1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Color Blind gamers: What in Starbound needs fixing?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by GeorgeV, Aug 5, 2014.

1. ejh1990

ejh1990 Phantasmal Quasar

I apologise what I am about to suggest isn't in the realm of your control. I honestly can't remember off the top of my head if the HUD bars are one item per pip, or one item per state. And I can't check as I am not at my main computer. :p

If it's one image per state then with regards to the health/energy bars would an additional (but subtle) visual clue help? Something along the lines of an arrow marker like this:

[​IMG]

SirKaldar and ladders like this.
  2. Sykes

Sykes Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Thank you, regarding the health bar contrast! Would the same fix be able to be applied to the party compasses (the little arrows that point toward party members)? Any mixed color (yellow, cyan, magenta, etc.) over black/gray would work for any colorlindness!

LadyKianna likes this.
  3. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

im parlty colorblind and i have no proplems with red on black/gray

tho the mouse gets lost sometimes

4. Sykes

PSA: There are 6 types of partial colorblindness in total. There are 4 types of red-green colorblindness (two forms of dichromacy, two forms of anomalous trichromacy) and 2 variations of a much more rare type that is a malfunction with the blue-yellow cone, tritanopia and tritanomaly.

Just because you're partially colorblind, doesn't mean you see the same things as someone else with a partial colorblindness, even if you both have one of the four red-green deficiencies.

In any case, none of them can get confused by seeing a mixed color (yellow, magenta, cyan) on top of black or gray. That will be high contrast no matter what colorblindness you have because you're comparing total color to lack of color. But if you put a single primary color (red, green, blue) on top of black or dark gray, SOME form of partial colorblindness will not be able to see it easily. One of the six.

LadyKianna likes this.
  5. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

well i know that, i was just stating that i wasnt one of them lol

6. Sykes

It wasn't really directed at you, don't worry. Your comment just reminded me that it would be a good thing to mention.

LadyKianna likes this.
  7. wayninja

wayninja Aquatic Astronaut

I'm a little confused. Can I only answer if I'm color blind, or can I address the glaring problems in the current build for those with no sight impediments?

8. You can contribute if you have something that will assist the visually impaired. As the thread inquires.

9. wayninja

The thread inquiries are for color blindness, not generally visually impaired, and yes, there is a difference.

For the latter, I'd recommend JAWS. I have no recommendation for the former. Both will require the game to have something worthy of translation from visual to aural, so I recommend that happens.

10. I meant the literal usage, not the social usage -- and you understood anyways.

11. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

Of course there is a difference.
    All forms of colour blindness are considered visual impairments where as all visual impairments are not forms of colour blindness.

To put it simply (And this is for everyone)
    You don't have to be colour blind to contribute but if your suggestion is a personal problem with visuals and not about colour blindness then start a suggestion thread.

LadyKianna likes this.
  12. wayninja

I would disagree that (all) those that are color blind consider themselves visually impaired. That is all. The rest of your post ignores the rest of mine, so I give you the same consideration.

13. Alright. Let's stay on topic -- this about helping make Starbound a color-blind friendly game.

LadyKianna likes this.
  14. Namiwakiru

That's all good and proper but as mentioned it's about making improving the game for people who are colour blind, not the personal definitions of such.

if you didn't think it applied to you then good.

More practically, there seems to be no end of aids for people to pursue colour blind modes in games, photos and other images.
    This one seems quite helpful and covers a wide range.

http://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/

Can throw some screen shots in easily enough.

15. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i played the newest nightly
    it seems they added numbers and L and Rs to make it easyer to tell witch hand its in

16. Namiwakiru

The fellas at Gearbox had this write up.
    Has links to tools and explanations of how they approached various colour schemes and clashes

Sprawler likes this.
  17. Sykes

For the record, if anyone is curious about colorblindness and gaming, IGN wrote up an amazing article (I know, IGN + amazing article usually don't go together...) here:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/14/50-shades-of-game-gaming-with-colour-blindness

It's 100% accurate in all of it. If you're curious to know more about colorblindness and gaming, from a developer or consumer perspective, this article nails it on the head. There are a lot of misconceptions about colorblindness in the gaming world, or really in all of the world. And it's fair! It's complicated to understand and explain, whether you're colorblind or not.

This article explains it very well.

LadyKianna likes this.
  18. spiritofcat

spiritofcat Big Damn Hero

The L, R and 2 are nice. Well done.

Another accessibility issue that I've noticed with the hotbar, while not directly related to colourblindness, is that the three slots under the hotbar, the middle one of which houses the matter manipulator, don't seem to have keyboard shortcuts.
    I can press the number keys to access slots 1 through 0, and I can hit X to get my weapon out. Z switches hands, but I haven't found a key to switch to the matter manipulator.
    The only way to access those slots is by scrolling the mouse wheel, or by clicking on them.

19. GeorgeV

GeorgeV Art Director

Made the compass thing yellow (does this work for all colorblind types?).

Working on making more unique looking ores today. Ores are kind of annoying because you can only draw a rock so many ways ;p and we have so many ores. Time to get creative. The health thing will be after that. These changes will be in the nightly builds.

The new slots do need hotkeys and we'll probably add some later. Not sure when. It's not something I can do myself unless I'm mistaken.

LadyKianna and SirKaldar like this.
  20. ladders

ladders Intergalactic Tourist

theres an app i use to show my mates what its like being a colourcrippple- chromavision. this might help you plan your colour pallets. ores are my main problem, but to be fair i'm usually gonna dig em out anyway!