

Rebindable controls is NOT a requirment for this stage of teh beta as getting content out to be tested is the important thing right now. Also with so few people actually worried about rebinding keys (subjective observation due to not many threads about it and how many people are actually playing it perfectly fine currently on steam etc) it is not a major thing to be done. More dev time is better spent on implimenting things for the game play, balancing (like the recent crafted weapon fix), introducing the other 6 tiers of planets/difficulty etc and hey...actual game modes.

once that is out then rebindable keys may be done. In the mean time if your so die hard about it, maybe write a mod for it if you think it's not that hard to do. Problem solved and it may get it implemented faster.

Sylv likes this.
  16. Kanedork

I have no real knowledge of the percentages, but I suspect we might be talking of that kind of minority here or perhaps a bit more, since it's mostly WinXP and fairly outdated Mac users.

Ah well, I hope both problems get worked out anyway. The despawn time in the game is pretty unforgiving, so I totally understand what you're coming from. Hell, even after having a Diablo II intensive few weeks, I can't really get into a game such as Starbound having "I" as the inventory hotkey. >___>

17. HeroicDoge

HeroicDoge Aquatic Astronaut

Actually a large amount of people can't play atm due to lack of optimization.

Optimization > Keylayout.

Kobting likes this.
  18. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

I'm suffering in the "optimization" crowd :p But Tiy recently announced (in the past 20 minutes) he's gone to work on key config..

19. Kanedork

Precisely what I came here to say.

[​IMG]

20. auxy

auxy Space Hobo

Beautiful. I maintain my prior statement that these developers are some of the very best. キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.