1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Color Blind gamers: What in Starbound needs fixing?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by GeorgeV, Aug 5, 2014.

1. spiritofcat

spiritofcat Big Damn Hero

Yeah, I thought it probably wasn't something you could do yourself, but it's good to know that it's on the radar and someone will do something about it eventually :)

2. StarLoverNaz

StarLoverNaz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@Rainbow Dash I'm NOT color blind but I still lose the cursor sometimes too.

Also yes Elate you CAN change the cursor color in terraria all you have to do is go to settings.

By the way if I purchase starbound now then will there be a update for the full game when it comes out?
    Cause it would be really unfair to gamers if you have to buy it again!

3. BurgerBum

BurgerBum Void-Bound Voyager

depends on your type of colourblind....

why does everyone else say color instead of colour...????
    colour is french and fancy and fun to type. xD

4. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

becouse color is right way to say it

you dont say ca-lure
    you say color

lol

5. variablenonsense

variablenonsense Phantasmal Quasar

That's ... untrue. Color is American-English spelling. Colour is European, as far as I'm aware. It's not necessarily French. They're both correct.

Also, not colorblind (in fact I have perfect color perception and 15/20 vision), but even I have problems with the ores and losing the cursor. Glad to see ores are being addressed. I think a brighter contrast cursor would be great for all parties involved - or even better, a color-picker as suggested.

LadyKianna and Boshed like this.
  6. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Seems to me, from looking at this site, that the Monochromacy/Achromatopsia (Black & White vision) must be the hardest to differentiate between the colors... So each color having a difference in contrast is probably a good idea? Like you could tell light grey from darker grey...

7. GeorgeV

GeorgeV Art Director

Well as most of you have probably seen from the update:

[​IMG]

I'm aware the uranium rod, plutonium rod and solarium rod are probably hard to distinguish for some people and just haven't gotten to it yet.
    I'm also aware that Uranium and Pludonium look absolutely nothing like that (even the fictional versions ;p) but we've kind of made them look more unique just for looking unique.

What is not seen are a few more random ores and the Gold, Silver, ect which are basically just the same as before. Don't know what I'll do with them :p.

LadyKianna, SirKaldar and ejh1990 like this.
  8. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i feel that Uranium Rod could to better having a darker green to not be confused with the solarium rod (the uranium ores are fine) *for me anyways*

Pludonium feels right to me ( it might blend in with pinkish dirt tho)

i like how you added "rocks" to the ores it makes it alot easyer to distingush them from eachother

i used to get agiesalt mixed up with gold sometimes but this should fix that
    hope you find a plan about silver and gold

9. SilverDarkBlade

SilverDarkBlade Subatomic Cosmonaut

a colour selector would just be awesome in general. colour blind people could set it to what helps them see the best and for the non colour blind it adds personalization. which i love in games. the more personalization the better

10. GeorgeV

GeorgeV Art Director

Today I'm going to try and address the copper, gold, silver, platinum (diamond is good I think). My rudimentary way of testing right now is just greyscaling everything and seeing if I can still tell the difference.

The ingots/bars might still be an issue. I'm thinking of making each one a bit more unique however I don't want to stray too much. I mean an ingot is an ingot. I'll see what I can do.

I'll probably address the health stuff today and will start thinking about the cursor (which isn't a colorblind problem so much as we all lose it from time to time in... many games. :p).

LadyKianna, SirKaldar and ejh1990 like this.
  11. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i personaly like what minecraft did with the cursor witch basicly made it so its the negative colors of what its looking at
    as you can see here
    [​IMG]
    perfictly see the crosshair

tho unlike starbound its always in the same place so this might not help lol

SirKaldar likes this.
  12. GeorgeV

GeorgeV Art Director

[​IMG]

A few changes. Making those darned minable ores for Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum different will be annoying.

Any other issues here?

13. Christovski

Christovski Ketchup Robot

Now that's cool.

14. DaJoe85

DaJoe85 2.7182818284590...

I am not colorblind, but sometimes the different gray bars can be hard to distinguish, but this looks way better, not only the color but the shape and size are way easier.

Great Job so far!

LadyKianna likes this.
  15. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

yah that looks alot better
    i can still see how someone would think that the new steel and titanium look simuler but the green border in titaniums icon helps identify it

16. @GeorgeV

If you want to differentiate Iron a little more -- you could always add a blue hue to it. Might not be the most realistic thing, but it would still be readable. Like... #343F6A for it's shadowed side or something generally in that spectrum. Basically just give it a more cold tint.

17. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

I did a quick Photoshop to simulate Colorblindness. Tritanopia, Deuternopia, and Protanopia. Trianopia is rare but I had the option to use it so I did.
    This is really for anyone who wants to see a comparison, I thought this thread lacked one so I oblidged.

[​IMG]
    Original
    [​IMG]
    Deuternope
    [​IMG]
    Protanope
    [​IMG]
    Tritanope

[​IMG]
    Original
    [​IMG]
    Deuternope
    [​IMG]
    Protanope
    [​IMG]
    Tritanope

:EDIT: I added the ores to see if anyone can spot any real issues.

[​IMG]
    Original
    [​IMG]
    Protanope
    [​IMG]
    Deuternope
    [​IMG]
    Tritanope

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    LadyKianna and SirKaldar like this.
  18. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

wow i dont see anything like that

maybe im wired then =/

19. ejh1990

ejh1990 Phantasmal Quasar

Yes. I had made this post before, but I deleted it as I thought I was looking at the wrong thing, haha. There's possibly a huge issue with copper/silver ingots in that they look almost identical for people with Achromatopsia (Monochromacy). And gold/platinum ingots are even worse. This is only going on this simulatior that's been posted a few times, though.

If I understood @ladders correctly, I think he has Achromatopsia. If I am correct in my understanding, maybe he can say if this is indeed the case. Or anyone who has this for that matter. And in the interests of comparison, the ingots on the bottom row from left to right are: copper, silver, gold, platinum.

Using the great idea given by @Izzabelle to change shading, I came up with the idea of using shading to give a subtle difference to shape. If the "bobbly bit" at the top of copper and gold were removed, there would be more differentiation. I am not a pixel artist, so I apologise that this may be tantamount to doodling on your work @GeorgeV but this is something that I was thinking for comparison:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  20. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

There are several more, and there are variations of them. Also they vary in severity.
    Monochromacy is another version for example. Where you can't see color just shades of gray.