Cloning and dead bodies!

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Kregoth, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Kregoth

Kregoth Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Do to the continued discussion on my original suggestion in regards to handling player death and due to the fact I continue to see people discuss things somewhat unrelated to the my intended suggestion. I think it about time to make the idea much clearer it terms of it intended effect on gameplay interaction, which has nothing to do with player loss.

I have always felt in many games that when death simply means reloading a previous save, that it completely invalidates any connection you have toward what you do in the game. Games like Minecraft and Terraria partially had this right, you had to get back to where you died to get back all the lovely loot you had stored on your character, but it was odd to me to just pop back up go back to where I was and only see items strewn about on the ground. Where is my body? Where the body of whoever died here? Why do I just magically appear back where my bed is?

The intended idea is not about obtaining your lost loot, that is up to the Devs to decided. What I am referring to is that when you get back to where ever it was that you died, there is a corpse of your past life/clone and for added immersion can be moved or manipulated in a manor that's fun, or just plain silly (obviously no NSFW stuff, you sicko's) Also the dead bodies wouldn't do anything that could aid the player's progression that would make death something you want, not something to avoid.

To explain how that would work in Starbound I think my best explanation is that upon transporting yourself outside your spaceship, you instead send a clone of yourself in all it's glory, when you die you simply return to you original body. When you head back down again and return you just see a corpse, depending on how the devs wish to handle player loss for dying is irrelevant, and has really nothing to do with the body that is for devs to decide. Besides there tons of suggestion about death, this is about player's dead bodies lol.

None the less I hope this helps clear the air a bit on what I had originally intended this suggestion to really be about, and in hindsight I should have never used the original example of item loss to present it. It's just about having a corpse you can actually interact with to help add some small yet fun immersive feeling as to what happens upon death. Feel free to discuss what other ideas this could be used for, please refrain from posting ideas that are NSFW. Thanks!

You can read the original suggestion here
    I was thinking of how the game can handle death, something along the lines of being more interactive then how games generally handle death.

The idea is when your character dies you spawn in your ship/station through a clone vat where you emerge naked and exposed. To obtain your equipment and all items you previously had, you must first transport you corpse to your station/ship. This can be done through teleportation I guess. You then are capable of grabbing everything off the corpse, you can just click retrieve inventory and get dressed and have all your hotbar items and equipment put back the way they where before.

Your not quiet done yet, You still have a corpse to dispose of and can due so in perhaps several ways. Teleport it back to where it was retrieved? launch it into space? perhaps incinerate it? You could even feed it to your carnivorous animals aboard your ship :) maybe experiment with it and create a Frankenstein android out of your severed limbs :) of course limits would be placed based on the games rating :p

None the less I think this would be really fun it gives a player something to do even after just dying, and it could turn this into the only game where you can actually play with your own corpse/corpses :)

Fleder, Bombzero, Rinney and 16 others like this.
  2. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

So... You would suicide 500 times to get an zombie army...? Looks to much for simply dieing...

Kitty Box, Darthkitten and LLama like this.
  3. Kregoth

Well there would be limitations, I would just rather see the game take a new and unique way of handling death then just save/load, or re-spawn with some silly loss.

4. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

So... I just randomly fell on that planet made 100% from acid, and i have been 70 years moving acid from planet to spaceship whit my bucket to get back my items.

I hate my life.

§hifter and SaneOsiris like this.
  5. ockpii

ockpii The Reel McCoy

Yes, please, yes. And maybe aliens could just casually hop on into the dead bodies and be all like Necromorphs or some crap.

Vesuvia, KwickPhyre and Connor McNew like this.
  6. doused

doused Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i dont really see how it would fit.

7. Pinkie Pie

Pinkie Pie Cosmic Narwhal

Cloning...
    I feel an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie quote coming on...

In all seriousness though, this doesn't really seem like a good idea.

TheLolingPain, Noc and Kristopher like this.
  8. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

GENIUS!

I personally would like to see ressurection medicine thats super expensive and removes death penalty if you drink it within 1 minute before dying.

9. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

That sounds good. Corpses would quickly get... Messy

10. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

Maybe you could use the corpses limbs as ammunition for a certain gun. ;)

11. Kregoth

The idea isn't to make your dead bodies important or necessary for materials or items, that would make death a useless mechanic and would just make the player feel forced to die to get ahead. The idea here is to just add a new and interesting way of dealing with death, instead of just dying and Resurrection. Having some involvement needed to reclaim your stuff is far more fun.

In regards to making something out of your corpse I was referring to more of a comical and/or purely aesthetic addition to reusing you corpses.

12. Bonoshman

Bonoshman Big Damn Hero

It would be pretty cool If, when you died on a certain type of planet, your corpse would zombify with one random weapon you were holding and it wears your armor. All they other stuff drops around him. Think about it though, zombie with best armor and laser gun. kinda terrifying:eek:...

13. BluesClues

BluesClues Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the whole cloning idea because it has a realistic reason for resurrecting from the dead. Going back to where you died to retrieve your whole inventory could be annoying though. I think when you die what you'll drop will depend on the mode you're playing (Starbound's equivalent to hardcore and softcore). Maybe when you die your corpse gets somewhat buried and at night a zombie that looks like you will spawn from there and hunt you down and to retrieve the dropped items you have to kill it. Just an idea...Its pretty much the same as bonoshmans idea.

14. Bonoshman

Bonoshman Big Damn Hero

And then you use the zombie's corpse for... something:sneaky:

samaran123 likes this.
  15. Vaidred

Vaidred Phantasmal Quasar

I like this :D a lot

16. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

Love this, but actually my favourite part of it, in contrast to what most said, is precisely the thing about disposing of one's body. It wouldn't even have to be an advantage, so you could exploit it, it could simply be a thing you should/could do. I mean, god, it's fun having to dispose of your own body, come one guys! Burning your own dead body, anyone?

17. Hebi

Hebi Subatomic Cosmonaut

I dunno, flies attracting and then decay and eventually skeletal remains sounds pretty cool. I will die on one planet millions of times to just have my planet littered with corpses. What about enemies having dead bodies as well?

The Societal Plague likes this.
  18. Zenuel

Zenuel Cosmic Narwhal

I rather love this idea, gives this new aspect to in game death I never thought of, the Diablo 2 retrieval meets something quite unique, I love the idea of using your own corpse for experiments~

19. BluesClues

BluesClues Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe you could create your own npc at the labs with zombie parts that acts as a minion

Drithyl likes this.
  20. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

A minion-self to serve you dinner, how awesome is that?